Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help with Orks
Old 04 Jan 2009, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Zenith_XS
Default Need help with Orks

My Necron army has a great deal of trouble with outflank and deepstrike from Orks. In my last 1500pt game I got smashed up good and proper by stupid orks, and my friend being the arrogant O'res'dy he is has been bragging about being undefeated for months. While this is true, most of his wins have been in team games but its still annoying and I need you kind folks to help me zap him into his constituent atoms.

My friend's list looks something like this:
HQ
-Warphead
-Old Zogwart
TROOPS
-30 Shoota Boyz, 3 Rokkits
-30 Shoota Boyz, 3 Rokkits
FAST ATTACK
-3 Deffcoptas, tl Big Shootas
-3 Deffcoptas, tl Rokkits
-3 Deffcoptas, tl Rokkits, Buzzsaw
HEAVY SUPPORT
-Battlewagon, lots of big shootas, Kannon
-Looted Wagon, boomgun (or killcannon, the big ordinance one!)
-15 Lootas

My list was:
HQ
-Nightbringer
-Lord, Res Orb Warscythe
TROOPS
-10 Warriors
-10 Warriors
-10 Warriors
FAST ATTACK
-3 Destroyers
HEAVY SUPPORT
-Monolith
-Heavy Destroyer

I know its a pretty shonky list but I usually play 1000pt games and hate subbing, so I only used models I actually have. Usually I wouldn't have either the Nightbringer or Monolith, opting for more warriors and scarabs.

Anyway here's the lowdown of our last game. Terrain was setup and we rolled for deployment, he won and the terrain favoured him slightly. He set up with all his forces crammed behind some ruins, mostly out of line of sight, with his tanks up front and boyz behind. I deployed 2 squads of warriors and the lord near a village, out of sight of his blast weapons, monolith and 10 warriors in reserve and the destroyers and nightbringer on the opposite side of the ruins to him.

I got first turn and started by running the warriors into the village for cover, with all his big guns I'd probably need it. The destroyers moved into a better covered position near the ruins and the Nightbringer advanced. Shooting was uneventful, the Heavy Destroyer firing on the side armour of the Battlewagon through a large gap in the terrain, but predictably rolled a 1.

His turn was much more devastating. His tanks moved around the ruin, while his troops moved into it. An ungodly amount of gunfire killed off a total of 8 Necron in the village (thank god that ordinance scattered!) and his Boyz drew line of sight at the Destroyers, killing them all in a single round of shooting. Even worse, Nightbringer was within 18" of Zogwart and was turned into a squig!

The next few turns were a struggle, exchanging shots and taking casualties. My monolith deepstriked on the 3rd turn, warriors emerging on the 4th. Its gauss flux arc only killed about 10 Orks before the bloody thing was immobilised and the Orks ran out of range (not before annihilating the warriors that emerged from it!). Deffcoptas came in from behind the fight, on the right side of the table and assaulted the village. The Lord failed miserably to wound any and the warriors didn't fare much better, killing 2 in total. The coptas tore me to shreds and I Phased out at the beginning of the 5th turn.

Unusually he didn't teleport his Orks that game. Bad luck I guess, usually they're deep striking all over the joint and causing mayhem.

Now you know my story, what advice would you give? I'm thinking of dropping Nightbringer and the Heavy Destroyer, adding another 10 Warriors and a bigish squad of scarabs. I'm working on some Immortals but don't have a squad yet. My main problem seems to be lack of mobility and lack of anti-armour. Lack of assault is obvious, but that's what the scarabs are for! Tie 'em up and shoot the rest.

~Sybaris, High Archon of the Bleeding Dragon Kabal

[br]Click here to feed me a fruit!
Zenith_XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 00:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Need help with Orks

Scarabs, scarabs, scarabs! The problem with him going all shooty is that you have a unit that can move 24" in one turn with a 2++ save that will also grant your units behind them a 4++ save. Turn 2 you can have all those scarabs assault his boyz, completely negating their ability to shoot. This will allow you to focus on wasting those copters, which should be pretty easy with your near indestructible monolith.

I would also recommend buying another monolith and some tomb spiders. I would scrap the Nightbringer as I'm not really a fan of special characters.

As for dealing with his vehicles, give your lord res orb and VoD and drop your immortals behind him and you'll be pretty much guaranteed to waste his ordinance. Also I would drop the warscythe from your lord as you aren't really going to get into any assaults here.

As for what to add to your list, I would buy another monolith and maybe some tomb spiders. Keep your destroyers and use their incredible mobility to your advantage. With those scarabs shielding your army from most of his you'll be able to move into position so by the time those scarabs are gone you should be able to drop some particle whips and what not to soften up any boyz that are left before your MC spiders (who have hopefully had some opportunities to make scarabs so they can distribute wounds easier) move in to finish them off.

The biggest problem with his list if lack of troop mobility. Annihilate is only 1/3 of the missions you roll. The next annihilate you roll try to drop his ordinance first as that is really the only reliable thing he has to kill a monolith with. Then focus on his copters, while moving your monolith to kill his boyz.

In your next objective based mission, keep those destroyers alive! You can easily use them to contest any objectives on the last turn. While you have enough mobility from a VoD or monolith portal to move your warriors into position on objectives.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

My list was:
HQ
-Nightbringer
-Lord, Res Orb Warscythe
Drop the Nightbringer. He is costing you 360 points and will do nearly nothing until the orks crash into your lines, and by then you have lost.

TROOPS
-10 Warriors
-10 Warriors
-10 Warriors

FAST ATTACK
-3 Destroyers
More of these guys. I'm not saying max them out, but would'nt you rather have 21 str 6 shots instead of the nightbringer? Since what he costs would buy you 7 of these guys.

HEAVY SUPPORT
-Monolith
-Heavy Destroyer
Since you know you are playing orks, drop the heavy destroyer. The last thing you need is a low ap gun, and that is basically all the heavy destroyer has to offer. Consider getting another monolith since they drop pie places, and orks hate pie plates.

I would suggest taking immortals and VoD to deal with the ordnance, destroyers to decimate his lines, warriors for objectives, and a monolith to drop pie plates and provide mobility to your warriors, as well as a second WBB roll.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

If anything listen to Ryan, he's the all knowing necron resident =P

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 21:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Trust me i'm far from all knowing. Plus what one person can work may or may not work for another.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2009, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

As primarily an Ork player who also plays Necrons, Ryan is dead on. The Destroyers will out range everything he has but the Looted Wagon and Lootas. You'll be wounding on 2's and denying armor saves. Be wary of his Lootas though, they can put a hurting on you if completely ignored. Both the Lootas and Deffkoptas don't need to be utterly destroyed, I'd instead work on forcing morale checks. Neither of those units have a Nob for leadership, so going on LD7 and no way to re-roll fails. Lootas falling back can't fire, they have heavy weapons, and Deffkoptas should be off the table quickly since they count as jetbikes.

The 30 strong Boyz mobs are rough since they are fearless until they are down to 10 models, and even then they substitute mob size for leadership. As Ryan said, pie plates are going to be key here and getting Scarabs in your list to tie them up. Just be sure with the Scarabs that you are doing the charging, deny them furious charge.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 22:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Zenith_XS

I had another battle last night, 2v2; Necron (me) and Daemons vs Space Marines and Orks. I fared somewhat better this time round but me and Daemons was a bad matchup, first turn left me as the sole focus of two armies.

First off heres the list:
HQ
-Lord: Res Orb, Veil of Darkness
TROOPS
-20 Warriors
-20 Warriors
FAST ATTACK
-4 Destroyers
-Lots of Scarabs (honestly can't remember how many. 12 maybe?)
HEAVY SUPPORT
-Monolith

Ork army was the same as before

SM looked a bit like this.
HQ
-Vulkan, Salamanders dude
-Inquisitor Lord: Psycannon, Retinue
-Retinue: 3 Servitors, Heavy Bolters, 2 Mystics
ELITES
-Dreadnaught: H. Flamer, Assault Cannon
TROOPS
-10 Marines: Rocket, Flamer and Sarge
-10 Marines: Rocket, Flamer and Sarge
-10 Marines: Lascannon, Flamer and Sarge
FAST ATTACK
-5 Grey Knights: Incinerator, Justicar
HEAVY SUPPORT
-Thunderfire Cannon
-Predator: Lascannon Sponsons, Autocannon
-Vindicator: Pintle Storm Bolter

Daemons was:
HQ
-Bloodthirster
-Bloodthirster
TROOPS
-10 Bloodletters: Instrument, Banner
-10 Bloodletters: Instrument, Banner
HEAVY
-Daemon Prince: Iron Hide, Wings
-Soulgrinder: Tongue
-Soulgrinder: Phlegm

Monolith and a unit of warriors was held in reserve and the rest on the table. Scarabs screened the entire army for super duper 4+ cover saves while I advanced. They themselves turbo boosted but sadly nobody was dumb enough to shoot at them. Destroyers took out a few Orks but nothing special happened first turn. Orks and marines shot lots of nasty guns at me but I remained mostly unscathed, one destroyer and a few warriors dying. A bunch of Daemons came in and made a few run moves. Phlegm soulgrinder missed horribly.

Monolith and warriors came in second turn. Whacked the mono near the Orks and walked the warriors out of the portal (you can do that when they arrive on the first turn right?) and veiled my Lord and his squad to the Orks too. The Lord scattered and was out of effective shooting range, so the destoyers moved in to assist. The monoliths Gauss Flux Arc was in range of a whopping 6 units: 2 mobs of boyz, the thunderfire cannon and 3 combat squads of marines. Due to my brilliant dice rolling the Thunderfire cannon, one space marine and 3 orks died. The warriors that emerged from the monolith fared better, killing 16 orks but the bastards were still fearless. The destoyers attempted to get a few glancing hits on the battlewagon but failed horrible and only 2 necrons from the Lord's squad were in range, killing a single ork.

The Orks massacred me. Who the hell decided to give their guns 18" range? Anyway shoota boyz demolished the monolith squad killing over half. Deffcoptas came in and shot up the lord squad, killing 2 or 3. Lootas and tank took out my destoyers, shooting over 50 shots at them. To add insult to injury Old Zogwart turned my Lord into a Squig. Yeah that's a fair power, my 150pt special character can turn your 200pt HQ into nothing without trying. I hate Characters. Orks assaulted the monolith squad, but they lived and didn't fail their moral check at ld6! The Lord squad (now minus the Lord) got beat pretty solidly and fell back. Space Marines shot at some Daemons, killing a lot of bloodletters but thats about it.

I managed to ressurect about half the dead fellows near the monolith, and facing overwhelming numbers decided to portal that squad out of combat and try to bring a few more back during the movement phase. A largely successful move. The fleeing squad regrouped but there were less than 10 remaining. Took a few shots at coptas but failed to do anything. The scarabs moved into position to assault the coptas, blocking the Orks and tanks LoS to the regrouped squad. The monolith fluxed again, and I fluxed up the rolls again killing another space marine and no orks. The monolith squad shot up one of the Ork squads, getting it down to 7 boyz and a warphead but they held their ground. Scarabs charged the coptas and the combat was a draw with 3 wounds inflicted each side.

Marines didn't do much, Grey Knights deepstriked near my regrouped squad and incerneratored them no no avail.

More daemons came in but a mishap put a bloodthirster on the other side of the table but the second soulgringer had a choice shot at the Battlewagon. It missed. As did the Phlegm one. Bloodletters hit Vulkan's squad, killing most of the marines but getting wiped out by Vulkan.

In my turn I managed to kill a single grey knight, wiped out the 7 boyz (warphead remaining) and seeing as the flux had failed me thus far I particle whipped the other boy squad, killing 4. Scarabs killed another copter but got creamed in the process, only 4 bases remained.

During the next Ork turn I got blasted into nothingness by battlewagon and looted wagon. The monolith squad was completely wiped out, polished off by a warphead's zap.Grey Knights killed a few of the other squad but failed miserably when rolling through terrain for their charge. Either way I only had 6 warriors left.

Disheartened I phased out during my turn to watch TV while the Daemons player hurled abuse at his soulgrinders for missing with every weapon fired that whole game. All in all I done a bit better than usual but can't help but feel my tactic would have worked better on a less crowded board and without space marines shooting me up as well.

~Sybaris, High Archon of the Bleeding Dragon Kabal

[br]Click here to feed me a fruit!
Zenith_XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 13:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

your problem there was that SM and Orks are completely different armies; anti-horde tactics wont kill many marines,and low AP anti-marine weapons are useless versus orks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 15:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Acctually, it's even worse, seeing as how the SM are just inducted allies to the Grey Knights, not just an SM force. GK are the smallest armies out there, as looking at PAGK, no wonder. But I would include a HD and have him screened by the regular Destroyers. It worked well for me, and it should work just fine here. As long as you shoot up Zogwart first, seeing as he wasted 200+ of your points for just about nothing. One round of shooting should take him out, I managed to kill a warphead in 2 rounds of shooting with gaunts.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 00:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith_XS
My Necron army has a great deal of trouble with outflank and deepstrike from Orks. In my last 1500pt game I got smashed up good and proper by stupid orks, and my friend being the arrogant O'res'dy he is has been bragging about being undefeated for months. While this is true, most of his wins have been in team games but its still annoying and I need you kind folks to help me zap him into his constituent atoms.
If you're asking for specific list to match the ork horde meta then :

ditch the Ctan's. I played fun games with my necrons against highly competitive list (1.5k to 2k points) with no loss (5-0-1 draw to a Tau), and not once did I use any Ctan. too costly.

My suggested list would be :

Lord with RO & VoD
9 Immortals
15 warriors
15 warriors
15 warriors
1 Monolith
1,497 pts.

Tactic should be defensive. Don' t DS your lith.
Play defensive and near the center of the table if possible.
The warriors will most likely to survive a mob attack, they get a 'free' WBB after they phase out and re-emerge from the portal (essentially you get 2 WBB rolls).
Use your Immortals as added firepower where needed and try to avoid them in CC. Join your Lord with this unit.
Don't mind the Ork shooting phase even if he has pie's it's 'erratic'.
The key here is shooting. Receive charges on his turn and on your turn phase out and shoot again.
Deal with the ork vehicles as last targets to pick.
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote