Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tomb Spider Question
Old 02 Sep 2008, 03:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tomb Spider Question

you buy 3 tombspiders in a squad when you deploy are they three single units or one unit of three?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 06:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tomb Spider Question

Three single units. Each unit acts similarly to a cc dread in ability (but add survivabiliy and reduce the damage). This also means that each spyder is a kill point, so taking a lot of these cheap monsters is not the best idea. I personaly draw the line at three unless I am going over 2000 points, at which case the added kill points will bring me back in line with most other armies.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Sleep Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I routinely take nine, Ive only ever lost once, and never phased out. They are monsterous creatures, which means for the purposes of killing infantry and armor they are the equiv of a dread. Also keep in mind that they can summon a unit of scarabs, also known as extra wounds, around themselves...and keep in mind that they summon one per turn, while the model only costs a bit more than four scarabs. Clearly, a darn good buy.

Just remember...objectives don't mean jack if you table your opponents every single game.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 14:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

3 of them are one Heavy slot, but each Tomb Spyder can be used as a single unit. .

i need more, although Spyder/Lord with scarabs in front make a good CC force.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 02:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I use that as well...a sample 1750 list(very similar to what I use in tourneys) is as follows:

1xDestroyer Lord w warscythe, invuln, lightening
1xNightbringer
2x 11 warriors
9x Spyder w CC arms
3x 10 scarabs
1746pts

It gives you a nice amount of quick attack, with the lord and plenty of scarabs, to tie up anything that might be able to lay a hurting on the spyders, and the spyders run up behind cover/the Nightbringer, cranking out scarabs. The warriors generally sit on objectives, doing very little unless a random fast unit manages to sneak past the massive assault line.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
I use that as well...a sample 1750 list(very similar to what I use in tourneys) is as follows:

1xDestroyer Lord w warscythe, invuln, lightening
1xNightbringer
2x 11 warriors
9x Spyder w CC arms
3x 10 scarabs
1746pts

It gives you a nice amount of quick attack, with the lord and plenty of scarabs, to tie up anything that might be able to lay a hurting on the spyders, and the spyders run up behind cover/the Nightbringer, cranking out scarabs. The warriors generally sit on objectives, doing very little unless a random fast unit manages to sneak past the massive assault line.
9 spyders.
Although if the rumours are to be believed, you need to change the nightbringer, although also in the rumours is 3 new Lords, of which should be better ;D. I could do with a destroyer lord :-\

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
you buy 3 tombspiders in a squad when you deploy are they three single units or one unit of three?
Three single units, they can act independently of each other, and so, you can place one there, one here and one over there with no problems.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 00:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

This used to be awesome, but with current kill point rules, I fear I may have to run a different army...I'll literally be running so many units that I could table my opponent and still lose.

Old 16 Sep 2008, 07:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
This used to be awesome, but with current kill point rules, I fear I may have to run a different army...I'll literally be running so many units that I could table my opponent and still lose.
Sorry to jump into another board, (necrons not my team) but you can still win by tabling the opponent, even with losing on KP's, under wipeout..

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Eh, that helps. Still sucks though if theres one unit left, and half my army.