Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deep striking Monolith
Old 08 Sep 2008, 20:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Deep striking Monolith

How many weapons can a Monolith fire in the shooting phase the turn it deepstrikes onto the table?

As a deepstriking vehicle it counts as having moved at cruising speed...can it then fire those gauss arcs?

Can it always use the particle whip to either teleport troops in from reserve/the battlefield or use the large blast template to smite some foes - as it isnt counted as a weapon?

Furthermore can it fire both its gauss arcs and the particle whip in a normal shooting phase - and if so must it target the same unit?

If the monolith deepstrikes and scatters onto impassable terrain (that cannot be stood upon (see skimmer movement rules)) like a stone pillar will it have to roll on the Deepstrike Mishap table?

Tassadar
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 21:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Deep striking Monolith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassadar
How many weapons can a Monolith fire in the shooting phase the turn it deepstrikes onto the table?

As a deepstriking vehicle it counts as having moved at cruising speed...can it then fire those gauss arcs?

Can it always use the particle whip to either teleport troops in from reserve/the battlefield or use the large blast template to smite some foes - as it isnt counted as a weapon?

Furthermore can it fire both its gauss arcs and the particle whip in a normal shooting phase - and if so must it target the same unit?

If the monolith deepstrikes and scatters onto impassable terrain (that cannot be stood upon (see skimmer movement rules)) like a stone pillar will it have to roll on the Deepstrike Mishap table?

Tassadar
1) It can either fire its Flux Arc and teleport a squad OR only fire a particle whip.

2)4th edition was yes, but with 5th i'm unsure of what to tell you.

3)It counts as a weapon, but it cannot be destroyed, and can fire even when it is moved, shaken, or stunned.

4)It cannot use both as far as I know.

5)Because it is not covered specifically (impassable terrain), I would say it has to make that roll. It is excluded, however, from the friendly and enemy models part of the rule, as outlined in the codex.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 22:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
1) It can either fire its Flux Arc and teleport a squad OR only fire a particle whip.
It is worth noting that if there are any Warrior units held in Reserve that have also become available, they must teleport in. You cannot choose to fire Particle Whip in this case.

Quote:
Oh... that's interesting, I never noticed that. The monolith is the only non-Fast vehicle that can Deep Strike, so the only unit impacted by this. This would also prohibit disembark/transport.

This really needs a FAQ/Errata entry. We're nerfed enough already!

Quote:
The Particle Whip is an ordnance weapon, and you can never fire both Ordnance and other weapons.

Also the Flux Arc targets ALL units within 12" of any point on the monolith - when fired, the Monolith will take d6 shots against each enemy unit within 12". This isn't the number of hits, it's the number of shots, which means you still need to roll BS to-hit for each of the 1 to 6 shots you get at each unit.

Quote:
5)Because it is not covered specifically (impassable terrain), I would say it has to make that roll. It is excluded, however, from the friendly and enemy models part of the rule, as outlined in the codex.
I confirm, impassable terrain causes a Mishap. All other models either smartly make way or slink back in fear, depending on their affiliation and/or level of courage.
Old 09 Sep 2008, 03:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What happens if the Monolith comes in on regular terrain like a hill and such?
Old 09 Sep 2008, 06:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

it lands on it...or hovers above
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 10:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

awesome thanks!
Old 09 Sep 2008, 19:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

After re-reading rules for skimmers, I must change my statement - a Skimmer CAN end it's movement on top of impassable terrain (I thought that had been taken out).

Based on that - skimmers moving over and ending on impassable terrain being a rule 'exception', the exception would probably apply to Deep Striking.

Additionally, rules for deep strike say that models may disembark from a transport that deep strikes, and rules for the Monolith say the Particle Whip can be used even if it moves (a unit 'exception'; but it can't fire flux arc) which would allow firing either particle whip or transporting or teleporting a unit on the turn it arrives (teleported unit 'counts as' disembarking from it as a transport).
Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Movement is different than deep striking however. I still think that the Monolith will have to make a mishap roll if it ends in impassable terrain.

Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote