Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monolith Tactica
Old 18 Oct 2008, 18:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Monolith Tactica

The Monolith

Ever since I started playing Necrons a few years back, I've always had a Monolith. I argued the, and I argue now, that the Monolith is the best tank in the game - nothing else works better with the rest of your army. And with armour 14 all around, and the new 5th ed rules, not much is going to be able to take you down easily - and some armies will have next to nothing which will stop you (Blood Angels, my regular opponent, comes to mind)

What is the Monolith?

Quote:
The Monolith combines the properties of Transport craft, armoured destroyer and Necron power icon. Its ponderous form floats across the battlefield, its crystal core pulsing with sickly energy, powerful beams of gauss lightening whipping from its weapon mounts. The frontal section is capable of opening a dark portal, and transporting Necrons to the battlefied to cause fresh havoc
Give me one good reason why I should take a Monolith!

I had to slip this in somewhere. Because model is absolutly fabulous. I have my Monoliths sitting on my desk to show them off.

Has the Monolith gotten better since 4th ed?

Yes. Basically. With tanks harder to take down the Monolith reins supreme under "hard to kill" tanks. Whilst the Land Raider also has armour 14 all around, a bright lance or a chainfist will still stand a chance of blowing it back to the machine god. Not so with the Monolith, which has the fancy Living Metal rule which negates the bonuses that some weapons come with.

I'm getting ahead of myself, apologies. Let's look at what the Monolith can do.

Teleporting I'm going to go into this in a bit more detail later on. But yes, Necron units within 12" of the Monolith can be teleported through its doors, dragging them out of combat, and even letting them take their WBB rolls again.

Living Metal The iceing on the cake.

Quote:
In practice, any weapon attacking the Monolith will roll for armour penetration using its unaugmented strength and a single D6 no matter what
It doesn't get clearer than that. This rule makes the Monolith very difficult for the opponent to take it down.

Deep Strike What could be scarier than the Monolith landing behind your lines with 15 Necron Warriors inside, and unleashing 30 Gauss shots into your back. Granted with the disabling of the Gauss rules, this isn't perfect for nailing Tanks from behind like it once was, but even so, a unit of 2+ saves Terminators is quite likely to roll at least a few ones when hit with that amount of shots. It's also worth noting that when you bring the Monolith down, even if it lands on top of another unit, it's sheer mass means they'll just move out the way, and the 'lith will survive. So no problems there.

Flux Arc Another beauty of a weapon, that is evil against hordes. Any unit within 12" of the 'lith will take D6 Str5 AP4 shots. It's random how many shots you'll get off, but when you roll that magic 6 against a unit of Eldar and watch them go down, it's glorious. Oh, and it's Gauss as well, so you may blow a gun off that Tank you've landed next to. Don't rely on this to batter everything into submission mind, putting a 'lith down to blast away sounds fine, but you're usually within assault range to use this, and a power fist can still hurt a 'lith - it's hard, but sometimes....

Power Matrix This is the big daddy of the Monolith's abilities and I'll tell you why. You can do one of two things with the Matrix, firstly you can fire off the particle whip, which is a lovely ordinance weapon (made better by 5th ed I might add) which is a Str9 AP3 blast. Anything under the center of the template gets that at AP1. Again, against hordes thats a nasty attack, and Tanks will not enjoy being blasted by that.

Remember you can't fire the Whip and the Flux Arc. But thats ok, since when you're within 12" of other Necrons you can use the portal, and thats when the fun really begins.

There's one of two things you can do with the Portal.

(1)
Quote:
If a unit of Necron Warriors is eligible to enter play from Reserve then they must emerge from the portal even if you would prefer to fire the particle whip. Only one unit of Warriors can enter play from each Monolith in a single turn
So you can land it on turn 2 and unleash a unit of warriors from within to blast away. I've already mentioned this, and when I talk about teleporting madness later on, i'll go into a bit more detail. Just remember that Phase Out is calculated by models on the board, so don't shove the majority of your warriors in the 'liths to be brought in - you loose quite quickly doing that.

(2)
Quote:
If there are no eligible reserves and a Necron unit (anything with the Necron special rules) is at least partially within 18" of the Monolith - even if they are in close combat - then they can phase out and re-emerge from the portal. Any models in that unit that failed their WBB roll may re-roll once as they emerge from the portal. A unit phasing out may not move before moving through the portal
Yes, you read that right. If your unit is stuck in close combat with some nasty unit of death, then you can just whisk them out, and they'll be on their way. They can also move when they come out of the portal I believe, so you can drag your Wraiths forward to your deep struck position and unleash them on a unit of devastators hiding at the back.

This tactic has seen endless fustration from my opponents over the years, and countless cries of "You can't do that!" Yes, we can, and we love it. The only problem here is that if a unit of Warriors is assaulted en masse by, say, The Death Company, there usually isn't anything left to teleport out of combat. Which leads me into this.

Sounds pretty sweet! Whats the down side

While 235 points is an absolute bargin for what the Monolith can do, it's also 235 points thats not being spent on Warriors. Which brings you that little bit closer to Phase Out. In my list, I run with 2 Monoliths and absolutly loads of warriors with a Res Orb Lord, which does fantastically against some armies, but then assault based armies will just munch their way through the warriors and completely ignore the Monoliths - which is a tactic at X Legion in particula rI saw used against me time and again to see me Phased out.

Dropping the Monolith into the middle of an army unsupported and expecting it to hold up an entire force is questionable at best. You can garuntee that anything that has melta bombs or a power fist will hurry over to it and blast it away. It's tough, but it's not invincible.

Going back to points, if you run with a Monolith don't take a C'Tan. You're looking at 500+ points easily there, in 2 models that don't contribute to Phase out. One of the more ridiculous armies I've seen was 3 Monoliths, the Deciever and 27 Warriors. Yes, you read that right, 27. It's the only time I've seen a turn one phase out, because there simply weren't enough warriors. In my opinion, you need at least 30 warriors in a Necron army, or at least 35 odd models who contribute to stopping Phase out.

What should my Monolith be scared of?

Hardened Vetrans with Melta Guns Don't laugh, because I've lost count of the times when my 'lith has been blasted away by a cheap little unit of drop podding Guardsmen with a melta gun who has spotted a crack in the armour.

Space Marine Devastator Squads 4 Lascannons which will see you and will be shooting at you. The same goes for Havocs and Broardsides, and many other heavy weapon squads out there which my tired brain refuses to remember at this point. The Monolith is pretty big, and it won't take much for a squad to be able to pick it out. My advice is Scarabs or Wraiths nipping forward quickly to take them out.

The Nightbringer/other monstrous creatures The Nightbring in particular, or a Greater Demon with Str10 will rip open the Monolith on a 4+ and while it only rolls one d6 for armour penetration...thats one too many. Blast 'em with Gauss till they're not moving anymore - that usually does the job.

Powerfists Obviously.

Imperial Guard Tank Lines Because 3 Lemun Russes shooting at you is not fun. Again, the 'lith is pretty big, so even if the template scatters, there's a lot of 'lith to be hit. This is an army I suffer playing against for this reason, and that my friend who plays Guard is a very, very lucky git when it comes to rolling artillary dice.

Teleporting

I said I'd talk about it and I shall. Warrior based Necron armies are, generally, pretty slow. But Combine a Monolith with a Veil and you have an army which can be teleported all over the board, picking apart opponents forces a piece at a time, and making them run all over the board trying to get to you. Remember the unit which is being Teleported cannot move before going through the portal, but the Monolith sure can. Try moving it round the back of that Russ which has been pounding you and dropping a Necron Lord with a Warcythe back there. Or send a Destroyer unit to deal with a unit of scouts and then pull them back into the fight. The possibilities are - quite literally - endless with the portal, and makes a massive impact on the battlefield.

And don't forget you can re-roll WBB when you go through. So it's sometimes worth portaling a mauled unit over just to try and restore some damage.

Deep striking is a two sided blade with the monolith. I like the idea, but I haven't deep struck my Monoliths in a long time. Why? Because Phase out is based on the models on the board and it means you could be very easily phased out quickly, if your Monoliths decide not to turn up. I know every other player I know swears by Deep Striking Monoliths, but I'm the one Necron player I know who dislikes Immortals, so there's obviously room for debate here.

Conclusion

My apologies if I've missed things and not gone into massive amounts of detail. I'm very tired, but I may well come back and do more as it comes to me.

For me, the Monolith is the crown jewel of the Necron army, but like everything else in the army, it's just another cog in the machine. It does better than most when on its own, but supported, it becomes unstoppable. My W/D/L ratio with the Necrons has gone through the roof since I started taking two, and I'm working on affording a third for Apocolypse battles.

Good Luck to you

Gunslinger

The Welshman!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Monolith Tactica

Great article. Recommended.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Brilliant stuff! Never realised there was so much you could do with Monoliths, I can't believe I used to just move it slowly across the field, using only the Particle Whip. I'm too dull.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 13:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland, Last Gunslinger
The Monolith

Teleporting I'm going to go into this in a bit more detail later on. But yes, Necron units within 12" of the Monolith can be teleported through its doors, dragging them out of combat, and even letting them take their WBB rolls again.

Dropping the Monolith into the middle of an army unsupported and expecting it to hold up an entire force is questionable at best. You can garuntee that anything that has melta bombs or a power fist will hurry over to it and blast it away. It's tough, but it's not invincible.

Imperial Guard Tank Lines Because 3 Lemun Russes shooting at you is not fun. Again, the 'lith is pretty big, so even if the template scatters, there's a lot of 'lith to be hit. This is an army I suffer playing against for this reason, and that my friend who plays Guard is a very, very lucky git when it comes to rolling artillary dice.

Gunslinger
I'm pretty sure monoliths could teleport units from 18" away. Correct me if I'm wrong I don't have the necron codex handy.

Dropping anything unsuported anywhere is a bad idea...good call

What kind of russes? If they are just standered Leman russ battle tanks then your monolith need not fear rather your warriors. A strengh 8 ap 3 shot will fry warriors by the dozen, but will only ever glance against a monolith, and with the new rules for 5th ed, that won't kill it. However if it's a leman russ demolisher with a nice str 10 ap2 shot, then you have need to fear.

Railguns are still scarier though... >
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 13:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not bad, it can teleport from 18" away. With the new change in rules the Monolith has become even harder to kill, which is always nice.

I've seen three Monolith armies work simply because the warriors all got two chances to take a save, and since the lord had an orb it was some pretty mean cheese.

Also, again with the new vehicle damage chart, combined with true los, a three monolith army at even 1500 points is possible.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 01:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:

What should my Monolith be scared of?

Dreadnaughts usually fo the job, and Vindicators. When I play against necrons, my Vindicator and his Monolith usually have a nice firefight
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 02:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There is one more thing that can scare a Monolith, and I'm surprised you didn't mention it on a tau-centric board. A squad of broadsides! No melta effect to be negated, twinlinked to hit, glancing on a 4+, penetrating on a 5+, and it's AP1 for +1 on the damage chart.

In most games I've played, if the necron player doesn't tie up the broadsides in some way on the first turn that the monolith shows up, the broadsides will kill it. If they don't, then the necrons wipe the board with the tau force, but with a full squad of broadsides my money is not on the monolith!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 02:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

I have to agree... Broadsides are the bain of 'liths... My Necron buddy kinda..."forgets"... to bring the 'lith when facing my Broadside Battery ;D but at the same token Heavy Destroyers are the bain of Broadsides... and Scarabs are just plain annoying!! *grumbles at the mechanical, nibbly critters of doom*
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 13:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Deep striking is a two sided blade with the monolith. I like the idea, but I haven't deep struck my Monoliths in a long time. Why? Because Phase out is based on the models on the board and it means you could be very easily phased out quickly, if your Monoliths decide not to turn up.
Phase out is based on the necron models in your army not on the board. Reserves count towards the total, the only problem is if your monolith gets destroyed while you have warriors waiting to come through the portal, then the warriors count as being destroyed.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Phase out is based on the necron models in your army not on the board. Reserves count towards the total, the only problem is if your monolith gets destroyed while you have warriors waiting to come through the portal, then the warriors count as being destroyed.
Really? I never knew that!

When I get back from college later, I'll update this tactica.

R

The Welshman!
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote