Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to beat down CC horde armies with necrons.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 06:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default How to beat down CC horde armies with necrons.

So I just got my owned by an Ork player who had a LOT of orks out there he had a horde army with a mek that gave any unit within 6" of him a 5+ cover save. This was a 1500 point game and I found myself lacking firepower, enough to hold them off specially when I can't even get straight kills for every wound.

So how does Necron win over these type of CC horde armies?

Taking destroyers for mobility? But you can only run so far...and the orks and other horde armies will still be able to shoot you while you can only kill 3 per destroyer so is that really effective?

I tried immortals which did fairly good and even assaulted one of the units to keep them tied up as they tried to wound toughness 5.

But it really made me wonder how on earth do necron players deal with these type of armies??
Old 27 Sep 2008, 06:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to beat down CC horde armies with necrons.

Well, I don't play necrons, but how about flayed ones? They are nasty in combat, and I've seen scarab swarms to pretty impressive things too.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 06:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Well, I don't play necrons, but how about flayed ones? They are nasty in combat, and I've seen scarab swarms to pretty impressive things too.
flayed ones are no better than chaos space marines in cc. except for the terrifying visage thing but the typical cc horde armies are tyranids and orks both of which will be immune to morale tests most of the time.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 10:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

how about a lith horde armys often lack strong fire power...so your particle whip has some effect and it lasts+teleport yourself out of combat

destroyers are fairly good against horde armies like, nids...although they need time to really make them suffer, for there are more bodies than bullets sometimes :P
immortals: almost the same as destroyers, well they aren't that mobile, but hey! we've got a lord+VoD for that. rapid fire warriors can do quite a lot dmg with their S4 ap5 ...but orks are tough, true. It requires a lot of tactic too :P but that's always a must...tactic...
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 11:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

In order to counter a CC type Ork army, you'll need to take some CC units yourself, such as Wraiths, Flayed Ones, Tomb Spyders, or even Pariahs. By having some of these units, you could tie up the Ork horde whilst the other units (such as Warriors, Immortals, Destroyers) - can just fire upon the Orks and whither them down.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ork armies struggle with high T models...or at least, regular troops do. I find the deceiver can essentially tear his way through ork troop units without danger. Sure, he wont kill them all in one phase, but thanks to winning combat solidly every round, he'll get lots of extra wounds to combat resolution, and ork saves blow. He should run through a unit in a couple turns.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 16:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've played Necrons against Tyranids before and I have to say that Deep Striking a Monolith into the middle of the table to get D6 shots on almost the whole army is pretty effective.

As the Monolith is dealing with the swarmy threats, have things like your destroyers focus on anti-tank elements.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 19:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This guy had no tanks at all it was all infantry and every unit had a power klaw so he'd kill necrons outright every turn. He did struggle against Immortals tho, took him 3 rounds of combat to get rid of a 10 man squad. Wraith's arent very good because of small numbers in the unit and low number of attacks.

The monolith definetly performs well I agree with that, I killed about 10 orks with the flux and 10 more with the particle whip.

I didn't even think about the lord with VOD that's a good tactic would've worked here to single out the ork units that weren't within 6" of that dude that gives 5+ cover saves.

I'll have to toss that lord in and take out the wraiths for destroyers.

Heavy destroyers were soooo not helpful in this game
Old 27 Sep 2008, 20:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The bright side with no vehicles is...hes slow as dirt. You could literally deploy the monolith normally, move it forward six inches, and start shooting at the wave as they come at you. Together with the fire from the rest of the unit, you should do aright.

Wraiths can be good, but only if used in conjunction with other units. For example, a destroyer lord in there helps out a bit. Scarabs are also fun, simply because they can tie stuff up. They wont win, mind you, but sometimes locking up a small unit with an annoying power klaw is all you need.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 07:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Ork armies struggle with high T models...or at least, regular troops do. I find the deceiver can essentially tear his way through ork troop units without danger. Sure, he wont kill them all in one phase, but thanks to winning combat solidly every round, he'll get lots of extra wounds to combat resolution, and ork saves blow. He should run through a unit in a couple turns.
well, then you have your 300 pts units tie-ing up a unit of what, 80 points orks? not effective aye...
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote