Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monolith Special Rules Help
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2008, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Monolith Special Rules Help

Ok i can't remember where but i remember reading that the monolith moves but counts as having been stationary.

So that if you use your power matrix after moving your monolith, and teleport a unit on the field that has not moved, to make them come out from the monolith's portal, they will be able to move as normal, shoot and assault.

If i'm not mistaken this is all part of the monolith's special rules as per codex and FAQ. But i had trouble proving this to my opponent because i didnt have the FAQ and i couldn't remember where in the codex i saw that the monolith may move but also counts as being stationary.

Do any of you guys know where to find the rules that support this?

Old 06 Nov 2008, 02:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Monolith Special Rules Help

A necron unit that re-emerges from a monolith's portal may move normally only if the monolith and the teleported unit remained stationary before any teleportation occured. The FAQ describes this situation and states that if a necron unit moves and then gets teleported it can deploy 2" away from the portal and no further moves from that unit may be taken.

This can be a pretty sneaky tactic: a unit of 3 wraiths teleports up to 18", deploys 2", moves 12" and then assaults 6". If you want clarification here if the link to the necron FAQ, http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...th_Edition.pdf

Old 06 Nov 2008, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel_
A necron unit that re-emerges from a monolith's portal may move normally only if the monolith and the teleported unit remained stationary before any teleportation occured. The FAQ describes this situation and states that if a necron unit moves and then gets teleported it can deploy 2" away from the portal and no further moves from that unit may be taken.

This can be a pretty sneaky tactic: a unit of 3 wraiths teleports up to 18", deploys 2", moves 12" and then assaults 6". If you want clarification here if the link to the necron FAQ, http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...th_Edition.pdf
The monolith can move the one that can't move is the unit that you want to teleport. See the monolith entry under power matrix #2.

units re-emerging count as coming off a stationary vehicle even if the monolith moved that turn
Old 06 Nov 2008, 05:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

As far as I know, the necron codex has been through two printings in order to clarify certain confusions. The wording in my codex under `power matrix 2` says: In the movement phase it may use its portal to bring units Held in reserve into play, or allow entire necron units to phase out and re-enter play by emerging from the monolith portal as if they were disembarking from an access point on a transport vehicle. The access point is the portal at the front of the model. Now I`m not sure if my codex is the first or second printing, regardless, the FAQ answers this question in full.

Q. Can a necron unit that teleports through a monolith`s portal move after emerging

A. Only if the monolith (and the teleporting unit) hasn't already moved that movement phase.

It`s bizarre that the same codex would have two different wordings because no where in mine does it say the unit counts as emerging from a stationary vehicle.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 07:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that is indeed VERY odd this is what my codex says word by word:

2. In the movement phase it may use its portal to allow entire Necron units (specifically Warriors, Immortals, Flayed Ones, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers or Wraiths) and any Necron Lord that has joined such a unit to phase out (even if in close combat) and re-enter play by emerging from the Monolith portal as if they were disembarking from an access point on a stationary transport vehicle (even if the Monolith moved). The access point is the portal at the front of the model.

Which version of the codex does everyone else have? It appears that there's different ones.

Also the 3E FAQ states that the unit teleported can move normallyl after being teleported only IF it did not move before being teleported. There's no restriction on the monolith moving.

And the 5E FAQ also states the same thing that the unit may not move ONLY when BOTH the monolith AND the unit moved before being teleported. But if the unit did not move then it can move normally after being teleported. So you have to read the whole paragraph not just the first sentence of the FAQ.

Old 06 Nov 2008, 07:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou

2. In the movement phase it may use its portal to allow entire Necron units (specifically Warriors, Immortals, Flayed Ones, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers or Wraiths) and any Necron Lord that has joined such a unit to phase out (even if in close combat) and re-enter play by emerging from the Monolith portal as if they were disembarking from an access point on a stationary transport vehicle (even if the Monolith moved). The access point is the portal at the front of the model.

Which version of the codex does everyone else have? It appears that there's different ones.

Also the 3E FAQ states that the unit teleported can move normallyl after being teleported only IF it did not move before being teleported. There's no restriction on the monolith moving.

And the 5E FAQ also states the same thing that the unit may not move ONLY when BOTH the monolith AND the unit moved before being teleported. But if the unit did not move then it can move normally after being teleported. So you have to read the whole paragraph not just the first sentence of the FAQ.
Akaiyou, You have the older codex. I know this because I bought mine within weeks of the Necron codex being first released, and mine reads the same as yours. Check the old posts. I discussed this with Ryan and others a year or so ago. I have forgotten what conclusion we came to, but it was 4Th ed anyway.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 08:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
So you have to read the whole paragraph not just the first sentence of the FAQ.
Do not insinuate that I have only read the first sentence, I find that pretty insulting. The 3rd Edition FAQ is obsolete so no reference can be made from it now. The entire question in the 5th Edition FAQ for the Necron Codex asks if a necron unit can move after emerging from the monoliths portal. The answer to that question is: A unit that teleports through the portal may only move after emerging if the monolith (and the teleporting unit) hasn't`t already moved that movement phase. If the unit has already moved before being teleported it may only be deployed within 2 inches of the portal; if it hasn't`t already moved, it may deploy out 2 inches and then move normally.

Regardless of whether or not our codex entries say the same thing, the FAQ takes precedence, and so a unit going through the portal can only move after emerging if neither it, nor the monolith, has moved yet. There`s nothing stopping the monolith from moving after a unit emerges, but if you plan on bringing a unit through the portal and then moving them, the monolith must remain stationary until that unit emerges.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 10:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownKnight
Quote:

Akaiyou, You have the older codex. I know this because I bought mine within weeks of the Necron codex being first released, and mine reads the same as yours. Check the old posts. I discussed this with Ryan and others a year or so ago. I have forgotten what conclusion we came to, but it was 4Th ed anyway.
Older Codex? there is only 1 Necron codex as far as I know. There was another one released? because all the ones I have seen look exactly the same and have the same rules except for that Monolith entry. So i'm really confused about what this newer Necron codex thing is about can someone fill me in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel_
Quote:
So you have to read the whole paragraph not just the first sentence of the FAQ.
Do not insinuate that I have only read the first sentence, I find that pretty insulting. The 3rd Edition FAQ is obsolete so no reference can be made from it now. The entire question in the 5th Edition FAQ for the Necron Codex asks if a necron unit can move after emerging from the monoliths portal. The answer to that question is: A unit that teleports through the portal may only move after emerging if the monolith (and the teleporting unit) hasn't`t already moved that movement phase. If the unit has already moved before being teleported it may only be deployed within 2 inches of the portal; if it hasn't`t already moved, it may deploy out 2 inches and then move normally.

Regardless of whether or not our codex entries say the same thing, the FAQ takes precedence, and so a unit going through the portal can only move after emerging if neither it, nor the monolith, has moved yet. There`s nothing stopping the monolith from moving after a unit emerges, but if you plan on bringing a unit through the portal and then moving them, the monolith must remain stationary until that unit emerges.
After re-reading that a bajillion times it would seem you are right. And even though 'obsolete' why on earth are there 2 versions of the same codex? I mean it has the same cover as the current version and everything. This is the first time I came across an issue like this with it.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 19:14   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Older Codex? there is only 1 Necron codex as far as I know. There was another one released? because all the ones I have seen look exactly the same and have the same rules except for that Monolith entry. So i'm really confused about what this newer Necron codex thing is about can someone fill me in?
It is a different printing rather than a different codex. Almost all of it is the same except for a few minor changes to the rules. GW does this occasionally, but they don't make a big deal about it when they do. I think it happened with the old Chaos Space Marines book twice. It will say "Second Printing" on the author page if it is the newer version. The confusion this causes is part of why they are so resistant to updating codexes this way any more, and also why they aren't FAQing things as much.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 19:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Both the Necron codex and the DE codex had a reprint where they changed some of their mess ups. I think the DE one had a stamp on the cover that said "second printing", but I'm not sure about the Necron one. IMO it was very, very stupid of them to do that, because, as you say, there is no easy way to tell that one is newer or older.
Closed Thread