Scarabs 3 17.65%
Wraith 3 17.65%
Tomb Spyder 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 Nov 2008, 21:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Building my list

I am making my list of 2000 before buying.

I am positve that I will be using warriors, immortals, destroyers, and a monolith.

As for my splash of cc, I dont know what to use. I know the scarabs are fast, but dont do much with their low str. The wraiths seem expensive for one wound. The pariahs seem to be overpriced and not that productive... one attack....plus no Necron. Tomb spyder also has no necron, but it can make more guys, and is a MC...but is slow. So with all that... i think like the flayed ones are looking to be my cc guys with good basic stats and infiltrating.

What do you all think?
freaky_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 03:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Building my list

IMO, Tomb Spyder, for only a few reasons.
-12" for WBB rolls. This allows a lot more freedom in your army.
-Multiple Wounds. There are 3 (not including C'Tan) Necron units that have more than one wound. One, your Lord, is a requirement. Why not get another unit that can take more punishment?
-Creation of Scarab Swarms. Hey, if you couldn't decide whether or not to get Scarab Swarms or Tomb Spyders, why not get both?

That's just me, though Wraiths are quite awesome as well.
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Darkness2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Great....so 5 votes....and they are all tied.

Explain why you think that. I didnt know Pariahs cold be the best splash due to not having the Necron, plus super expensive for one attack. I thought scarabs would receive a vote because they can FLY across the board. Wraiths as well, lots of attacks, high strength, but one wound. Tomb spyders just didnt appeal to me because they are slow, but they are MC with the 12" WBB...thats a maybe. But I thought the flayed ones would be the supreme. 4 Int, 2 attacks, deepstrike, move thru cover, infiltrate, the horrifying visage... that sounds like they can do something in CC.

Let me know what you all think, what your vote was and why.

And on a side note, Is this place not as popular as it used to be? Like two years ago there was a new reply like every minute. Here its like every day.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, now the Wraith and Tomb Spyder are tied. And as I said before, the Tomb Spyder is all shades of awesome. Plus, you still can have Scarabs if you have a Tomb Spyder; they aren't mutually exclusive due to how they can create Scarabs. Now, as for Flayed Ones, I have no experience with; I don't own one figure of a Flayed One. However, it just seems to me that Wraiths are the better option if you want to go CC. Wraiths are pretty awesome. They can
-Move like a jetbike, but NEVER have to make Difficult Terrain tests!
-An Int of 6
-3 attacks
-6 Str
-And 3+ Inv save
Plus, if you have a Monolith and have Wraiths in reserves you still can Deepstrike with them.
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Scarabs are suprisingly good. Who doesn't love a Turbo Boosting 2+ cover save with 3 wounds & attacks?

But my vote goes to Tomb Spyder, as they have all their own juicyness, plus they can spawn Scarabs as well!
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
But my vote goes to Tomb Spyder, as they have all their own juicyness, plus they can spawn Scarabs as well!
I think you've just about nailed it.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would go with a tomb spyder or two and here's why. The only real mobility this list has is the destroyers, unless you want to deep strike your monolith and in that case I would use that as mobility for the Immortals. Everything in this list screams "shooty" and offensive, you could move around using Veil of Darkness or the monolith's portal but no matter what you do someone is going to be left behind. A space marine squad won't think twice about assaulting a unit of flayed one as they are mediocre at best and a unit of pariah's doesn't have a reliable method to get into combat. The way I see it is the best thing you can do is go all out shooty offensive and use assault as a defensive measure. Enemies always have to think twice about assaulting a unit of warriors if there is a tomb spyder or two nearby. Realistically, wraiths are rarely a game changing unit and scarabs can only last so long. I would go with the tomb spyder to: a) increase the survivability of your units, b) preserve points and enable a distance based WBB, c) force your enemy to consider whether or not he really has the advantage in the assault.

Just my two cents, tomb spyders all the way.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have no idea why, but Pariahs never really seemed to grab me. I don't own any, and I really don't plan to. I mean, their stats are pretty awesome, their weapons are great... I just think that Immortals are the better Elite choice. Maybe I'm crazy, but to me, Pariahs seem only good for guarding something; I can't see them launching a good offense.
In your opinion Gabe, what are Pariahs good for? Because if I can't find anything, I probably won't end up buying any.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Okay, so I get it. I was liking the flayed ones just for the infiltrate, and they had an additional attack with 4 int. Thats not that cool I guess.

Pariahs, never really had a chance to making my army.

Sounds like its down to Wraiths or Tomb Spiders. Wraiths have always sounded pretty cool with their fast movement nad good int, attacks and str. My question is, they move like jetbikes, so they can move 12" and assault. So they can move 24" then too?

The thing is for me, it seems like the Wraith, although is fast and good attacks, does not have power weapons and only has one wound, therefore making it rather weak. I think you have all opened my eyes for the Tomb Spyders.

I was doubting the tomb spyders for this reason...I play the nids. Nids are fast. I hate slow moving assault units. 6" a turn is not a good way to get locked up. For this reason I was thinking the Flayed ones were good for infiltrate, the wraiths are fast, same with the scarabs. I knew I wanted a splash of CC just for the protection, so when it got to the point, I wouldent be so screwed.

Now on that thought, if I send my fast guys flying into cc, when I am a shooty team, I just lost those CC units. I want to have the splash CC as a back up plan, not an early strike. Tomb Spyders are a good unit for this. They can move forward with the rest of the warriors and immortals, give them a better WBB, and when I get charged, I will have a somewhat decent way of taking care of them. I love MC's (you should all know this if I play the nids) and a 55 point MC is a great way to go...I think!

So I think it clears it up, that Tomb spyders will be my choice for now...I havent been able to test them all in games because lately college is killing me.

So in 2000 points...does 2 tomb spyders sound good? More...less?

Edit: Probably a dumb question, I cant seem to find where it talks about the tomb spyder helping with the WBB and 12" and what not...where in the codex is that?
Old 04 Nov 2008, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

For the 12" WBB rolls, it's actually on page 13 with the rest of the WBB rules.