Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monolithic Proportions (and a side question)
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to demitriusnassy
Default Monolithic Proportions (and a side question)

Greetings from demitriusnassy! Sorry for not posting in a while, been busy and havnt been able plus havnt had anything to post about.

So, as the title states, I have a tactical error of *adopt deep booming voice* Monolithic Proportions. ;D Today, I played a game against an Eldar/Marine alliance with me teamed with marines as well. We only played with 1k each, me with roughly 1100 because my teams marine player only had 900-950. So here was my list:

Lord w/ Res Orb and phase shift

30 warriors divided into 3, 10 man squads

8 scarabs

Monolith

total: 1041

The error was with my deepstriking. I deepstriked in my lith on turn 2, right into the enemies well formed, but fragile battle line. I was relying too much on luck and was a little bit too over confident about the Eldar fragility, and theyre speed. I had already taken out any ranged fire that could knock down my lith, and completely forgot about his wraithlord. I deepstriked right into a bunch of squishy guardians, but missed reserves for the last warrior unit. It was his turn and I wasn't too worried, just waiting till my next turn to unleash the superior firepower and teleport ablities of my Monolith.

My opponent grinned and spread his fragile Eldar away from the monolith in sort of a hallway path from his table edge and the wraithlord moved through to charge range. I had relied too much on the high armor and risked a lot by forgetting about it. It charged during the assault phase, dealing out 2 penetrating hits on my lith, both wrecking it. From there, he proceded to track down my remaining warrior units, 1 being the bodyguard for my Lord, and destroying them. I did last till turn 4 without phasing out, but my team mate had a single unit of 3 regular bolter marines left at the end.

Now I know most of you are going to tell me "dont use a lith under 1500" or "dont use a lith under 2k" etc. This was a friendly game among players that play for fun, not to win and we all try things out just for the heck of it, so please none of that. Moral of the story is just to add another enemy to the relatively small list that can harm, and essentially destroy a monolith.

Now my side question is, does anybody have experience with the "phalanx" formation at 2k? I would like to try it and am having trouble getting it to "work like a machine."

"You dare stand against the might of the millenia and the number of the dead?"

"..." zap. "..."
demitriusnassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 19:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Monolithic Proportions (and a side question)

Remember that the Wraithlord is only +1d6 vs. the Lith's armor, and that the round the lith DS's in the Wraithlord needs 6's to hit. I'd DS near a Wraithlord, odds are you'll be fine.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 19:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also, unusualy, a monolith can particle whip the turn it deepstrikes thanks to its awesome rules!

That happened to me but only he had two wraithlords.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Unless the Wraithlord had a Wraith Sword he wouldn't be likely to even hit the Monolith. and then needing a 5+ on a single D6 to get a penetrating hit... I wouldn't say that you necessarily made a mistake, considering that your Eldar opponent had to react in a big way to your Monolith deepstriking into his lines.

Just remember that Deepstriking vehicles count as moving at Cruising Speed and you can always use the Particle Whip. Always. A.L.W.A.Y.S.

No matter what your opponent says to the contrary. The Monolith's rules say that it can always use the Power Matix and the P. Whip is a function of the Power Matrix. Word.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 17:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmmm.. well the guy insisted that if I deep striked it didn't count as moving so was insta hit. Also he rolled two 5s so he penetrated and rolled two fives for wrecked. I didn't know that the whip could be shot on the deep strike though, so thank you for that.

Ill be playing him again this tuesday, running two monoliths, so I'll be sure to inform him of the rules. Thank you for your help. Now can anyone help me on the phalanx question?

"..." zap. "..."
Old 19 Jul 2009, 17:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The particle whip can always be fired no matter what, also it counts as moving in assault after deepstriking.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 18:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think you probably deepstruck in the right place, just missunderstude how the wraithlord could hit it. 4hits on charge,needing 6s, 4/6, 2/3chance to hit then its a 50% chance it will even scratch it, so unless there a 3 wraithlords you should be fine.

Click to help it grow =)
New Necron Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2009, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Probably, friend. I had actually just got the monolith a few days earlier, and had finished getting it together the morning of the game, which was at 5 pm EST. So I still have to get used to it.

"..." zap. "..."