Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

interaction between We'll Be Back and Phase Out question
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jul 2009, 19:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb
Default interaction between We'll Be Back and Phase Out question

This argument popped up yesterday during a game, I let him have it to save time but it caused me to lose. I would like confirmation now.

Are Necron models that have been killed and waiting for their WBB roll still counted as "on the field" for counting Phase Out? Example: Necron player starts with 40 Necron models. Around turn 5, his count is down to 9 after shooting. Does he immediately Phase Out due to casualties, or to the kills have to be confirmed via failed WBB rolls before they count?

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
Old 01 Jul 2009, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: interaction between We'll Be Back and Phase Out question

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...th_Edition.pdf

Unfortunately they count as downed when they are waiting for their We'll Be Back roll and the game ends.
Old 01 Jul 2009, 19:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Normally you would wait to see the results of the WBB roll before declaring phase out. Unless the game ends, then they are just down and not counted.
Old 01 Jul 2009, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Phase Out is only checked at the start of the Necron turn, immediately AFTER rolls for We'll Be Back are made. Ergo, it is IMPOSSIBLE for there to be downed Necron models on the tabletop when Phase Out is checked for as they have either just gotten back up or just been removed from the table.
[hr]
Old 01 Jul 2009, 20:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Phase Out is only checked at the start of the Necron turn, immediately AFTER rolls for We'll Be Back are made. Ergo, it is IMPOSSIBLE for there to be downed Necron models on the tabletop when Phase Out is checked for as they have either just gotten back up or just been removed from the table.
Actually, I believe there is one case: Leaving Necrons who failed their WBB until your Movement Phase, where they will get a second chance when brought through a Monolith portal.

But, yeah, that is it.
Old 01 Jul 2009, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Actually, I believe there is one case: Leaving Necrons who failed their WBB until your Movement Phas3, where they will get a second chance when brought through a Monolith portal.

But, yeah, that is it.
Also remember that phase out will be checked before they get another attempt for WBB, and will not count as standing models for WBB purposes.
Old 01 Jul 2009, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Aye. The re-rolled models don't get their re-roll until AFTER the check for Phase Out. I was just bringing it up to make sure any exceptions are accounted for.
Old 02 Jul 2009, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Aye. The re-rolled models don't get their re-roll until AFTER the check for Phase Out. I was just bringing it up to make sure any exceptions are accounted for.
Actually, no. PO occurs after ALL WBB rolls have been made (page 13 of the Codex: Necron). Thus, the check of PO is made after the models have been ported through the Monolith, not before.

Thus, after Turn 5, the Necron army might phase out. Roll, and if the game ends the army phases out otherwise continue play into Turn 6.
Old 02 Jul 2009, 13:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The way I read it, you essentially never check for phase out if there is a model "down" waiting to make his check. Only after all those currently on the ground have either stood up or been removed do you make the Phase Out test.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 17:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatAvatar
Quote:
Actually, no. PO occurs after ALL WBB rolls have been made (page 13 of the Codex: Necron). Thus, the check of PO is made after the models have been ported through the Monolith, not before.
But it stands to reason that you would check for PO before the monolith is going to do anything. If the mechanics worked that way, then there could be two different times to check for phase out (whether or not the monolith in on the field, destroyed, or maybe not even included in the army), which there isn't. Or stranger still, you force a wait time in between the real phase out time and that where the monolith MIGHT make some stand back up, and decide to shoot the main gun anyways, along with a normal shooting phase.