Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necron Newbie...
Old 20 Oct 2008, 23:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Necron Newbie...

I've just been getting into 40K, and have chosen the wonderfully morbid Necrons as my army of choice. I just had a few quick questions
-Painting Tips. If I can, I'll try to upload some of my painted models. Constructive Criticism would be much appreciated.
-I've got a semi-decent army list planned for myself, but I'd love some critiques here as well. As a side note, I do NOT have all these figures yet. In time, in time.
1 Necron Lord
4 Immortals
22 Warriors
3 Wraiths
2 Scarab Swarms
1 Monolith
In total, 990 points
-And lastly, if anyone can clue me in as to when the 5th Edition Codex comes out. As I said, I'm a total newbie, just give me some time. =D
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Darkness2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 23:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine
Default Re: Necron Newbie...

no offense, but Use the search bar up to the upper right hand corner lol.

Probably second quarter next year. Plus some new plastic models as been rumoured...
Old 20 Oct 2008, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I am aware that the search bar is extremely helpful, BUT, I personally learn much more from a real person than some expert from 'Eavy Metal. And for the army list, I was just trying to get a better idea from people who thought that it was a poor army list, bad, etc.

Thanks for the Codex Info however.
They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void
Old 21 Oct 2008, 08:03   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi,

I too am just getting into WarHammer 40k and Necrons, my plan (thanks in part to helpful advice from members here) is to get together a small 500ish point army of 2 Warrior troops of 10 or 12, and 1 Necron Lord with resurrection orb to start with and then build from there.

Interesting to hear more about the new plastic model rumours...

Cheers.
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 21:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness2393
I am aware that the search bar is extremely helpful, BUT, I personally learn much more from a real person than some expert from 'Eavy Metal. And for the army list, I was just trying to get a better idea from people who thought that it was a poor army list, bad, etc.

Thanks for the Codex Info however.
What are you on about?
Im talking about TO....

I was saying you should use the search bar in TauOnline because this has been brought up before, no need to start another topic when it is already mentioned elsewhere.

We really do not know much about the necron rumours. However, i will go dig up the topic from a few weeks back from BOLS.

And here it is - http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/...s-necrons.html

Q2 is when the update may come. C'Tan being used in only apocalypse, some new necron lords. Force Organization chart being swapped around. And apparently some new plastic models. Some Flayed Ones in plastic as far as i know, hopefully more. However DE shoudl come first =\

Oh for you i have also read somewhere. Apparently they may be removing the WBB Rule.
Don't know why but they are replacing it with better stats or so.

Any how. That is all i know my friend, best wishes it is Q2
Old 24 Oct 2008, 04:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If I was a newbie to 'Crons, I'd start with the Necron Warrior Phalanx and order it from Gorilla Tactics, for an insanely low price you'd get a balanced 1500 army.
Ivellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

Okay, i have 1000+ Pnts i think, and i have 40 Warriors, 2 heavy destroyers, 3 Destroyers, 8/9 Scarab swarms, tomb spyder, Necron lord W/ Warsythe, Res. Orb, and a wraith.
As you can see, i have a lot of warriors, to beef up my Phase Out.
I would suggest maybe the £50 although, it comes with no Lord. :-\, also, maybe drop the monolith untill 1500/2000 Pnts, as it eats up points which could be used on models which help your Phase Out number.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 18:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the forums!

The 5th Edition Codex is definitely coming, but the order is still uncertain. It might be third from now, or fourth. It might even be second after Imperial Guard. Usually we have a better sense of the order, but right now there are three books after Guard that we know are being worked on, but we have little constrain on the timing.

With that in mind, I could guess at what parts of the army are likely to change, and which will stay the same. Warriors are always going to be important. There will almost certainly be new HQ models, but the current versions aren't that expensive.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:44   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the info!
Does anyone know the code and/or the price for the Necron Phalanx for Gorilla Tactics?
Old 02 Nov 2008, 08:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

I also am a necron newbie. Ive been playing for 6 years with Tyranids and Tau... with Tau being my main of course.

So I bought the codex yesterday because I have been wanting to play them for 2 years, and NOBODY here plays them. What a great opportunity.

I have a few questions though.

What are your thoughts on Immortals and Pariahs? I used them (stand-ins) both today and wasnt sure if I liked them. 28 points and 36... man those are expensive. The immortals Im not sure if they are that worth it. Sure they get one more toughness and an assault gun (vs. the rapid gun). I just dont see them as that. . . useful. However I did like the Pariahs for the sweet guns, war scythe and the 5 5 str and tough.

How many troops do you all usual use in a 2000?

I personally think the wraiths ROCK. Comming from the nids, a good Warrior costs about 40ish. THese are 41, 12" movement with an invulnerable 3+, and 3 attacks with 6 str and int. I like them... I think. What do you all think?

Destroyers.... I love. Im pretty sure you all do too.

I think the Tomb spyder is dead weight. If I am reading it right... it only moves 6"? Is that right... the Hover ability messes with me a bit. Does it move 6 or 12? They just dont seem that impressive.

The big question is.... How many monoliths should I use. I know one is standard. But 2? I like it pretty good. A good marine killer, thats for sure.

I think basically I want someone to tell me what they think of everything.... pros and cons. Then I want some basic lists that you would typically use. Like one list takes all. (2000 points).

Also, some questions that we came across in the game. When I deep strike with my Monolith... if I land in the jungle, do I need to take a dangerous terrain test? Or is it just like when I land on the troops...nothing happens? When my monolith gets a 'cannot shoot' result... does that apply to my particle whip? I know my gauss flux arc cannot shoot...becuase its a gun, but the particle whip is from the Power Matrix.

Tell me what you all think!
freaky_beef is offline   Reply With Quote