Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the game and Necrons
Old 04 Feb 2009, 13:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to the game and Necrons

Hello!
Im brand new to the game and have decided to build a Necron army.
Saw some guys playing Warhammer40000 at one of the local stores and thought it was something i wanted to try out. Im still pretty ignorant to alot of stuff as i just got my rulebook and codex on sunday. Been reading and re-reading them.
Found this site by searching for tactics for the Necrons as well as people at the store telling me this is the must join site if i start playing.
Luckily, the owner of the shop i will be learning at has set up 4-5 guys to teach me how to play, walk me thru the rules and such this sat. Im pretty stoked.
Went to buy my first model yesterday when she pulled me aside and explained that she was happy i was excited to learn and play something new ( besides axis and allies) and showed me that she had one last Phalinx box set that she intends on selling me. So I guess Ill have a 1500 point set ( plus one Lord that i bought yesterday) pretty soon.
Read alot of the threads on here and found alot of excellent advice i will no doubt use. ( as i figure any advice i can get from everyone on here i will benifit from greatly).
So I guess thats my introduction ( sorry if i put this in the wrong forum),
Just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for the advice and stuff they posted. I hope you all wouldent mind me asking questions and advice from time to time as i learn how to play.
E
elcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 16:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to the game and Necrons

The Phalanx is a good deal, that's what I started my army with.

Play a lot of games. That's the best way to learn. I'm currently teaching my friend to play with his Tau army, and I go over there and we just play a few games back to back.

There is also a 5th editon FAQ you should read, google it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 23:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Welcome to the Tomb World.

The Phalanx is the optimum way to begin a necron army, and necrons are a great beginner army. They aren't any easier than any other army, but their units and rules are more simplistic making it easier to grasp the basics of the game rather quick.

Any questions you have regarding not only necrons but the entire 40k universe can be brought up in these forums and we'll do our best to answer them.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Welcome to the legions of the dead. The set that you are getting is an optimum way to start an army. Its how i started mine. At first i lost my first couple of games but then you get the hang of them and bam, your winning all the time. Necrons are amazing. O and also you will get a lot of complaints because of will be back. Stay with it they are truly amazing.

taubroadsidecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 13:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks again to everyone for being so welcoming!
I found the FAQ mentioned, red and downloaded it.
If everything goes as planned, I'll be observing and learning from the guys at the local shop the owner has set up for me tomorrow. Again, I'm pretty excited.
Although, I'm considering getting some Flayed ones instead of Pariahs though.
Thanks again everyone!
E
Old 06 Feb 2009, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

As you play and gain more experience you will see that Pariah's are one of the best, most fantastic units in the game....on paper. Really in regards to actual gameplay they don't fit in with the necrons and don't benefit from any of the necrons special rules. They don't get a WBB and can't be used in conjunction with any of the lords wargear. Their statline is impressive as well as their weapons, but one attack at initiative 3 hardly makes a close combat unit and a 0-1 limitation keeps their numbers very small. But there are a few Pariah Tactica's on TauOnline and all you have to do is search, there's some good info out there.

Flayed Ones are a nice unit, they can deep strike or infiltrate allowing them to actually see combat and enter the board in a location that allows them to cause serious harm. Flayed Ones also benefit from the necron special rules and hence are allowed WBB.

I would suggest flayed ones as I'm sure most necron players would, however I do suggest that you at least proxy a unit of Pariah's at least once. It's amazing how many people criticize Pariah's only to have not used them themselves and used right they can be an incredibly destructive force.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 18:37   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Belive me, I ment no disrespect when i said i was considering Flayed ones rather than Pariah.
As I havent even played my first game, i didnt mean my post to sound like i was trying to criticize the Pariah.
I certainly will at least try a unit of Pariahs and have some in my army just in case.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Proxy Pariahs and you too will see why nobody uses them.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean that you specifically were criticizing Pariah's, I've talked to a lot of people about Pariah's and less than half of those people who criticize have actually used them. I know you meant no disrespect and neither did I, there's just always been a lot of talk about Pariah's and they're a unit that you have to use to see why people do or don't field them.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 23:38   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'll try them for sure before making any decisions.
did you guys have to re-registar as well?