Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monolith Ponderous or Not?
View Poll Results: What does Ponderous really mean? can the monolith move more than 6" per turn?
Yes, as stated in the rulebook, all vehicles can choose to move at cruising/flat out speed if they forgo shooting. 0 0%
Yes. Ponderous is a 3rd edition rulebook rule that allowed the monolith to move combat speed without worry of suffering a wreked or 'drift' result like other skimmers. 0 0%
Good question I always wondered this myself. This should be FAQ too, Ponderous doesn't do make sense now that only skimmers who move flat out can be 'wrecked' by immobilized results making the rule pointless. 1 3.33%
No. Even tho the rule makes absolutely no sense with current rules, you can only move 6" max period and takes precedence over the new vehicle movement rules. 18 60.00%
No, you can't move more than 6" but we need a new codex to fix this because the rule really doesnt make sense or do anything unless we were able to move faster than combat speed in the first place. 6 20.00%
No. 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Sep 2008, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Monolith Ponderous or Not?

Ok so here's the question...can you move faster than combat speed with a monolith?

I read the ponderous rule a few times and I know the codex is a 3rd edition codex and it makes sense with 3rd edition vehicle rules and all the drifting nonsense and also skimmers 'crashing' after moving and being shot.

However in 5th edition vehicle rules skimmers only 'crash' if they moved at cruising/flat out speed. And there's no more drifting. These are the things the ponderous rule was meant to protect against allowing the monolith to move like normal without worry. It never states that you can't forgo shooting and move flat out like all other vehicles (power matrix always being able to be used of course).

Like with other stuff that suffered changes in other codexes I view this ponderous rule as one of the rules that simply became obsolete (useless) in the new rulebook. Much like everything that added to the 'model' count for assault results. Even in 4th edition it made little sense except for the immobilized result on a skimmer which was still the same but everything else didn't add up. Now the rule is just blatantly pointless

My personal opinion is that vehicles always have their standard movement rules like every other vehicle or 'thing' in 40k, I've never seen any other unit that doesnt have a designated movement speed like slow and purposeful or that moved like normal like everyone else can someone give me an example of a current codex with a unit that has movement restriction rules that aren't of the same type that applies universally?

Ponderous seems like a 'power' rather than a movement restriction to me. But that could be just me. And being new to necrons and all, i could very well be completely wrong and maybe somehow this rule makes sense in 5th edition.

what say you?
Old 24 Sep 2008, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine
Default Re: Monolith Ponderous or Not?

Can u tell me what ponderous means in the codex?
Old 24 Sep 2008, 16:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Marine
Not a necron player?

Am I allowed to quote the codex? if not mods feel free to edit this.

anyhow here's the ponderous power:
"The monolith is a skimmer which can move up to 6" a turn and can if it wishes remain totally stationary. It will not drift if stunned or shaken and if immobilised will not crash like other skimmers, but will sink slowly to the ground and continue to fight from there."

see why it makes absolutely no sense in 5th edition?

no drift rules
and only skimmers that crash from immobilised results are those that were moving flat out and getting a cover save.

in 3rd edition and 4th this power was useful to prevent crashing and drifting respectively but now it's a pointless thing in the monolith entry.

Old 24 Sep 2008, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Marine
Not a necron player?

Am I allowed to quote the codex? if not mods feel free to edit this.

anyhow here's the ponderous power:
"The monolith is a skimmer which can move up to 6" a turn and can if it wishes remain totally stationary. It will not drift if stunned or shaken and if immobilised will not crash like other skimmers, but will sink slowly to the ground and continue to fight from there."

see why it makes absolutely no sense in 5th edition?

no drift rules
and only skimmers that crash from immobilised results are those that were moving flat out and getting a cover save.

in 3rd edition and 4th this power was useful to prevent crashing and drifting respectively but now it's a pointless thing in the monolith entry.
Ok.
The rule stays in effect for the most part.
It can only move 6 inches per turn, just ignore the crashed part, that kinda hinders the monolith.
Sadly i have to say you will have to wait until a new codex to see if that is removed.
that, or (make sure you ask your friends) make a house rule.

Give the monolith these powers instead of ponderous-
-Slow and purposeful
-Relentless

Seems like a good trade to make it up to date.
Even though i hate necrons with a passion, i still think that would make it balanced, yes?
Old 24 Sep 2008, 16:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i see where you are going with that...but those 2 rules are meant for infantry not tanks. I mean don't get me wrong i'll follow the codex/rulebooks regardless I don't really like making house rules because i can't take them with me when I go play other people at other places.

But I do really think the ponderous thing was meant to be a 'power' not a description of the monolith's movement. (but then again I just started necrons in 5th editon so i have no idea what they were like since 3rd or whatever)

So i'll go with whatever the majority opinion regarding this 'power' is.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

It can only move 6"
This is to show it's a giant floating pyramid of death, it's not designed to go fast or be speedy.

It does exactly as it says, it can move up to 6" or stay still.
The crashing part is ignored as as it's a general rule now.
Drifting is ignored as that rule no longer exists :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
It can only move 6"
This is to show it's a giant floating pyramid of death, it's not designed to go fast or be speedy.

It does exactly as it says, it can move up to 6" or stay still.
The crashing part is ignored as as it's a general rule now.
Drifting is ignored as that rule no longer exists :P
Exactly, you ignore rules that make no sense and follow the rules that do .
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

lolz it's that same thinking that makes me question that 'rule' lol

if i follow what makes sense then the whole thing doesnt make sense.

because what purpose does it serve for a monolith to have a rule that limits it to a 6" move max? that just makes no sense to me, what is that there for?

the rest of the rule is what makes it make sense as it shows ponderous as a 'power' vs vehicle damage. Now it's just a movement limiter and for a vehicle that doesnt really make sense in my head. Specially a vehicle that is a skimmer and can even deepstrike. But any how looks like the majority of ppl are saying no so i'll go with that next time I play unless a sudden wave of 'yes u can move more than 6" rains in lol with a good argument different than my own.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 18:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
lolz it's that same thinking that makes me question that 'rule' lol

if i follow what makes sense then the whole thing doesnt make sense.

because what purpose does it serve for a monolith to have a rule that limits it to a 6" move max? that just makes no sense to me, what is that there for?

the rest of the rule is what makes it make sense as it shows ponderous as a 'power' vs vehicle damage. Now it's just a movement limiter and for a vehicle that doesnt really make sense in my head. Specially a vehicle that is a skimmer and can even deepstrike. But any how looks like the majority of ppl are saying no so i'll go with that next time I play unless a sudden wave of 'yes u can move more than 6" rains in lol with a good argument different than my own.
What is it there for? For game balance and to represent the fluff. Same reason you have slow and purposeful for Thousandson marines and their ap3 bolters. Same reason necrons have the phase out rule :P.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 18:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
So no one would question how far it can move, which is up to 6".
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote