Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necrons vs. Tau
Old 10 Apr 2009, 03:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Necrons vs. Tau

Ok, me and my friend just got ourselves each a 1600 point army. Me being Necrons, him being Tau. And next week, we're about to have our first real match against each other (we had a couple earlier ones, but that was the Assault on Black Reach game, so w/e)

So far, I know that he has 24 kroot carnivores, 36 fire warriors, 3 crisis suits, 1 commander, Aun'va, 2 hammerheads, 1 pirahna, and a lotta gun drones. add up the special weapons he has, his army is 1585 pts.

My army is made up of 40 Necron Warriors, 10 scarabs, 3 destroyers, 1 Tomb Spyder, 1 Necron Lord w/ VoD, Rezorb, and warscythe, and the Deceiver. I do have 2 Flayed ones and 2 Immortals, but they're not in my army yet cuz not big enough for a squad. all in all, about 1600 pts. worth.

b4 I go into that battle next week, I need to know about how the necrons work and how the tau work.
How can I use my Necron army effectively? How do I combat a Tau army w/ Necrons? Necron strengths and weaknesses, and Tau strengths and weaknesses?

Any help would be great.
btw, if you want me to, I'll post up a battle report once the fight ends.

"Have you ever met a Necron Lord face to face? One of two things will happen to you if you do: You will die, or the Lord will strike irrational terror into your heart, THEN kill you. I prefer the latter option."
--- Vereoratrox, Necron Lord of the Noctis Incendia
ShadowAngel159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Necrons vs. Tau

Well, as Tau, I can tell you right off the bat: you've got a 205pt advantage at least. The Space Pope (Aun'Va) is less than useless.

Tau's strengths are mobile firepower with a limited durability (Eldar can outmove and outshoot us, but they won't win in a resilience contest). Their Jet Packs are very useful for getting into range and then escaping enemy retaliation (Known as JSJ or Jump-Shoot-Jump). Railguns are pretty much synonymous pwn so you're lucky he doesn't have any. When I play 'crons I use my Railguns to Insta-gib any Destroyers (tip for you: get/use more Destroyers).

Weaknesses? CC. Seriously, I've had a fricking XV-88 with Shield Drones get killed by 3 scarab swarms in CC. Kroot could do some damage to you, but they've got no save so you can shred them if they're out of cover.

Luckily for you, he doesn't seem to have much mobility in his list (i.e. no tanks/transport). EDIT: Doh, didn't see the HH's

Unluckily for you I don't know Necrons well, so I'll shut-up now. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll take a swing at it. Don't underestimate the charge of a large kroot squad. With a good enough numerical advantage (2 to 1, I think) they will wipe out a warrior squad, and that's the one situation where there is no We'll Be Back! Anything but warriors should be able to beat the kroot in melee, or if you can get them out of cover they go down very fast. You said he has two hammerheads but not whether he runs them with ion cannon or railguns. In either case, they're dangerous to you. Ion cannons are one of the few Tau weapons that penetrate 3+ armor, railgun single-shot is the most dangerous threat known to a monolith, and the railgun submunition will remove two scarab bases for each unsaved wound. (There is some debate about this, but in my opinion Instant Death and Vulnerable to Blasts DO stack.)

You are both pretty heavy to foot-slogging rapid-firing infantry (both kinds of warrior). His outrange yours by 6 inches, though, so if he gets 2nd deployment and can eyeball the range properly he will be able to whittle you down some before you get close. Generally, Tau have the advantage in mobility, although VoD (that's the deep-strike-around-the-board thing, right?) will help with that some. His battle suits will be hard to pin down, but gauss-weaponing the tanks will keep them from being too dangerous.

As Ahab said, Tau are awful at close combat, so even your warriors will win decisively against his. Under 5th edition rules, though, when the first squad runs the rest are able to pour a LOT of rapid-fire into the unit that killed them. Necrons are tough, but 2 full squads of fire warriors in rapid fire will put out 48 shots that hit on 4's and wound on 3's. Statistically, that should drop (lemmee see here) 8 warriors, and if he has markerlight support or other units helping out you could end up losing the whole squad.

Oh, almost forgot: Gun drone shots are pinning, as are fire warrior shots if he gives them carbines instead of rifles (most players don't). There are also rail rifles, (which it doesn't look like you'll be facing) and one crisis suit weapon that is pinning. Necron leadership is better than Tau, but they aren't nearly as hard to pin as some other armies.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2009, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thx alot for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to win lol.

another question: I just found out that he's getting I think 4-10 pathfinders in the mail, and I know one has a railrifle. should I be worried, or are they not all that great?

"Have you ever met a Necron Lord face to face? One of two things will happen to you if you do: You will die, or the Lord will strike irrational terror into your heart, THEN kill you. I prefer the latter option."
Old 11 Apr 2009, 04:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pathfinders can greatly increase the efficiency of the points he spent.
Or die really fast. Or both .
Markerlights; among decreasing cover saves, enforcing leadership penalies to pinning tests, and calling in Seeker Missles (if he has any on vehicles) are best known for being able to increase a firing unit's BS by 1 for every token expended. Sidenote Markerlights are fired like normal to hit, no saves can ever be taken against them, and each successful hit places a Markerlight Token on the target unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAngel159
should I be worried, or are they not all that great?
>
Fear, oh metal-skinned abomination. Fear...

He will teach you that you have no reason to; if he brings only one rail rifle... Actually even if he had 3 Sniper Drone Teams you could survive, WBB is practically a 4+ cover save that can't be tampered and you get regardless of positioning. You'll do fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2009, 18:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Learn to love your scarabs! You can turbo boost them 24" and get a 2++ save on them as well as providing cover for the units behind them. You can also use them to tie up squads in CC. Charge those scarabs into some battle suits and you've pretty much negated that unit for the entire game.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2009, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heck, against tau, my scarabs win half the battle for me. Three units of them on turn two...Im literally killing off any infantry on foot, since I'll likely win combat against them by virtue of the number of attacks.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 03:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol sweet!

Old 12 Apr 2009, 03:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

Yeah honestly if you two are both new to warhammer I would expect him to be on here asking instead of you. The resiliencey of Necrons is such a pain in the ass for Tau is rediculous.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol yeah well, I'm more of the "get-help-from-others-for-games" kind of guy. my friend is the look-online-and-figure-it-out-himself guy. lol