Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I don't want to ask ya'll to betray logic... BUT
Old 01 Sep 2008, 05:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default I don't want to ask ya'll to betray logic... BUT

I'm in no need to be a whinny arse-hole about my friend's Necron Army. We've only played 3 games, but I've lost every one to a Teleporting Necron Unit full of Gauss to pulvurize my Fire Warriors. I've now decided to equip my Crisis Suits with Plasma Rifles (----) and Fusion Blasters (-----) and have two Hammerheads with Ion cannons. This all in the hopes that I can put down the entire squad when he teleports right into the midst of my deployment to blow me apart. After the hopefully painful shooting phase, I'll counter charge him with my Kroot/Kroot Hounds. I've noticed I have to really put a lot of fire down to take out a unit of Necron Warriors, or else I give them the Will Be Back roll, and I just can't stand that thing. I know its a big thing with you guys, but its quite dis-satisfying when you've pumped enough fire power to take out all but one model in a squad of 17 models and then have only but 4 of them get back up to tear my squads of Fire Warriors to pieces. I was so mad! I agian, don't want to be a bitch about it (that wasn't sexist, its just how I was for about five minutes after that happened) but how do you think I can allivate my fustration? Should I put down enough fire to slay a herd of elephants, or what? Thanks for your help, oh very dead ones!
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 06:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: I don't want to ask ya'll to betray logic... BUT

fairly simple rule I use:

Stay together. Even if he deepstrikes his monolith you'll have another turn or so before the warriors come in on you. If your army is concerted together then you'll be able to cover your units as best as possible. Take 1 Ion cannon and 1 Railgun, Grab a pair of broadsides and you'll be solid. Use the Str 10 rounds (and possibly drop some Markerlights on the monolith) and put that beast down. Even an immobilized result will keep him from getting in your face and eating you alive.

IF he manages to get up close and deepstrike he'll have to face down everything you have, bring your suits to bear on him, and if you have to swamp him down in numbers. Kroot should be able take apart some necrons or at least be able to tie them up, while they're tied up you move your other units of fire warriors away (you should have at least 3, set up in a way that if any 1 gets shot/assaulted you can use the other two to back them up). When the combat is resolved your ready to either move back with your kroot, move them forward into a covered position, OR if they got wiped out you can now light up those two units of warriors with 2 units of Firewarriors rapidfiring, and an ion cannon.

Be wary that you should probably take a 4th squad of FW and put them in a Devilfish as a scoring unit to run around and grab an objective. Also remember that you need to not forget the rest of his army and play to Stop him from stopping you, that's the best way to put it....Figure out his phase out rate and work on what to ignore so as to kill what you need to to force a win (if possible).

all I got for ya.

-Knight
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 08:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

thank-you for a meaningful reply! I'll use what i've gleaned from it
Old 01 Sep 2008, 16:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Think of necrons as marines...the warriors essentially are, except for the WBB. Deny that, and theyre just overpriced marines with no powerfists, heavys, or specials.

In particular, Helios suits are quite good at finishing off necron units. This config is MT, Plasma, Fusion. Should you get them down to the last model, dont be afraid to charge in to beat the last guy down. Necrons are about as bad at melee as tau are, with the same init 2 and everything...with drones or kroot, you actually get to go first.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTerminator
Stay together. Even if he deepstrikes his monolith you'll have another turn or so before the warriors come in on you. If your army is concerted together then you'll be able to cover your units as best as possible. Take 1 Ion cannon and 1 Railgun, Grab a pair of broadsides and you'll be solid. Use the Str 10 rounds (and possibly drop some Markerlights on the monolith) and put that beast down. Even an immobilized result will keep him from getting in your face and eating you alive.
Even if the Monolith deep strikes, it can still teleport a unit (either from reserves or from within 18") and fire it's Gauss Flux Arc, OR fire it's ordnance weapon (assuming there are no Warriors held in reserve, which forces them to enter via Monolith - note that your opponent can only hold additional units beyond the first 2 Warrior units in reserve for entering this way)
Old 02 Sep 2008, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Even with this happening, the worst you suffer is one shooting turn and you should be able to handle the single unit of warriors and monolith with your forces at that point. I've never once had a problem with my Tau when faced with necrons, simply because all he'll have is the one unit of warriors coming from the portal, since you cannot attach a Character to a unit in reserves (as this must be done in the movement phase or upon initial set up of the army) there won't be a nasty lord coming out of that monolith to give them a res orb, therefore enough shots should wipe the unit out.
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 07:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTerminator
Even with this happening, the worst you suffer is one shooting turn and you should be able to handle the single unit of warriors and monolith with your forces at that point. I've never once had a problem with my Tau when faced with necrons, simply because all he'll have is the one unit of warriors coming from the portal, since you cannot attach a Character to a unit in reserves (as this must be done in the movement phase or upon initial set up of the army) there won't be a nasty lord coming out of that monolith to give them a res orb, therefore enough shots should wipe the unit out.
He could however, drop it and teleport up a nearby Lord and immortals within 18" that have been hiding. That's always a favorite tactics of mine. The downside is that the Monolith counts as moving for the DS, so the unit cannot then move or assault.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 16:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

do not units exiting the monolith's portal count as if the vehicle has not moved, so they can move shoot and assault but the shooting always counts as moving? This is an important question, as it could cause some misuse of the monolith (which is always a sore point for other players, expecialy those that have tons of trouble taking it down)
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Sleep Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 18:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep Walker
do not units exiting the monolith's portal count as if the vehicle has not moved, so they can move shoot and assault but the shooting always counts as moving? This is an important question, as it could cause some misuse of the monolith (which is always a sore point for other players, expecialy those that have tons of trouble taking it down)
Yes, but the only unit really impacted by that is are Warriors, I believe, and they can still rapid fire. Everything else is Assault or a Jetbike unit. (I can't speak for Pariahs, I never use them).
Old 04 Sep 2008, 13:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I had our battle and lost agian. He doesn't like using a Monilith, what he does is teleports from a far corner to the thick of my army and blow to hell with rapid fire my Fire Warriors, and before I can get too many rounds of fire, he'll teleport away. Really hit and run tatics. Basically, his army is a Necron Lord and a squad of Necron Warriors and some back ground noise. In a 1000 point battle, I have reconfigured my army to have 6 Crisis Suits with Plasma/Fusion getups and 2 Ion Cannon Hammerheads. I think I'm going to clump them up in a corner and when he teleports, he's only got one direction to hit me from and I'll pummel the shit out of him with concentrated fire. I hesitate to deny him to a degree the usefullness of his teleportation abilities as I'd have to sacrifice quite a lot of my ability to dominate the board. But as I have lost 4/4 now, I'll take a draw any day.