Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Necron saying hello
Old 25 Jan 2009, 02:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New Necron saying hello

Hey Guys just picked up a Necron Warrior phalanx and my codex should be here soon. Ive played since 3rd edition ( my first white dwarf was of the necrons previews....coincidence?...) and played most armies but never necrons so I thought Id give it a shot.

One thing Ive noticed on these boards is alot of pessismism? Am I going to hate playing as necrons? Are my friends going to hate playing against necrons?

Thanks!
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2009, 04:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New Necron saying hello

Necrons get a lot of hate because people don't like seeing their hard work amount to nothing when everything they just shot gets right back up and keeps walking after them.

Welcome to the boards and to the army.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2009, 05:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Necrons have and always will get a lot of hate. =p It's a normal thing. The hate they get is no where near the hate my Chaos Daemons get. Just enjoy them, as long as you are not taking 3 monoliths to a 1250 point game, you should do alright. =]
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2009, 16:48   #4 (permalink)
woolrych

my freinds got necrons I blasted his whole army down for it to stand up next turn. :'(
Old 27 Jan 2009, 03:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the replies! I think Ill enjoy the army. I mean they get a pyramid for a tank. A Freakin Pyramid! Ive always had an interest in them. So my next question...WBB. Doesnt seem that complicated, why all the questions? Also any thing I should know to wbb or phase out that might get over looked? Thanks!
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 15:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey there, I am in the same situation,
I have played Marines and Tau, and now want to try Necrons.

my motivation for wanting Necrons is a little different, I have never seen the one person I know who has Necrons ever lose a game with them (and he plays with them heavily). They seem as indestructible as their coxed suggests they are.

I am starting out with 1 Lord, 2 Necron Warriors Box sets, 1 destroyer and a Monolith Phalanx, and I will buy a Necron Warrior phalanx as soon as possible. For anyone who cares to answer, since they are so awesome, if I were to buy two Necron Warrior phalanx sets, aside from the extra monolyth, would I use all of the models?

I agree with you, anything I should know to WBB or Phase Out that might get over looked??? Especially Phase Out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 18:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Speaking as a non-Necron player, I think the best thing you can do to cut down on the army hate is to learn your rules backward and forward and then make sure your opponents understand your rules too, especially WBB. Armies like Necrons and Eldar that tend to have a lot of idiosyncratic rules often get the most hate because people don't know what to expect and feel cheated when they encounter a rule they don't understand. So read your rulebook, read your FAQ, and if you've got any questions the board here is a great place to clarify things. Good luck!
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 08:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The phalanx is THE best way to start, its a really good deal.

Maybe take a look into adding some immortals, your firepower will be unstoppable
Murekhalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 09:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deris87
Speaking as a non-Necron player, I think the best thing you can do to cut down on the army hate is to learn your rules backward and forward and then make sure your opponents understand your rules too, especially WBB. Armies like Necrons and Eldar that tend to have a lot of idiosyncratic rules often get the most hate because people don't know what to expect and feel cheated when they encounter a rule they don't understand. So read your rulebook, read your FAQ, and if you've got any questions the board here is a great place to clarify things. Good luck!
I can only second that. Especially with armies like Necrons and Eldar (and Tau, to a lesser extent) it is important to be an execptionally good sport to ensure everyone has fun. Make sure you explain all the relevant rules to your opponent, and make sure you have the Codex handy to show him if he wants clarification on something. Better print out the FAQ, too.

There's a lot of potential frustration when dealing with necrons - for example, it's really disappointing if from those 9 Immortals you just downed 6 rise again, just because you didn't manage to wipe out the unit completely. Make sure your opponent understands how WBB works, and maybe even drop a hint like "it would be a good idea to wipe out a whole unit before moving to the next"

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 11:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Where would the Necron FAQ be found?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote