Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scarabs Turbo-boosting 3+ or 2+ cover save??
View Poll Results: If a scarab unit uses turbo boost as in 5th edition rules does it get a 3+ or 2+ COVER save?
2+ because turbo-boost and stealth/swarm unit combine. 38 73.08%
3+ the small target rule does not apply to them. 1 1.92%
2+ for another reason not mentioned. 1 1.92%
3+ for another reason not mentioned. 1 1.92%
I didn't realize they could get 2+ until now 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Scarabs Turbo-boosting 3+ or 2+ cover save??

well i played a game and i finally used scarabs to test them out and well I turbo-boosted my way into my opponent's lines. Then i read the turbo-boost rule which in 5th edition is different than before. Instead of an invulnerable, you get a 3+ cover save! Thus I deducted that my scarabs now have a 2+ cover save against everything every single time they turbo-boost.

Both me and my opponent were shocked about this, so what say you? It's a huge leap from 4th edition rules.

also one more thing..the lord can't use veil of darkness on scarabs? because I just read the rule and it seems like you can't but i could've sworn that i've seen players at my local store do it. So i'm perplexed either something's going way over my head or there's a lot of cheating going on with necron players.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 18:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Re: Scarabs Turbo-boosting 3+ or 2+ cover save??

Didn't realise that until now...

But yes, as the Turbo-boosting only stops you from going to ground & the Stealth rule states that it applies to any of the units cover saves.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Seems self-evident. Go Scarabs!
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

"
also one more thing..the lord can't use veil of darkness on scarabs? because I just read the rule and it seems like you can't but i could've sworn that i've seen players at my local store do it. So i'm perplexed either something's going way over my head or there's a lot of cheating going on with necron players."

No you cannot teleport Scarabs.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 21:24   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Those ebil bastards I predict that Scarabs are being stripped of their ability to turbo-boost.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why wouldn't they get it? Small targets going really fast = really really hard to hit.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 22:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Given this new information (new to me,) a squad of scarabs have a new place in my 1500 point army.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 22:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Given this new information (new to me,) a squad of scarabs have a new place in my 1500 point army.
They are tricky to kill, but a savvy tau player can still do it. As has been discussed elsewhere, the best way is a hammerhead submunition with 5 markerlights to remove the cover save. Double wounds because it's a blast weapon and Instant Death for double toughness! Missile pods, flamers, and the AFP are also good if you don't have a railhead handy.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 22:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother-Captain Lucius Faust (viorlashasui)
Why wouldn't they get it? Small targets going really fast = really really hard to hit.
my friend nearly quit the game we were playing after i turbo-boosted and explained to him that I had a 2+ save against his large blast from the hammerhead lolz
Old 25 Sep 2008, 23:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother-Captain Lucius Faust (viorlashasui)
my friend nearly quit the game we were playing after i turbo-boosted and explained to him that I had a 2+ save against his large blast from the hammerhead lolz
He shoulda known better! In 5th edition a tau player has to have lots of markerlights to deal with the pesky cover saves. Failing that, hitting them with ABFP and flamers, which ignore cover saves, will whittle them down fairly fast.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote