Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Void Dragon and The Outsider
Old 10 Nov 2008, 21:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The Void Dragon and The Outsider

It is one of the top questions on any Necron-Players Mind. Who, what, where, when, why, and how, about the C'tan.

These elusive Necron Gods waged a large war back in the times of the only, and only four were left remaining, The Nightbringer, The Deceiver, The Outsider, and the Void Dragon. Only the Nightbringer and The Deceiver are currently active. The big question is: Where are the remaining C'tan, and will we ever see them in a tabletop battle?

I've been poking around in Necron Fluff, and learned the following: The Void Dragon is currently entombed deep within Mars, and is being worshipped by the Space Marines as a 'Machine God.' (Biggest pointer to this is the 'Visions of the sleeping god' section in the necron codex) And the Outsider is entombed in a sphere of some sorts in deep space. (The giveaway for this is the map at the back of the Necron codex, showing the deep scan image capture, and the 'Hive fleet Leviathan' obviously avoiding the strange object)

I, for one, am very interested in the C'tan, although the Deceiver is a waste of space, the Nightbringer kicks serious space marine, if there is even the remote chance of more C'tan being released for tabletop play, I would love to know.

If anyone has any comments, theories, or just has something to say, please post.

Thankyou.
Teh ShadowMeister
ShadowMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Void Dragon and The Outsider

I remember after looking through some of the fluff on the Outsider, there was a VERY interesting connection between him and the Hive Mind. Desire to consume all, outside bounds of space, blah blah blah... I don't have time now to find concrete proof on it but I always thought that was a cool connection, that the Outsider could technically be the master of the Tyranids. I doubt we'll ever know, I guess.

And welcome to the forums!
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:08   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That's a seriously awesome first post man!
Anyways, that's quite interesting. And yeah, I hope they make more C'Tan (models) as well. The Necron fluff is hardly ever expanded, and it'd be a nice change over another unit of Space Marines being released.
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Darkness2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Welcome to the forums, Meister!

That's certainly a good discussion topic - & one that probably won't be brought up again, considering what rumours seem to be saying about what's happening to the C'tan in the new Codex...

The Void Dragon (if the suggestions [[size=6pt]for Games Workshop would never plant something as dramatic & interesting as that as truth] are true[/size]) is indeed slumbering under Mars, & is falsely worshipped as the Omnissah, although he is indeed the master of machine (page 63 the Farseer talks of the "infernal machineries of the Dragon"). I also believe there was a reference somewhere to Lightning Fields on Necrons dedicated to him, can't seem to find it though. :-\

As for the Outsider...we can only imagine the horror of it if Hive Fleet Leviathan was detouring...
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have to find the issue...But I remember an unnamed C'tan was found on a planet.

(Not the Nightbringer, I read that story)

I remember the IG that were there were called the 'Firebrands' and they made a last stand as the orbiting ship launched some planet killer missiles.

I always wanted to know more about that one...
I'll look for the issue later, I'm running late for a Necromunda game. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm guessing the Deciever, from Deus Ex Mechanicus? Never read it, but it has the Deciever in it, & as it's the only other awake & active C'tan, I assume it was him...
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

I'm currently reading 'Rise of the Tau' on the BL forum http://forum.blpublishing.comforum_posts.asp?TID=216, pretty good i might add. This is Fan Fiction so it's not to be considered canon in anyway, but he has an interesting one that the Outsider is an Eldar God (can't Remember which) that learnt how to consume the C'Tan... In doing so he/she/it turned into one his/her/itself and went mad from the consumption of power and locked his/her/itself away.

I believe the Outsider would have the most interesting one out of the 2 yet explored, and is the most likely to be expanded upon. As the Void Dragon would Ruin the Imperium, It living on Mars n all. So unless they wanted to move the Imperium Into the 42nd Millenium fully (supposed End of Times...) we wont be hearing from the Void Dragon anytime soon, 3-5 Editions I'd guess.

I just like to add something... there's 4 that we know about. There maybe 5, 10, 20, 462...
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2008, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
I just like to add something... there's 4 that we know about. There maybe 5, 10, 20, 462...
T'would be good, but there is an Eldar Farseer's prophecy & an Eldar Farseer's artifact thingy which both only mention the 4 C'tan we know about. And Eldar know everything :P .

Seriously though I doubt there'd be THAT many, unless someone writes a story where the Deciever tries to bring all the dead C'tan in from some other dimention or summat...actually, that'd be pretty cool...
Old 10 Nov 2008, 23:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Wow! Lots of juicy fluff that i've never heard is popping up all over the place. I've never heard that the outsider might be the Hive Mind, where did you hear that? Keep the feedback Coming!

The ShadowMeister
ShadowMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2008, 23:36   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
T'would be good, but there is an Eldar Farseer's prophecy & an Eldar Farseer's artifact thingy which both only mention the 4 C'tan we know about.
Well, we do know that the C'Tan fought between themselves shortly before the Necrons went into their stasis pods; who knows how many lived before the war? Even in the Codex a passage reads "... the Nightbringer had feasted upon the C'tan until only four remained." The only question now is: how hungry was the Nightbringer?
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Darkness2393 is offline   Reply With Quote