Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necron frustrations
Old 02 Sep 2008, 02:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Necron frustrations

Tonight I played a good friend of mine who has a massive ork army, and I lost. I cannot recall the last time I got so angry at anything, even outside of gaming. I will explain why in a moment. And yes, I am very competitive with these orks, as I have faced them many a time, usually with my Tau who almost always beat these orks by a landslide (in fact, my Tau had an 14 game win streak against these orks and several other armies).

The mission type was capture and control

I was fielding

24 Necron Warriors
1 Lord with 8 Pariahs
8 Immortals
6 Wraiths
2 Monoliths
7 scarab swarms

His army is irrelevent except for his Warboss, he uses Ghazgul rules and attachs 5 Mega Armor Nobs to them.

The battle went rather even for 2 turns, it was turn 3 when the game decider happened, heres how it went.

His boss and his retinue had killed a few warriors before I pulled them out of CC via Monolith portal, and I had a rez orb so, most of them got back up. But now, his Boss comes face to face with my Lord and his Pariahs. I charge into CC with them, thinking I can easily kill the boss and some of his nobs. Of the 20 attacks my Lord and the Pariahs hit, I caused an amazing.........1 wound. I was targeting his boss because he is an Independent character. I was targetting him for my attacks so his orks wouldnt have their "Prophet of the Waaagh!" ability. His warboss and nobs proceeded to cut down the pariahs and my lord, and they all died, and my lord failed his WBB. The following is why it was so important that he die.

If he had died, his ork boys on 3 places of the map wouldnt have been able to reach me in cc. In the next turn these boys killed off quite a few Necrons.
Because of his Waaagh, he also got some Nobs into CC with my Immortals, and killed all of them. With no rez orb, they died, no WBB. The nobs where also just barely in assault range with the Waaagh, without it, there could have been no assault, and my Immortals where in a excellent position to begin reaping a costly toll on his orks.

If his warboss had died, Im sure the victory would have been mine. When I only scored one wound, I punched the wall so hard I cracked the wood. I knew the game was over after that. The reason this loss stung so bad, is because it literally did a complete 180 degree turn as soon as that happened, all because I couldnt score 4 out of 20 possible wounds. The odds really screwed me hardcore. Sorry if it seems I an rambling on here. Anyone else had a game like this?
Old 02 Sep 2008, 06:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Necron frustrations

I had a game where I played static tau for the first time and while I shot my eldar opponent to pieces for two turns I suddenly found two close combat units wipe me out with some supporting scouts and a starcannon for my hammerhead and suits. It had looked like I was going to win without losses until turns three and four. Some damn lucky dice rolls in there for him after two turns of dealing pain, almost my entire 1500 points fell in two turns. However I congratulated my opponent, I didn't get angry and punch a wall. It's just a game you win some you lose some, the dice gods can turn on you just like in my game. People who can't accept that can ruin a game for the person who snatched victory from the jaws of defeat by bringing the mood down and being a bad loser. So much for being good friends if you can't smile and take it in good humour when things don't go your way.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 08:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Reading your list... Im assuming you loaded your Lord up as ROVOD w/ Warscythe, and took disruption fields on some units to make up the points (Immortals and Scarabs).

If you did take VOd, I've found that VOD isn't always useful if you want an assaulty Lord. Gaze of Flame can be much superior, if you expect to receive charges. Combine with a Phylactery to come back with more wounds, and a phase shifter for the invuln. VOD is great for a drop-in-and-shoot Lord+squad, or as I've called it, the "Necron Objective Taxi Service" (get your units to objectives fast, then VOD out to another unit next turn, and take them to the next objective).

2 Monoliths might be overkill; I love Monoliths dearly (have 4!), and play 1 even in a 1000 pt game. But you might want to try to get some Destroyers in there for chewing up targets. Scarabs make good interceptor units to tie up some units, but their low WS, T, and I means they can get swept easily.

You faced an assaulty army, and Necrons just can't meet that kind of force head on. The CC-oriented units we have are good at assaulting moderate units but often have a hard time with tough assault forces.

Sometimes the dice gods are fickle... I've also had games turn completely on the failure (or unexpected success) of a tactic (either mine or an opponent's). However, if a game is won or lost by one single maneuver, the true failure lies in the commander's tactics. Never put all your eggs in one basket, or the fate of the battle on the outcome of a single combat, unless you can be absolutely confident of the outcome.

If a loss makes you punch the wall... definitely need to relax or take anger management classes. Like Flibble said, it's just a game. If winning is that important to you in friendly games, I suggest you pack up your models and find a new hobby, because that's the wrong attitude, especially among friends. It probably also threw off your game and ruined any chance of recovery you might have had, as you morally threw in the towel.

I recommend reading Sun Tzu's "The Art of War". It's freely available on the internet, and is a series of snippets of advice. Only some bits of it apply to 40k, but there are gems buried in there.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 08:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, if I was that Ork player I don't think I'd ever willingly play a game with you again. I mean you said you had a 14 game winning streak going. 14 games isn't good enough, you have to get pissed off and hit stuff after one loss? How competitive are you exactly? Is this guy a mortal enemy? Does he harass you the whole time during games, boast about how he's going to kick your ass and steal your girlfriend? Did he vandalize your car or kill a beloved pet?

Seriously, there's really no reason for that. Especially when you end up putting all your eggs in one basket like that. I've had some of my own "perfect plans" ruined because of lucky dice rolls and it does suck, but you have to remember it's just a damn game and not let it bother you.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes I have beaten my friend 6 times in a row and then he got pissed off so wouldn't play with me so I let him win once > he has been playing for over a year and I started 1~2months ago. So you can see why he would be pissed off with me and himself.... I think everyone needs to remember "it's just a game, not your life" Punching a hole in the wall is not going to change anything except where your spare money is going to go to :P

VeNoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 07:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, it's just bad sportsmanship...as you can see from my sig, my brother has been kicking my ass with his Chaos army. So much so that I've been losing every game in a row for like 5-6 games. It's frustrating, yeah, because he sometimes does start gloating (ilke a child, "GLORY FOR CHAOS LOLOL", etc.) and it doesn't do much for my mood either, especially when I think I have a good plan and then bad dice end up screwing everything up.

But yeah, it's a game that revolves mostly around random dice rolling. You have to be prepared to accept that 20 possible wounds are only possible wounds and that stuff like that will happen. And me, I'm not really surprised, Ghazgkull is a pretty hard character and I don't think I'd ever count on cutting him down in one turn.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 09:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright; a couple of things first.

20 Attacks, hitting on 4+: 10 hits.
10 hits, wounding on 5+: 3,333 wounds

That`s not much; and there IS a large variety of die rolls, so 1 wound out of 20 is acceptable under the circumstances. Besides, Ghazkull has 4 wounds, so you had statistics against you to start with - so, NO. The odds have not "screwed you harcore". You just haven`t done your maths before charging.

Furthermore, even if you would have killed Ghazkull; the Ork player still would have been able to call upon a WAAAAGH!, only with d6" instead of 6" movement, so your army still would have gotten into CC.

And last, but definitely not least: I think you made a mistake. Even IF Ghazkull is an IC; you still can`t focus all attacks on him - models that are engaged, but have base-to-base contact with another enemy model have to attack said model - and you mentioned a Bodyguard of 5 Meganobs; so chances are rather big that you wouldn`t have been able to focus all your attacks on Ghazkull to start with.

With these "small details" out of the way: What are you complaining about? Losing is part of the game! I`ve lost/drawed the last 3 games, and I`m not complaining - every single of these games was enormous amounts of fun - and winning against the people next time will be so much sweater!

And especially after losing 14 games in a row, don`t you think the Ork player can be happy about his victory? I mean, it takes a lot of courage to stand up after 14 defeats, and keep asking for more!
I doubt that YOU would play someone after losing 14 times against him, right?

So, no sympathy from me (or rather, sympathy for the Ork player). Do your maths next time, don`t put your eggs in one basket, and, for heaven`s sake: be a better sport!

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 14:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Wow, is that right.

[sub]a lot of wounds if it is...[/sub]

But yeah, that stuff happens, bit like when my Tomb spyder got killed by a 5 man squad of Space Marines. i was like :-\. I still won though, those Warriors did a lot of damage shooting, then the Heavy Destroyer killed the Termie chaplien.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 15:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majusy!
Quote:
Wow, is that right.

Nope that's just how non-English speaker indicate fraction with a ',' instead of a '.' As a FSL teacher I got loads of fun with that one.

Sometimes the dice doesn't like you. in 4th ed, I had a friend who wiped out one of my unit and try to move in on my FW who were 1,5" away with his tacMarines...he rolled a 1. It was turned 4 and it allowed me to turn the table on him.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 17:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majusy!
Quote:
Wow, is that right.

Nope that's just how non-English speaker indicate fraction with a ',' instead of a '.' As a FSL teacher I got loads of fun with that one.
Thanks for that, Boneguard; and indeed, I`m not a native speaker when it comes to English.

Nevertheless, I DO hope you didn`t stop reading my post after discovering this little mistake of mine...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote