Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

planning out a necron army
Old 28 Mar 2009, 20:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default planning out a necron army

hey everybody! since i now have a job i can afford to buy a new army. necrons randomly decided to catch my eye. i'm not really digging the immortals idea. i tried to start a wraithguard army(didnt work out too well) so i'm trying to find an alternative route.

from what i've heard scarabs are fantastic, so using a combination of tomb spyders and fast attack scarabs sound good. i would prefer to not use heavy destroyers for anti-tank but i feel like thats the only option for it.

if this post seems a bit nooby im sorry. but i am using my phone to post this
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: planning out a necron army

Ive got a 2k list consisting of nine spyders, 30 scarabs(I actually have about fifty models, to keep up with the spyders), minimal troops, a destroyer lord, four pariahs, and the deceiver.

It has something like a 95% win ratio, and has never been tabled. The only problem Ive had with it is kill point missions in 5th ed. On those...you pretty much have to table your opponent.

Works equally well at 1500pts, just drop the expensive padding. Keep the destroyer lord with the scarabs to add some punch, and you should have plenty of units in combat second turn, locking things up for the inevitible spyder feast.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 21:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

im not a fan of characters what so ever, and the that many scarabs isnt what i am aiming for, i like warriors. i'm unsure if i want a destroyer lorf without any destroyers, although they are more towards shooting where as the lord is more CC.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 23:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lords aren't CC or shooty, they're support. Unlike most armies, your HQ isn't supposed to be the defining character in your army. He is merely there to support your forces.

I would suggest playing vassal games to test out what you like. I myself am also a fan of warriors and despise special characters. My list looks something like Lord + orb/VoD, immortals, warriors, scarabs, 2x tomb spiders and a monolith. In larger points I throw a destroyer lord with a squad of destroyers to pick off easy targets.

Scarabs are truely amazing and are my favorite unit in all of 40k. They benefit from having a +1 to the cover save provided from turbo boosting, so you can shield your entire army as well as tie up lots of squads to prevent them from shooting you.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 16:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would recommend scarabs any day even just two can hold of a whole eldar dark reaper unit for three turns it would have lasted longer but they killed the reapers (this happened today ).
Old 01 Apr 2009, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Lords aren't CC or shooty, they're support. Unlike most armies, your HQ isn't supposed to be the defining character in your army. He is merely there to support your forces.

I would suggest playing vassal games to test out what you like. I myself am also a fan of warriors and despise special characters. My list looks something like Lord + orb/VoD, immortals, warriors, scarabs, 2x tomb spiders and a monolith. In larger points I throw a destroyer lord with a squad of destroyers to pick off easy targets.

Scarabs are truely amazing and are my favorite unit in all of 40k. They benefit from having a +1 to the cover save provided from turbo boosting, so you can shield your entire army as well as tie up lots of squads to prevent them from shooting you.
i completely agree here, but my necrons are 5000+ points so i do all kinds of crazy stuff
Old 01 Apr 2009, 16:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

A scarab filled list sounds awsome but there is one combo which is nasty, tau pathfinders take away your cover save and then submuition you. Still, that is the only thing I would worry about.
A solution would be to take a unit of flayed ones and deep strike them near the most expensive squad, this should work for guard and tau as they will try to kill them completely and your scarabs will take less fire. Either that or they will ignore them and the flayed ones hack their way through part of the eemy army.
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbobbleb
A scarab filled list sounds awsome but there is one combo which is nasty, tau pathfinders take away your cover save and then submuition you. Still, that is the only thing I would worry about.
A solution would be to take a unit of flayed ones and deep strike them near the most expensive squad, this should work for guard and tau as they will try to kill them completely and your scarabs will take less fire. Either that or they will ignore them and the flayed ones hack their way through part of the eemy army.
Scarabs are designed to take fire. If you were to waste that many pathfinder and hammerhead shots on my scarabs, I would most likely walk to your side of the table and give you a big hug.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 05:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy Panda
im not a fan of characters what so ever, and the that many scarabs isnt what i am aiming for, i like warriors. i'm unsure if i want a destroyer lorf without any destroyers, although they are more towards shooting where as the lord is more CC.
The ability to take a heavy firepower without being instagibbed is nice. I like an invuln on him as well, and I find that combination to be quite handy. Power fists, lascannons, rockets, etc are all very nasty things for necrons to take, so mitigating as many of them as possible is always a plus. Also, it helps loads against models with power weapons, since your opponent invariably will want your lord dead, and a great deal of sgts run power weapons nowadays.

Even if you don't run him in CC, the increased toughness is handy, and the ability to hop halfway across the board definitely increases his support value. It's not a bad buy in...pretty much any list.

Sure, you could pathfinder/submunition a scarab unit to death, but when all is said and done, you've wasted most of your heavy firepower for the round flattening a single 120pt unit. Turn two, the other two scarab units hit the tau lines, and frankly, the tau can never fight their way out. Even farsight, kroot, etc are not going to be able to deal with a 30 wound fearless block. They now have giant gobs of combat blocking their LOS for their precious guns for the units not tied up(And multiple charges are great. A full unit of scarab covers a lot of ground).

This means that they can do nothing to stop the 9-10 monstrous creatures from hitting their lines with full retinues of further scarabs. Playing against tau, I literally end the game with as many models on the table as I started with.

A destroyer lord w warscythe is also the worst nightmare of a tau army. They can't instakill it, and even broadsides packing shield drones will rapidly fall to it.

Nah, tau aren't the problem. The only two lists that have ever given me trouble are a 'nid warrior/ripper list(strangely similar to mine. Very bloody), and an assault terminator/vindicator list. Both of those are very specific, and not something you'll see often.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 18:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey Panda,

I think you should go for a 'balanced' force, so that is has most of the units available to the Necrons, but not so that you have to heavily rely on a unit, I say this because you wouldn't want to rely heavily on a certain unit, say Immortals for example, because if they're wiped out, you're done for.

And so that they work 'together' so, one unit keeps an enemy squad pinned for example, whilst another flanks the enemy and wipes them out.

If I may enquire, how many points are you thinking of doing? 1k, 1.5k or 2k?

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote