10 Scarabs w/Dfields
10 Scarabs w/Dfields
4 Pariahs
6 Flayed Ones
6 Flayed Ones
3 Tomb Spyders
3 Tomb Spyders
3 Tomb Spyders

I had 2 real games, first was vs. a skilled Ork player with a CC army. We had a draw, me getting 15 and him getting 13. If the game could have gone to an 8th round I'd have had him. Second was vs. a very competative Death Guard/ Oblit list, I took all 22 points.

Anyone who thinks Necrons can't do CC needs to take a closer look at the codex and the 5th edition rules. Our CC army struggles with KP missions, but objectives are a lockdown.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I'm back, CC Necrons go 2-0-1 at Maul in the Mall

Well it is a Zilla list and anyone who underestimates a Zilla list. If you go to the woods today you'll be in for a big surprise as the Spyders are having a picnic.

How good were the Flayed Ones over say taking Immortals or more Warriors or even destroyers? I think I would not have the intestinal fortitude to run the FOs over the other choices. I think it might be fun outflanking these guys and assaulting. In 5ed we know that the phalanx is the way to go, though. No one really wantsd to attack a phalanx with Pariahs and a Deceiver. However I like the HQ, troops and Spyders a lot. I wrote a list up a while back with Tomb Spyders but at the time no one was listening. I believe it is one of the strongest Necron builds.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,29705.0.html

In the end I dropped a two warrior squad, added the Nightbringer and some scarab swarms as well. I played the list until I retired my Necrons sometimes adding Immortals or Destroyers.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 20:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

What are the tactics of this list? How do you keep the warriors safe from PO? I mean i could make assumptions but I'd like to hear what worked for you personally.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 21:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaBebe
Well it is a Zilla list and anyone who underestimates a Zilla list. If you go to the woods today you'll be in for a big surprise as the Spyders are having a picnic.

How good were the Flayed Ones over say taking Immortals or more Warriors or even destroyers? I think I would not have the intestinal fortitude to run the FOs over the other choices. However I like the HQ, troops and Spyders a lot. I wrote a list up a while back with Tomb Spyders but at the time no one was listening. I believe it is one of the strongest Necron builds.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,29705.0.html

In the end I dropped a two warrior squad, added the Nightbringer and some scarab swarms as well. I played the list until I retired my Necrons sometimes adding Immortals or Destroyers.
I tested the Flayed ones, and they are surprisingly good in CC, although they falter against units like assault marines. This was a 4 man Flayed one squad Vs 5 Marine Assault, with a power weapon.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 12:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've played with both Pariahs and Flayed ones. In a list like 40kenthusiast's list I would be sorely tempted to drop both for Immortals. Of course, he is going for an all cc theme here but the Spyders and swarms will be charging not shooting and the big 'D' can really mop up in cc. Thr Imortals have to be better.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 13:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Looks cool. My list uses a destroyer lord instead of flayed ones, in order to give a scarab unit more punch...also, less d-fields. But very similar overall. And yeah, it's horrifically effective.

Massive, massive beatdown against most things, assault terminators in quantity are the only real problem.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I hadn't checked this site in a while. In order to satisfy the curiosity I'll transplant the Batrep from dakka.

In a spirit of bold, persistent experimentation I brought my Mechagodzilla Crons to the Maul in the Mall. This is a big tournament (60ish folks), for the region, just had its 4th annual.

My list:

Deceiver
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
6 Flayed Ones
6 Flayed Ones
4 Pariahs
10 Scarabs w/Dfields
10 Scarabs w/Dfields
10 Scarabs w/Dfields
3 Tomb Spyders
3 Tomb Spyders
3 Tomb Spyders

My assessment:

I think this list is dynamite. With the exception of KP missions, I expect to take any mission I get, without much effort. The Flayed Ones and Pariahs weaken the list a bit, they should be Immortals, but I've been wanting someone to whine about Pariahs and Flayed Ones for like a year.

Game #1:

The mission:
Deployment zone: Modified Dawn of War, you deploy your whole army, so its just half board deployment zones that let you shove them back 18"
Primary: Table quarters, can only take or contest w/scoring units
Secondary: Have more units (any type) on their side than they have on yours
Tertiary: Kill more non-scoring units than they do

Random rule: One of your units gets outflank, and must do so

Enemy list:

Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Lord w/lightning claw, mark of Tzeentch
8 Berserkers, champ has plasma pistol, power weapon
8 Berserkers, champ has power weapon
8 Berserkers, champ has power fist
8 Havocs, variety of heavy weapons
6 Chaos Space Marines, 2 powerfists, 1 Chainfist, 1 reaper autocannon
10 Chaos Space Marines
Possessed Vindicator
Possessed Land Raider

The game:

Game #2:

The mission:

Spearhead deployment
Primary objective: Have more of the 4 objectives than your foe, anything can capture/contest
Secondary objective: Have claimed at any time all 4 objectives
Tertiary objective: Keep your own HQ alive

Grotsnik (RedToof)
Big Mek w/forcefield
30 shoota boys w/PK Nob
30 Slugga boys w/PK Nob
20 Slugga boys w/PK Nob
5 Mega Nobs w/Battlewagon w/deff rolla
X Grots w/keeper with squig hound
3 buggies w/twin linked rokkits
3 Killa Kans
Battlewagon w/Deff rolla

Game #3:

The mission:

Primary objective: Kill more VPs than opponent
Secondary objective: Kill their HQ and keep yours alive
Tertiary objective: Get > 2000 VPs

Random rule: All units recycle ala sustained assault, can either outflank or come on from own board edge

Opponent:

Chaos Lord w/deamon weapon, MoN
4 units of Plague Marines (7 or 8 strong) with various special weapons and sarge upgrades, 2 have fists, 2 weapons
2 units of 2 Obliterators
1 Defiler
2 Dreadnaughts with CCW, twin linked lascannon

Actual battle reports coming up in subsequent post, I need to get to work.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Game #1:

The first game, I swiftly realized, was not a genuine contest. My foe didn't know the rules, or only barely.

I was confronted with a choice, and chose the more friendly option. I explained each thing to him and we had a sort of a teaching game.

I took primary and secondary, and lost Tertiary due to feeding him sacrificial units. Truthfully, he didn't know what was going on, I could have taken Tertiary as well, but it would have meant that the game was pure bleakness for him, with him losing units and not getting the chance to kill anything. Instead I sent wave after wave of scarabs + spyders at his units and gradually wore them down, so he ended up with only one troop unit left, while I'd lost ludicrous numbers of nonscoring units. Since I was blitzing all the action was in his zone, so Big D gave me secondary.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Game #2: Vs. Orks

The mission:

Spearhead deployment
Primary objective: Have more of the 4 objectives than your foe, anything can capture/contest
Secondary objective: Have claimed at any time all 4 objectives
Tertiary objective: Keep your own HQ alive

Enemy list:

Grotsnik (RedToof)
Big Mek w/forcefield
30 shoota boys w/PK Nob
30 Slugga boys w/PK Nob
20 Slugga boys w/PK Nob
5 Mega Nobs w/Battlewagon w/deff rolla
X Grots w/keeper with squig hound
3 buggies w/twin linked rokkits
3 Killa Kans
Battlewagon w/Deff rolla
Stormboyz

Deployment:

The objectives are spaced in a fairly ordinary fashion, each in one quarter (hereafter the NE, SE, NW, SW objectives), and there's a big house in the center, no other terrain to speak of. In particular there's no terrain by the objectives.

I put 5 Spyders along the north side, 4 Spyders along the South side, one unit of Warriors in reserve and the other on the South edge, and the Deceiver central. Scarabs follow up, flayed ones are outflanking.

He puts the big slugga boy unit in the north, big shoota boy unit in the south, Grotsnik and his Meganobs in a Battlewagon, the smaller unit of slugga boys in the other wagon, and the Big Mek somewhere far from the front line...The kans are backing up the south side and the buggies are backing up the north side. Grots camp on the NE objective. Stormboyz are slightly south, but can go either way with their preposterous move.

I redeploy Big D onto the South side.

Top 1:

I move my Spyders forward, aiming for just beyond his charge range, spawn one bug each. Big D moves and Runs to be the closest guy to Grotsnik. I boost the scarabs to good charge positions, except for one unit that I put in the way of his Slugga boys in the south.

Bottom 1:

He moves in both directions, fires his rokiits at Spyders and doesn't get much done. His Stormboyz charge and crush a Spyder on the South side, his big mobs are just beyond charge range, and he sends Grotsnik + the Meganobs into Big D (makes his Pariah modified Leadership check to charge).

Big D doesn't redirect, instead he kills 4 Meganobs before they can swing. The last meganob and Grotsnik do a wound to the Deceiver.

Top 2:

A unit of Flayed Ones comes in, outflanking onto his side. I send them to attack one of his battlewagons, the one with the guys in it. I put a scarab unit unsupported into the slugga boys in the south, and mob the Stormboys with the remaining 4 spyders + the Pariahs. Deceiver is trapped in combat. In the north, I do the big charge, 3 spyders + a scarab each and 10 scarabs vs. his slugga boys.

We crush the Stormboys, the scarabs don't all die vs. the sluggas, and in the north there's mass carnage, both sides diminishing at around the same rate. Deceiver kills the last meganob, puts a wound on Grotsnik.

Bottom 2:

Battle continues in the north, in the south the slugga boys finish off the sacrificial scarab. His unit hops out of the battlewagon and kills the Flayed Ones, Deceiver misdirects out of the combat. He drives his empty Battlewagon over the Pariahs and 2 spyders, kills 2 Pariahs.

Top 3:

Deceiver deceives the Grots into fleeing, and charges the remaining wagon, blowing it up. The last Scarab unit and 4 Spyders charges into the slugga boys south, beginning another epic combat. Everyone shoots at Grotsnik, but he doesn't take any damage. We attack the wagon with a spyder + the Pariahs, don't get much done, take its weapons off i think.

Bottom 3:

Grotsnik runs a spyder over, the battles grind on, his buggies are circling the northern battle, ready to pounce on any spyders who win, though its not clear who will win. His last mobile unit charges the Deceiver, but misdirects, despite my vow that he wouldn't. He shoots his Kans at the last free spyder, which I think is an error, they should have charged into the scarabs in the south battle. The Grots rally. His BW drives onto the SW objective.

Top 4:

Battles continue, Deceiver charges and crushes 2 of the 3 Kans, the last loses its arm. We win the south and north battle, the north we have just one spyder, but its on the NW objective. Deceiver claimed the NE objective momentarily. The northern Spyder charges the buggies while making another Scarab, takes one's weapon. Pariahs destroy the last BW.

Bottom 4:

Grotsnik, that hound of hell, destroys another Spyder, I'm sort of out of them in the south, particularly after the last Ork unit starts heading south.

Top 5:

Spyders attacks NW, last unit of Warriors finally comes in, moves onto SW objective. I move existing unit up onto the SE objective. Deceiver comes down and kills Grotsnik, f'ing finally.

Bottom 5: His buggies shoot the NW spyder, don't kill it, and his grots camp on the NE objective, while his Orks move + charge the surviving spyders and kill them. If the game ends here its' a draw, 1 for me, 2 contested, one for him.

Top 6:

Deceiver heads for his last safe objective in the NW, trying to scare the grots off. Necrons shoot down his last Ork unit, we take the SE objective. Spyder misses the buggies.

Bottom 6: The last Kan, with no arm, charges the warriors in the SW, breaking them and taking my SW objective. Argh! In the north, however, the Deceiver breaks the grots (killed the Big Mek) and takes the NE objective for the Necrons!! His buggies shoot down the last spyder, and take the NW objective permanently.

Thus, at game's end he's got the NW and SE, while I've got the NE and SW, for a primary draw. We both got the secondary, and I got tertiary. It was an amazing slobberknocker of a game. Trading objectives, massed assaults, huge waves of dice hitting the table. Definitely a great game. EDIT: In truth, it went 7 rounds, I've condensed it somwhat, due to faulty memory.

Deceiver was an amazing MVP. He killed: 5 Meganobs, a Battlewagon, Grotsnik, 2 Killa Kans, a Big Mek, and a unit of Grots. Definitely glad to get him out of the box.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Game #3:

The mission:

Primary objective: Kill more VPs than opponent
Secondary objective: Kill their HQ and keep yours alive
Tertiary objective: Get > 2000 VPs

Random rule: All units recycle ala sustained assault, can either outflank or come on from own board edge. Also, HQ's are worth double VPs.

Opponent:

Chaos Lord w/deamon weapon, MoN
4 units of Plague Marines (7 or 8 strong) with various special weapons and sarge upgrades, 2 have fists, 2 weapons
2 units of 2 Obliterators
1 Defiler
2 Dreadnaughts with CCW, twin linked lascannon
Greater Daemon

Pregame:

Ok, at this point I'm on table 3, which would be within striking distance of overall if I had better soft scores. Unfortunately, I don't. My only shot is for max battle points, if the guys above me have a big stalemate and I can crush my foe. This mission seems like it could have a lot of draws, so there's a chance.

I'm up against one of the Blade and Bolter boys though, which is a fierce club. The thing I had going for me is that he hasn't seen anything like my army before, and while he understands all the pieces, he is unlikely to be able to put together a good idea of how the whole thing functions.

That said, when we consider the mission, its not so bad for either of us. I can't phase out while constantly recycling Necrons, so I can use them in front lines, but he's free to use his plague marines to krump things, rather than needing to sit them on objectives. More importantly, if he denies my Deceiver melee combat, I'm not going to be able to survive those Oblits for the full game. I've got to get him stuck in pronto.

I think I can take the primary, if he doesn't run away all game (which is hard to do with outflanking Scarab swarms), but the secondary is dicy. Tertiary is likely to happen for everyone, as there's no motive to hold back.

Deployment:

I get first turn, put my 9 Tomb Spyders in a line as far forward as possible, Scarabs behind them, Necrons behind them. Flayed Ones infiltrate in front of them. Pariahs in the middle. Deceiver front and center. It's a very British Redcoat style of deployment, long lines, etc. I'm hoping to lure him into matching it.

He's too smart for that. He puts his guys in their rhinos squarely on the back line, he puts the Defiler on the back line, then puts a Dread in each corner. This is a terrible error. If he wants to shoot with them they ought to be in one corner together, or in the back middle. In those corners they are a way for my spyders to get back in the game after outflanking. I don't think he's played this mission before. His lord lurks in a rhino, and my trash talk fails to lure him into a duel with my HQ.

Top 1:

My army rushes forward, each spyder makes the requisite one scarab, Scarabs turbo boost, soldiers walk + run. Deceiver grand illusioned onto the right flank, and rolls a 6 on run, which is always cute.

Bottom 1:

He gets his soldiers out of his rhinos, moves up, shoots the swarms, and plunges right in! Great news for me, with only 2 fists they won't penetrate scarab swarms in time to massacre back and avoid the Spyders. He has an unlucky round with the rest of his guy's shooting, not hitting Big D even once. He gets out his dice rolling box, but it doesn't help his fortune.

Side note: People of the world, who use dice rolling boxes, I implore you. Make em slant inward on the inner rim, so dice don't land so near the lip that players can't see. It makes folks unconsciously lean forward, and it kills backs. Please, think of the children!

I make a radical decision at this point. I elect not to roll attacks for my scarabs vs. his Death guard. I lose some wounds, sure, but I'd rather have the time, and make sure I get the whole game in. The spyders do the damage in my army anyway.

Top 2:

Deceiver + 6 of the Spyders make assaults, immediately start chewing through his units. None die this round. The Pariahs also assault in, and one unit of Flayed ones got assaulted in his blitz last round, so they are engaged.

Bottom 2:

He shoots at the Necrons, his Greater Daemon doesn't come in.He's got 6 lascannons, one battle cannon, not really enough to do much damage to spread out Necrons, particularly with all the cover. In the assault phase he loses 2 of his units, free Deceiver and some Spyders.

Top 3:

The Spyders continue to swarm his units, one of them died, so it outflanks and pounces on a Dread after creating a scarab. Deceiver moves up and smashes his Defiler. A dead unit of Scarabs turbo boosts over to block his Lord's escape route.

Bottom 3:

He brings in his warriors, and sends his Lord out of the Rhino to join them. 2 units of Plague Marines open up on the Deceiver, then charge in with the Lord accompanying. I consider misdirecting, but I really need to kill that Lord, and if he gets back into the Rhino it'll be a pain. Deceiver takes the charge, takes a wound and kills his Lord (he rolled a one for his Daemon weapon, ouch). The main scrum is over now, save for one of his units which is on the flank. I think it gets the greater Daemon this round. Spyders are approaching. His destroyed Dread returns and pounces on the Spyder, killing it right back.

Top 4 + rest of game.

I just continue crushing plague marines with tomb spyders and scarabs. He can't ever catch up on points, since he's hemmoraghing them on the Dreads + Defilers that are dying on the outflanks, and there isn't any trade he can profitably make. I play it safe with Big D. He crunches plague marines in my assault phase, misdirects in his. The game ends in the 5th, which prevents him from getting the 2k tertiary.

This was a good game, I feel like the scenario + my oddball army kind of mugged Aldonis, would definitely welcome a rematch. Still, nice to end the tourney on a 22. I ended up with 57 battle points for the day. The winner had 66 though. I credit the Flayed Ones and Pariahs with my success.

As always the Maul in the Mall was a great tourney. They had 52 participants, and everyone seemed to have a blast. Playing the Necrons again was great after a long absence. That's definitely my favorite codex.