Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necron Newb, How's My Army??
Old 06 May 2009, 04:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Necron Newb, How's My Army??

Hey what's up everyone? I'm new to this who thing but I'm getting more and more familiar with it and my army is almost completely built and I just wanted to ask you pros for some advice or tips since I want to be awesome at this game and rule with my Necrons ;D

Here's what I have so far....
1 - Necron Lord with Res Orb
1 - Necron Destroyer Lord
48 - Necron Warriors
12 - Scarabs
6 - Necron Destroyers
1 - Monolith
1 - tomb Spyder

And that's all for now. I'm gonna go ahead and buy another Spyder that's for sure. But I'm not sure if I should go and buy 3 Heavy Destroyers or another Monolith. And finally the most important question should I buy 10 Immortals or 10 Flayed Ones? Every has told me Flayed Ones but from this forum I've been hearing otherwise. So what do you guys think? I'm trying to have a solid army for any apposing army that may come my way so any tips or advice would be awesome, thanks.
Old 06 May 2009, 04:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Necron Newb, How's My Army??

Well flayed ones are good tie up units, but immortals will probably do more overall damage, and they can keep their distance. It's really just a matter of preference really. The Flayed Ones go nice with other CC oriented crons such as supporting a unit of scarabs or wraiths. Immortals are a fairly reliable firebase that can lend fantastic support/suppression fire. Immortals are a great choice if you like the shooty route.

Flayed ones are cheaper to buy simply because they come two to a blister as opposed to the immortals one. That is if finances are an issue to you. (It was for me when I started Necrons)

I would suggest some heavy Destroyers for some anti-tank capability but so far what you have is pretty solid. Definitely a good starting place.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 04:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

seems like a good balanced start.

you should try to have immortals (8-10models) to augment it and another monolith if you have the budget.

With that you can have an all comers list for 2K points.
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Cool very nice indeed, so what about the Heavy Destroyers should I skip on them and just get the Monolith instead? I think I will switch for the Immortals just for the toughness and more fire power.
Old 09 May 2009, 02:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would say don't get another monolith or heavy destroyers. Invest in another tomb spyder and 3 wraiths, then once you get you're 10 immortals go out and buy some flayed ones. I think unit diversity is key for necrons, spamming a single unit isn't very fun/challenging/fluffy. Once you get a grasp of each unit in the necron army and understand how to use them then you can double up on monolith's and such. Personally, I never use more than one monolith under 2000 points.
Old 09 May 2009, 05:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi636
Cool very nice indeed, so what about the Heavy Destroyers should I skip on them and just get the Monolith instead? I think I will switch for the Immortals just for the toughness and more fire power.
Heavy D's are cool if you spam it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi636
I want to be awesome at this game and rule with my Necrons
If this be your goal then another Lith trumps 3 Heavy Ds.
1 Liths strikes fear, 2 strikes awesomeness.

I would try to avoid Pariah's and Flayers if I can.

omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 16:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

that sounds like a good army but what you should really get is a Monolith. And here is a great 1000pt. list i might suggest playing. I have personally used this list in past tournaments and have won many games with it.

Necron Lordx1
-Res Orb
-Veil of Darkness

Warriorsx12
warriorsx11

Monolithx1

Destroyersx3

Have the Lord with the squad of 12 just jumping from spot to spot and unleashing death at 12". Then use your squad of 11 warriors to weed out anything that seems to either be running away or holding objectives. The Destroyers I suggest would be to keep them back away from enemy fire and concentrate them on things that are coming to close or seem to be a nucince. And for the big finale deepstrike your monolith in a spot that you think might have the best effect for any enemy units trying to run. Another thing is hold some units in reserve like the Destroyers and the Monolith. Hope this all helps. You can pm me if you would like more help with tactics for necrons!!