Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pariahs or something else?
Old 01 Mar 2009, 10:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Pariahs or something else?

Hi. I'm about to recieve in a trade a fairly large army (Case, Codex, 1 Lord, 1 Monolith, 3 Destroyers, 7 Wraiths, about 7 Immortals and about 7 Immortals, no basic warriors) and seeing as I hate the pairah models, was wondering whether to swap them in soem way for something else?

I can buy warrior boxes with money, but was wondering whether to actually swap the pariah models for more immortals or another monolith or something. (6 pariahs are worth 30)

Any ideas about what the army may be lacking and what to trade pariahs for? (not Warriors, because I'm going to just buy them anyway)

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 13:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Pariahs or something else?

My necron friend has a lot of love for scarab swarms, flayed ones and the tomb spider things. The scarabs and flayed ones back the wraiths up and the tomb spiders help if your lord goes down. A melee destroyer lord running with the wraiths might make him fire on them and focus less on your warriors.

A pariah model is kinda useful if you run flayed ones or you can use them to lower moral to get people to break from shooting. Getting them to stay alive and be within 12 inches of a enemy unit is the real trick.
Old 01 Mar 2009, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey Frisbee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeForLunch
Hi. I'm about to recieve in a trade a fairly large army (Case, Codex, 1 Lord, 1 Monolith, 3 Destroyers, 7 Wraiths, about 7 Immortals and about 7 Immortals, no basic warriors)
So that's 14 Immortals in total? Or is that a typo? (mistake). :P

Quote:
..and seeing as I hate the pariah models, was wondering whether to swap them in some way for something else?
Well, you could swap them for Flayed Ones, they're also good in CC.

Quote:
Any ideas about what the army may be lacking and what to trade pariahs for? (not Warriors, because I'm going to just buy them anyway)
You could get some more Destroyers, Tomb Spyders, and maybe another Lord, but upgrade the Lord with a Destroyer Body, Orb and Warscythe and keep him with the Destroyers, so that the squad will live just a little longer.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 18:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would say Tomb spyders as they are fairly essential for support in a nercon army, their ability to spawn scarab swarms means that they're fairly resiliant, and their repair ability makes warriors a bit more tough to kill.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tomb Spyders are fantastic. Not only do they increase the survivability of our units, they fill a void necrons have; a serious CC model to accompany the squad. In most cases if a unit of warriors gets charged by a daemon prince or a hive tyrant its goodnight necrons, keeping a tomb spyder nearby allows some close combat punch and directs attacks away from other weaker necrons. Tomb spyders are a must in my opinion.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like Immortals personally, they're some of your better Necron units.
Which leads me to the question about 7 wraiths. You can only field 3 per choice right?

You can trade off one, though I don't have the costs on hand. :P

One Pariah can be turned into a Destroyer bodied Lord for some great CC ability (imo). Add a res orb and that's one of my most hated opponents when it comes to HQ's (along with Abaddon and a few choicier ones).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes wraiths unit size is 1-3 so having 7 isn't the greatest number and will fill up 3 fast attack slots.

A destroyer lord, as enderwiggen mentioned, is a great investment which allows for a large amount of mobility. Pair him up with those wraiths and you've got a nice little assault unit going. The only problem I have with a destroyer lord is his mediocre weapon skill (as with all necrons), and his lack of an invulnerable save. But the use of a warscythe is priceless.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 16:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm going to have to disagree with flayed ones being good in cc. My main reasoning is that they are slow, they have no power weapons, and they are not going to get that many attacks. Sure they get back up, but if they fall to a sweeping advance (cue the low I again) they will no get up, regardless of an orb being nearby.

The way I see it, Necrons work best as a shooty army with elite cc backup. Be it wraiths, tomb spiders, or even pariahs should you find a use for them (they are useful against some armies).

I have tried quiet a few variations of CC focused armies and cc backed up armies, and I have found that the more focus I place on shooting the better my army tends to fair.

Keep in mind, as I say that, that I run a 9 wraith wing with destroyer lord/orb/warscythe/phase shifter combo.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 21:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Everything has its place in the necron army. I quite like flayed ones, sure they don't have power weapons or a high number of attacks but they play a serious role in the army. Being a CC unit that is able to deepstrike, or a much better option is to infiltrate and make use of the outflank rule. What the flayed ones lack in pure CC ability they make up for with shear resilience. Ever is the bane of enemy heavy support units hiding in the back lines only to be attacked by a unit of flayed ones from the rear. The flayed ones staying power will render almost any dedicated heavy support unit such as devastators, biovores, or imperial guard weapons utterly useless for a good portion of the game. This takes an incredible amount of pressure off of your more valuable units.

Every necron unit has its use, and be sure to try them all out and experiment before you discredit them. If you find they fit your play style, great, if not then at least you have justification for a negative opinion of that unit.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 17:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Every necron unit has its use, and be sure to try them all out and experiment before you discredit them. If you find they fit your play style, great, if not then at least you have justification for a negative opinion of that unit.
I did give my justifications for my negative opinion of them. Their resilience is fairly strong I will agree, until they come across a unit with a power weapon hidden in it or happen to get charged by a mc.

I just hate to pay so much for them when they have so many cons. The only time I see them being useful in CC is when they are put into CC with something that does not have anything that is Str8/power weapon, etc.

I just feel that we have better cc options, be it scarab swarms tomb spiders or wraiths.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote