Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Immortal Tactica
Old 28 Oct 2008, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Immortal Tactica

Well... Here goes nothing. I'm new to the game, but I guess I could try to offer some advice on the Immortals, my favorite Necron Unit.

EDIT: With an extremely generous helping of advice from Gabriel_, we can go back and clarify some issues, clear things up, and overall just make the tactica better.

OVERVIEW:
Immortals serve as literal walking tanks, with a Toughness of FIVE and a save of 3+. So even if an enemy hits an Immortal, they'd better roll high to wound it. Their weapons are quite impressive, to put it lightly. With a range of 24" and a Str of FIVE, a squad of Immortals can simply tear through infantry units.

STRATEGY:
What I find to be most effective is (keep in mind this has to be a fairly high point match in the first place) is to send two units of Immortals around the side of the battlefield in an attempt to flank the enemy. Now, to actually flank the enemies (i.e. get somewhat behind enemy lines) the phalanx would have to slow down for a few turns, OR use the wonderful device we like to call Veil of Darkness. In fact, this is by far one of the best ways to get your Immortals a decent way past the front lines and into firing position. One quick thing: I'd recommend having a Tomb Spyder within those precious 12", just in case. These Immortals will be taking a brutal beating and will almost certainly need their WBB rolls to keep going. After your Immortals get behind the enemy lines per say, they can dish out extreme amounts of punishment and help take fire off the core of your Phalanx. Keep in mind Destroyers can do this same tactic (except w/o the VoD due to the natural speed) extremely well. Destroyers and Immortals working together can be deadly as well.
Now, what the Immortals can do once in position:
1- Take down any units not on the front lines. This may sound confusing, but think of it this way: instead of firing upon the units closet to your Phalanx, fire at enemy units giving them cover fire and dealing damage to your core Phalanx. Even though Necrons can resist horrendous amounts of damage, they still need to get a break from the oncoming fire every now and then.
2- Surround them. Being surrounded by Necrons is a horrible situation for any army! Basically, instead of firing on the units described above, simply fire on any units you see. In a way, it's like taking a piece of the Phalanx and putting it to the side of the enemy. This draws fire away from the Phalanx and onto the Immortals, who can take it.
3- Destroy Elites, vehicles, or any other unit that is truly punishing your army. A great example of this is any type of artillery that is out of range of your Phalanx. Even with the Necron's exceptional powers to resist death, they can still get killed none the less. With the Immortals behind the front lines, they can rip apart Artillery, Snipers, or a unit along these lines. If Immortals can kill, say, a Terminator Lord that was tearing your army to shreds, you've already got a huge step up on the enemy.
Any tactic can go horribly wrong, and this one can as well. Keep in mind that if anything goes wrong, your Immortals probably will die. If Immortals get too far behind enemy lines, they run the risk of being corned and trapped themselves. To avoid this, have your Lord on standby. Using the VoD can get them out of there in a hurry. This runs the risk of getting your HQ in range of the enemy units. In the next Movement Phase, get your Lord out of there ASAP. Once rejoined with the Phalanx, your HQ will be fine.
Another complication is if the Immortals can not make their WBB rolls. The only way this strategy could ever work is because they're Necrons, they'll keep coming back for more. If they can't... They'll be out of luck, not to mention this will bring you closer to Phasing Out. A Tomb Spyder within that magical 12" to keep the WBB rolls coming. For sure have him around.
Both of these complications are resolved by retreating; don't rule out sending them back out there though. Sure, Immortals serve as walking tanks and can completely annihilate enemy units from inside the Phalanx, but it really helps to vary up the strategy and increase the area you inhabit.

Drawbacks: 28 points. That's quite the toll, especially considering the ideal unit size is about 6-10 Immortals. So, a unit of 7 Immortals costs 196 points! Keep this in mind when implementing Immortals to your army.
Try to have your Immortals in Close Combat as little as possible. With an Ini. score of Two and one attack, it's best to keep these guys far from a mob of angry Genestealers.

I hope you find this somewhat useful in your conquest of all things living!
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Darkness2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 10:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Immortal Tactica

To start things off I would like to thank you for posting this. Because you are new to the game I highly value your opinion as it has been untainted and is unbiased. It's great to hear from a new player for more than one reason, firstly, you may have a brand new fresh idea about a unit or tactic that no one else has thought of. And secondly, if you share your knowledge with us, we will be able to give you the benefit of our experience and help you in your tactics and writings. So really its win/win.

I'm going to review this article based on my views and opinions, so nothing I say is set in stone and everything I say is meant to be constructive criticism and by no means personal. Well lets get started.

Your overview was excellent (although a little obvious), you hit the main points on the nose and established that Immortals are a force to be reckoned with. There is no problem here.

With regards to your strategy, I have a hard time understanding what you actually mean when you say "flank the enemy". I know what the words mean but I don't understand how they could relate to the tactical use of Immortals, I think you need to go into more detail here. Are you implying that two full units of Immortals should simply try to walk up the sides of the board to get to the sides of the enemy? Or should other methods be used such as a monolith or Veil of Darkness? Immortals are by no means fast units, they move at an average speed and have what could be regarded as a decent range, not the best or worst, but decent none the less.
You then speak of the well known phalanx that necrons are famous for, are you implying that Immortals should run ahead of the main army to disrupt enemy fire? This is a tactic that would be best left to the destroyers. Immortals, while they can deal out a large amount of firepower, simply aren't fast enough to reliably herd the enemy into the center of the board. I find they are best used when marching forward in unison with the rest of the warriors, not to say that they entire army should march in a straight line, but Immortals should cover the eerily silent advance of the rest of the phalanx.
Destroyers should be your ultimate flanking unit; they have speed, mobility, and vast amounts of raw firepower. They are the ones who should be flanking the enemy while the Immortals lay cover fire for the warriors and other units of equal speed.

The first aspect of your strategy is a little confusing. "Destroy the units not fighting", you can't shoot into an assault so this seems a little redundant. And with cover saves as prevalent as they are now, there is rarely an opportunity to fire at a unit that isn't in cover.
A proper ambush should be set up in a location that the enemy is forced to go through because all the other options are even worse. If you were to go up against Tyranids, one of their tactful ambush configurations is a Broodlord with a genestealer retinue infiltrating. A unit such as this would set up their ambush in your territory to guide your movement to suit their own needs. If a unit (or two) of Immortals could somehow manage to flank the enemy there would be no way for them to halt an upcoming ambush into your front lines. This concept of ambush suppression is confusing to me.

The second aspect of your strategy seems to focus on target priority. "If an army has a heavy unit firing upon the bulk of your army, you're screwed." I couldn't disagree more with that statement as the necrons are one of, if not the most, resilient armies in the 40k universe. We can take severe amounts of punishment and continue our implacable advance. This is one of the advantages of playing necrons, the enemy has to focus incredible amounts of firepower to take down even a single unit of warriors. Having said that, what should the Immortals primary targets be? When you say "damage heavy units" are you referring to units with heavy firepower or heavy assault units? Should terminators take target priority over space marines? I think if you used specific examples in your post that would greatly increase the quality of your article.
You mention tanks with regards to Immortals, in my opinion there are few infantry models that are more capable of standing up against a tank than Immortals. Take into consideration the new rules for defensive weaponry, most tanks carry one large weapon with a high strength and low armour piercing value but few shots. There are few tanks that carry enough firepower to take down even a 5 man squad of Immortals in one round of shooting, and keep in mind that the only way a vehicle can deny Immortals their WBB from shooting is to have a weapon with Strength 10.

Now a look at your disadvantages, you say "Immortals run a very high risk of death". I would say just the opposite, they are one of the most resilient units in the game. Their WBB essentially allows another armour saving roll to be taken, they have twice the survivability of almost any other unit. A unit of 8 space marines fails their armour save and are taken off the board, they are done for good. A unit of 8 warriors or Immortals fails their armour saves and then makes 3 WBB rolls so only 5 are taken off the board and are out of the game for good. In no way do I see this to be a disadvantage, and even though every loss takes us closer to phase out, we should remember that the fact that we get an extra saving roll in the first place is a huge advantage and should be countered by a rule such as phase out.
Looking at the point cost of an Immortal, I would say that if anything, they are underpriced. Toughness 5, 3+ armour save, WBB, with strength 5 assault weapons. Sounds like a bargain to me.

I feel there are some points that you should cover in your next post or maybe just revamp this one. Using specific examples is a great way to demonstrate a units effectiveness and potential, and giving more options with regards to actual tactics is always good. It's not really a tactic to simply say "flank the enemy and fire on heavy units", a tactic would describe ways in which to flank the enemy, what units should take target priority, and what to do if things don't go your way. A tactic should have flexibility and be able to adapt to changing battlefield situations. If you were to include more variety with regards to strategy that would turn a good article into a great one.

Well I think I've ranted for long enough and hopefully I have given you something to thing about. Remember that everything I said is my view and opinion so don't take anything personally. Keep writing more articles, it's great to hear from a new player as your thoughts help shape the entire community. And even a veteran player can learn something from a newbie.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 23:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Karma for both of you. Good work.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 21:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

First of all, thanks a lot to Gabriel for not just writing me off as a n00b. I'm glad that my opinion is respected here and not shot down for being written by a newcomer to 40K. Now, to clarify my mangled English..
-Flank the Enemy. Well, I should have said that this only works if the Necrons are walking forward in a phalanx. Like this: (X=Enemy Units, ____=Cron Phalanx) Now, what the Immortals do is go to the sides in a V shape, like so:
X X X X
\ X X /
\ /
\___________________/
The angled lines represent the Immortals' path. From this side position, I find that they can simple slaughter the units not on the front lines, and help take the fire off the Warriors/Scarabs/Lord/Monolith/Whatever you have there. The units not fighting, well, okay, that's pretty stupid, but more what I meant was the enemy units not on the front lines; units not close enough to go through the assault phase. Units providing cover fire, snipers, etc.

Now, I do agree that Destroyers can move faster, but I never intend for Immortals to get fully behind enemy lines, just enough to cause some havoc internally. As for tanks, sorry about that, I was still going with 4th Ed. rules there. My bad.
Now, as for a large number of units being fired upon, indeed, Necrons are amazingly resilient, however, I have a somewhat irrational fear of Phasing Out (don't ask why, I don't know), so to me, the idea of losing around 5 or more Necrons forever (as in, failed WBB roll) scares me and sends me into a panic like few others. I guess that's just me.
As for running a high risk of death, well, if a group of Immortals breach enemy lines and start reducing people into piles of red golp, you'll probably find the enemy striking back in full force. And a lot of the times here, even with their armor, Toughness, and WBB rolls, they still end up dead. Still though, besides that, Immortals are just simply extremely difficult, if not impossible, to kill for good.

I'll edit my first post up a bit, I just wanted to run these things by you and see what you thought of it. And thanks for the critiques, it means a lot to me that you spent this much time telling me how to improve and not how much of a newb I am.

They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Everyone started out as a n00b, and every n00b should have the benefit of a more experienced player's experience. 77, Moderator of the Tyranid boards taught me how to play, and every once in a while I rely on him for "wisdom" and such. So keep asking questions and you'll keep getting answers.

I have a question for you though, how exactly are you implementing the phalanx? A traditional phalanx moves steadily forward, and is in keeping with the necron fluff. A steady moving, unrelenting wall of mechanical killing machines coming straight at you. Could you explain to me how your Immortals are getting ahead of the phalanx? Does the phalanx remain stationary? I wouldn't expect the Immortals to get that far ahead without relying on running and thus forfeiting their incredible shooting. How do you go about setting up your army, and more importantly, how do you set up your Immortals?
Old 01 Nov 2008, 17:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually, that's a great question! Gah, I can't believe I missed that part. Yes, the Phalanx would wait a movement phase, maybe moving at half speed (you still want it to be moving) and let the Immortals branch off at full speed. Your warriors and such should still be in range and can keep dishing out damage, but will stay back just a bit to let the Immortals make a path of their own.

Any other critiques? If not, I'll probably go back and edit the original post to add in what you said, make the whole thing clearer, etc.
Old 02 Nov 2008, 00:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

There's really not much more I can say. If you edit the original post I would say that it should be made very clear how to get the Immortals to the flanks in the first place.
Old 02 Nov 2008, 01:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Excellent, I'll get around to it soon-ish (why yes, I am that lazy), and I'll make sure to credit you in the edited post.
Old 03 Nov 2008, 04:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thank you, I'm very flattered
Old 03 Nov 2008, 08:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

There is something that you are missing.

The 10 Immortals + lord with Orb and Veil combination.

Not only that this a mobile, very disruptive and a hard hitting unit. You get the important toughness of 5, which increases your survivability greatly.

Everybody knows about the Necron Phalanx, and just about
every knows how to counter it.

But to counter the now mobile immortal unit will take a lot of positioning and firepower from your opponent to grind it down, if possible.

This gives the rest of your army survivability as a whole.

It is "how creative" you use your Army and what kinds of risks are you willing to take against your opponent that makes your army as a whole Effective.