Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th edition stuff to benefit Necrons
Old 20 Jan 2009, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Dawnthief

Default 5th edition stuff to benefit Necrons

Ok, please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed that under 5th edition rules, a turbo boosting scarab swarm has a 2+ Cover save? If so, yes my fellow harvesters, through a legal technicality our once vulnerable little swarms have just become epic again.

This thread is for stuff like that. If you've found other epic, or margianlly cool stuff that helps us in 5th edition, or just want to ask questions, post it here.

-Dawnthief-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a big stick," - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 20 Jan 2009, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 5th edition stuff to benefit Necrons

Yes, they do get a 2+ cover save if they turboboost over 18 inches. =]
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2009, 00:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Keep in mind you have to move 18 inches! I've played people who declared they were turbo boosting and thought it was enough to get the save but didn't move their models the full 18 inches.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2009, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Dawnthief

Thats ok. It makes them even better for screening now, and they can race forward and take out vehicles while actually able to survive the interum volley.

Anything else you can find?
Old 20 Jan 2009, 01:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Scarabs can't screen other models, sorry. =]
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2009, 05:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

They can't actually screen...but effective immortality is still quite handy. Makes it pretty much impossible to stop them before they get into combat. Against armies like guard or tau, my three full squads can lock up half the list before the battle really gets underway, and any shots fired to prevent that are mostly futile.

Even against more gunline oriented marine lists, it's quite effective. For added fun, run a destroyer lord with one of those units. Sure, he only gets the 3+ turboboost save, but he adds a nice melee punch, and with that many models, it's unlikely he'll need to save anyhow.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2009, 14:53   #7 (permalink)
Dawnthief

Eh, guys, re-check your rules. According to 5th edition, they just can't cover vehicles or monstorous creatures. Theres nothing in there about them not being able to give the interveining squad save ;D.

-Dawnthief-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 23 Jan 2009, 08:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnthief
Eh, guys, re-check your rules. According to 5th edition, they just can't cover vehicles or monstorous creatures. Theres nothing in there about them not being able to give the interveining squad save ;D.

-Dawnthief-

Actually there is. You have to read page 16 and page 21 of your rule book to define your line of sight and just what gives you a cover save.

Swarms can not normally give an effective screen for units behind them. I have had to test this out with my laser pointer and come to that answer.

However because of the wordings of the rule, I can see on the rarest of occasions that it just might happen and even block line of sight.

It really comes down to the elevation of the firing unit, the elevation of the swarm, and the the elevation of target that is behind the swarming unit.

So Tyndmyr I agree with your comment