Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Important fluffy questions about Necrons.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Important fluffy questions about Necrons.

Do Necrons move about with some pourpose (or plan) in mind; or are they like (slightly) mindless machines? Machines that would just move systematically across a planet's surface until there is no life left?

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Important fluffy questions about Necrons.

in the biginning necrons retained some of their former personality but everytime they die it fades more untill all the current ones are mindless. lords however have a much bigger degree of awareness and formulate battle plans in an instant (corretc me if i am wrong but in the rule book it quotes necron lords).

Most likely they will have a C'tan telling them where to go or the lord just drew up a plan involving those systems as they always work towards a common goal:

Destroy the warp and capture all life for consuming by C'tan!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Honestly anyone lower than a C'Tan (the 4 we know of) is a mindless killing machine that detests life.

This is how I see them at least.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 02:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

once upon a time (this is what I found) the necrontyr made a deal with the c'tan to be immortal at a price. The necrontyr were then encased in mettalic bodys. the transfer dulled their minds and they became slaves of the c'tan. Harvesting life for the c'tan to fiest on.
NecronLordOfKronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Yes, what NecronLord said.
The C'tan want to go OM NOM NOM till nothing is left, then they go to sleep for several thousand years and when theres plentiful life again... well you know.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 03:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

All necrons follow the will of the C'tan, and as was mentioned most of them have devolved into programable killing machines. Programable in the sense that there must be some battlefield order that often cannot be relayed directly by a C'tan, this power was passed on to the necron lords. While the lords have lost all their personality and freedom of thought and opinion they have retained their sense of logic and are thus able to make calculated decisions on the battlefield and relay those orders to the rest of the legion. In this way the necron lords are not simply mindless killing machines but have essentially evolved into a form of artificial intelligence. They cannot question the will of their master, they can only formulate tactics and strategies to achieve their ultimate goal.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 01:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Most existing Necron background has them as mindless, with even Necron Lords being barely able to think. However, fifth edition leans away from this, and so really, you could have a mindless harvesting army or an actual preserved civilization.

Considering the scale of the War in Heaven, which (depending on which source you use) ranged from an entire galaxy to thousands of galaxies, there would definitely have been a massive amount of Necrontyr and, subsequently, Necrons.
Zahr Dalsk is offline   Reply With Quote