Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necron Anti-Vehicle
Old 22 Mar 2009, 23:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Necron Anti-Vehicle

I play against a Tau player a lot and he has hammerheads that just tear up my monolith. The particle whip seems like a good choice at first but upon further inspection of its range anyone can tell it's probably not the best tank hunting weapon. Aside from that there's always the strategy of shoot as many gauss shots as possible or get as many cc disruption field hits in. But even then you're only doin anything on 6's and 6's are just glancing. The last option I see is the heavy destroyers, high str good range. Can you really rely on these jetbikes to take down enemy tanks? I mean at such low squad sizes it seems that they are very fragile and quite risky given the points. I was just wondering what you guys use for anti-vehicle? (I neglected c'tan because I don't have any and don't plan to use them anytime soon)
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Necron Anti-Vehicle

Heavy Destroyers are pretty fragile, but if you have a full squad paired up with a destroyer lord w/warscythe and res orb turbobusting when they aren't shooting is a pretty solid way to deal with tanks. Since they are so fast, you can get a side AV shot that will probably penetrate and take care of them. It's just expensive.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 06:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wouldn't suggest pairing heavy destroyers with a close combat lord, they just aren't made for the same purpose. If you're always shooting from a long range your lord isn't making his points back and if you're locked in assault your heavy destroyers aren't making their points back.

The reduction of power with our gauss weapons forces people to vary their list in order to actually take some anti-armour units and not just rely on warriors. Really heavy destroyers are your best bet for long ranged anti-armour, as you have mentioned the monolith obviously is limited by range and as such is not a reliable tank hunter. Even if you deepstrike the monolith and use the particle whip their is a fairly good chance that the blast will scatter off target, and with ordnance if the hole of the blast marker isn't over the vehicle the strength of the shot is halved.

If you deep strike your monolith and teleport a unit of warriors you have the potential to rapid fire the hammerhead and although you won't penetrate you can still cause some serious damage. A stunned hammerhead is a useless hammerhead, although it may take more than one shooting phase glancing hits can still destroy vehicles as the results will stack if one isn't applicable. For example if you cause a weapon destroyed result and there are no more weapons on the vehicle that vehicle is then immobalized.

The way I see it you have two choices for anti-armour with necrons. You can spend the points on a unit of heavy destroyers and rely on a small number of high powered shots, or you can use the necrons abilities to get warriors up close and personal (monolith portal; veil of darkness) and use volume of fire to cause as many damage results as possible. If I had to choose one I would prefer the latter, as I play now I use a combination of these two methods to deal with enemy armour.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 07:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I don't know what the warscythe does against vehicles but I do know the orb only "has to be close" and if your opponent is tau having him and the destroyers together is just a "delivery system" Worst case scenario you lose a heavy destroyer instead of the lord and once their close the lord can seperate enough to be his own unit so he can assault some fire warriors. But try to remain close to the destroyers if possible.

Tau themselves are brutally weak in close combat, have you tried throwing flailed ones or wraiths at them?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 07:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You are talking about Firewarriors right? because suits are relatively tough, and kroot can bog you down for a few turns. The thing is, you don't want you hevay destroyers getting too close, if they do they will be swamped by enemy fire. Keep the lord abck with them and you aren't getting the benfit of the res orb to the troops moving forward and CC is wasted for the lord. Have the destroyers moving close as a bodyguard and they will be overwhelmed with small arms fire.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 07:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni
I don't know what the warscythe does against vehicles but I do know the orb only "has to be close" and if your opponent is tau having him and the destroyers together is just a "delivery system" Worst case scenario you lose a heavy destroyer instead of the lord and once their close the lord can seperate enough to be his own unit so he can assault some fire warriors. But try to remain close to the destroyers if possible.

Tau themselves are brutally weak in close combat, have you tried throwing flailed ones or wraiths at them?
The topic of this thread is necron anti-armour, not necron close combat abilities and tactics. If you want to start a topic about the merits of necron assaults I suggest you start a new thread rather than diverting the topic of another.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 08:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel_

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijiriOni

The topic of this thread is necron anti-armour, not necron close combat abilities and tactics. If you want to start a topic about the merits of necron assaults I suggest you start a new thread rather than diverting the topic of another.
That was rude, I was responding to the fact that people we're saying res orb accompanying them might be wasted...I don't play necrons so I really wouldn't know...just trying to think of a positive way to use the lord and destroyers together.

All I know about Necrons is there overall ranged weapon choices are very poor as nothing exceeds 36 and the things that are 36 are spendy.

Are the gods good for anti-vehicles? I know their monsterous creatures so they get the 2d6 pen and all assault hits are against back-armor.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Don't take anything personally, I didn't mean for you to take any offense but if you want to discuss the applications of the resurrection orb and assaults a fresh thread would be the way to do it as that doesn't have anything to do with necron anti-armour.

While necron range is quite limited as you have said, necron's also have the capability to clear the board in a single turn and use the monolith's portal to bring units to the front lines. This counters our lack of board clearing ranged weaponry.

C'tan are alright for taking down vehicles, the nightbringer more than the deciever as the nightbringer has the lightning arc which is essentially a 24" lascannon. The problem with using the C'tan to go vehicle hunting is speed, particularly against skimmers the C'tan just won't be able to catch a moving skimmer. Their penetration rolls almost guarantee a few penetrating hits but as I've mentioned its catching the vehicle in the first place thats the problem.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i've always found that 3 waiths paired with a destroyer lord w/ warscythe is the most efficient anti-tank combination. Lord veils up. wraiths tye stuff up in assault while lord assaults tank until its dead, by then your wraiths should be out and you sped 12" away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2009, 22:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

A few heavy destroyers are a good choice, they're generally not the highest priority target since most Necrons players DS monoliths in the middle of the army or VoD a unit of immortals right behind them.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote