Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My personal Nightbringer tactics
Old 13 Jul 2009, 05:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My personal Nightbringer tactics

I understand this has been done on this forum, but I'm new and want to contribute. I found on my Necron armies' first game was that the Nightbringer Will. Not. Die. I'm serious until the end of the game He was reaping the rewards of T8 and an Invl Sv of 4+. Then my friends' Necron Warriors shot him down thanks to the Gauss Rule. What my tactic is is to use the NB as a bomb of sorts, get him up close and personal with the enemies toughest unit like, say, a Dreadnought, Abaddon, a Daemon Prince etc. There will be one of two outcomes, one of which is great and the other not so bad. One, the NB will will, trashing the enemy and bringing you that much closer to victory. Two, the NB will die, and explode doing a S6 hit to every unit within D6 inches with no armor saves allowed. Since base to base contact is usually how these climactic one on one assaults go, your enemy is about to be in a world of pain, usually a fatal one.

Hark, there are more tactics! (Well, one more) The Nightbringer has been called cheap, or unfair. I'm going to prove how he has to work for his points. He's slow. That's it. Use scarabs (I got this idea from another poster on the forum, this is by no means my idea) to slow down units you want to kill so the NB can reach them. Factor in the fact he has 5 attacks, of which an average of 3-4 will land, none of which allow for saves and you've got yourself a devastating addition to your army, and your opponent has more dead units to pick up. And there's one final bit of awesome-ness to him. Any one he kills stays dead, no matter what wargear they're loaded with.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: My personal Nightbringer tactics

Theres one good cure to him...Mephiston.

The guy can use psyc powers like candy, giving him greater mobility than the Ctan, he's got sick init and good str. If you happen to run corbulio as well, this boosts mephiston even higher.

Might of Heros boosts your attacks(possible what, nine on the charge?), and your S is high enough to wound. Plus...it's a force weapon, and the Deceiver can be instagibbed.

Even if you completely fail to land anything, your WS is high enough to mitigate some damage, you reduce the Ctans base attacks by 1, and you're tough enough to avoid instant death, and have several wounds. So...try, try again.

This is the exception though. Most characters get utterly dominated in melee by a Ctan.

Addendum: The BS5 plasma pistol helps a wee bit too. Not a ton, but you might land a wound.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

One big problem is that a Tzeench army will dwn him; Breath of Chaos has a higher chance of wounding him than most attacks & it even says under his entry that Boon of Mutation (or 'Gift of Chaos' as it was then) WILL turn him into a Spawn. That's 360pts down the drain AND another asset for the opponent. I'm certain Old Zogwart's Curse will also turn him into a Squig.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 18:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

IMO, the deceiver is a better buy. Both are such combat monsters that it really doesn't matter, the deceiver has hit and run to escape tarpits, the deceive ability helps compensate for the lack of shooty, and the price difference helps as well.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 23:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey, why don't you chaps give the OP a break? He's new to the site, wants to contribute, writes his bit, and all the responses he gets are either about how to destroy the model he's writing about or something else that's better. How is that supposed to make him feel? How is that supposed to improve this tactica? Wouldn't it be more constructive to warn him about these things and how to counter them should he come across them rather than, basically, go 'my guy's better than your guy' which is how it currently looks?
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 04:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
IMO, the deceiver is a better buy. Both are such combat monsters that it really doesn't matter, the deceiver has hit and run to escape tarpits, the deceive ability helps compensate for the lack of shooty, and the price difference helps as well.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Hey, why don't you chaps give the OP a break? He's new to the site, wants to contribute, writes his bit, and all the responses he gets are either about how to destroy the model he's writing about or something else that's better. How is that supposed to make him feel? How is that supposed to improve this tactica? Wouldn't it be more constructive to warn him about these things and how to counter them should he come across them rather than, basically, go 'my guy's better than your guy' which is how it currently looks?
Sure he wants to contribute... so does everyone else. They gave their views which statistically are more correct.

Simply put, whilst the Nightbringer can be fun, the Deciever is simply a better unit point for point. Both are still sinks and shouldnt be used competitivly however.

Tho The Nightbringer is BY FAR the best Tank hunter in the necron codex. A raider and something else like a dread and he had made his points back...
Old 15 Jul 2009, 15:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I just wanted to point out that like the Deceiver, the Nightbringer has a trick to get out of Tarpits. Lest we forget the Etheric Tempest... Not quite the same thing but it will get you away from things with a strength of less than 4. Unmodified strength of for so that counts for Ork Boyz!