Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you kill Death?
Old 08 Mar 2009, 07:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How do you kill Death?

I was wondering about how a person could 'destroy' a Nightbringer. It seems that there are three or so tactics on this issue:
I Basilisks. Lots and lots of Basilisks.
II Take all meat shields and organic based cover (in other words, all things imperial guard ;D) and while death is toying with your poor grunts, destroy the rest of the Necron army around him. Once he's finished his soul eating 'snack' you have already destroyed his minions and he's banished.
Now I know this probably tweaks the noses of some hardcore necron fans, but I always wondered what sort of situation you could feasibly win/whoop a little C'tan but with. Any other feasible tactics are welcome! Thanks all!
Medusa
Old 08 Mar 2009, 09:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: How do you kill Death?

- weapons that ignore invul saves.
- Sniper weaponry
- Ignore it and phase the necrons out.

I ALWAYS use the third point when facing a night bringer.
Old 08 Mar 2009, 09:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

unit of 11 genestealers+broodlord... the rending can do a lot of dmg for he only saves the half of the wounds in theory...

and wraithcannons... :P and of course heavy weapons like TL-railguns are deadly...
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 10:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

- Loads of Rending
- Loads of high strength ranged weaponry (that doesn't scatter)
- Weapons that ignore invulnerable saves
- Phase out

There are many ways to deal with a C'tan, for their point cost they are quite underpowered. The main reason is because they are so incredibly slow. The nightbringer is a dedicated cc unit that can only move 6" a turn plus a D6" run move. A C'tan is incredibly easy to avoid, outmaneuver, and phase out. There is really no debate here, if a C'tan gets into close combat then you've gotten too close and it's your own fault. Avoid the Nightbringer and Deciever like the plague and unless range is one your side go for the phase out.
Old 08 Mar 2009, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Theoretically you just need to inflict 10 wounds to bring down a nightbringer, with my tau -that's not that hard. With other armies it could be a challenge, you can't tarpit him with conscripts or other cheap units (etheric tempest) and with a high toughness wounding him ten times could also be a challenge.

Good wepaons to use:
-Rending
-Anything with a 5+ strength en mass
-Weapons the ingnor invulnerable save (psycannons)
-Phase out

Generals winter and space: Anyone who has studied WWII will know how the russians won on the western front, by running away across Russia until winter took hold and caught the germans unprepared. In other words, ingnore the C'tanand phase out the enemy army, that's 360 less points of warriors.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 14:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreChild
- weapons that ignore invul saves.
- Sniper weaponry
- Ignore it and phase the necrons out.

I ALWAYS use the third point when facing a night bringer.
Correct.
With that amount of point sink, it's an easier 'phase out' for necrons.
Concentrate fire on necron units that have limited WBB choices (out of res orb range,far from other units, etc). Engage the phalanx into an all out HTH (if you're the CC type list).
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 21:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

There really isn't any debate here, if you're stuck in combat with the Nightbringer the game has gone seriously wrong for you. With the new run rules the C'tan have become even more dangerous, but considering the fact they still have to cross the board to get to you they are easy enough to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa V
I Basilisks. Lots and lots of Basilisks.
I wouldn't recommend using high strength blast weapons such as battle cannons or demolisher cannons as those are wasted on a single model, will scatter, and will be best placed on warriors to ignore their armour save and WBB.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 12:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I took the big bad nightbringer down quite easily awhile ago, However it was an apoc game and I did use a terminus ultra pattern land raider, I would normally just avoid the big bad necron but in an apoc game i just had to have a crack at him.

The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 23:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

"Easily" being the operative word when using a Terminus Ultra Pattern Land Raider.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 23:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

psycannons and autocannons I find are good. Really, anything with a high rate of fire is great.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote