Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monolith and a huge unit
Old 27 Aug 2008, 05:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Monolith and a huge unit

With the new rules for disembarking points, I was wonder what would now happen with a unit of 20 warriors (or more) being teleported through the monoliths portal.

I personally think that the new emergency disembarkation rule would take effect and the unit of 20 (or more) would be able to disembark within 2" of the monolith, but then be entangled. This rule should also take effect if something evil is in the way of the portal, like some grots (eww, they are all green and runty).

If this rule does take effect, then a unit of 20 warriors in reserve would now be possible. While not the best for a quick response unit, they could be useful if a defensive position is needed and you have a turn or two before the enemy can get anything serious over to you or if the warriors would not be able to do anything of value in that turn. Another positive would be that fast response units (repeated wraith assault) would come out the gate and the unit of 20 warriors could be deployed behind the big block of cover (monolith). Now your dreams of intimidating the enemy with a monolith backed up by 20 warriors (which a quite difficult to kill in a unit so big) can come true.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Sleep Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 05:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Monolith and a huge unit

Ugh I really need to get the new rulebook.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I think the main problem with this situation is that the warriors aren't really in the monolith. They just walk through it. When the monolith is destroyed/catatrophic damage there are no necrons inside to take wounds/evac (with respect to the reserves pint). Also, while possible to still have the monolith cover your necrons, there is only one point at which the necrons pile out of the monolith (with respect to monolith defence).

Maybe I don't understand your point correctly :S, sorry. However I do love that the monolith is huge, and would make for the most hard to budge unit of warriors on an objective!
Old 27 Aug 2008, 15:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

With the new emergency disembarking rule you can put them anywhere within 2" of the monolith. so that one model ruining your day can now go to hell. A very flashy gauss flaying hell

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey Tijim, or anyone, I was trying to find this emergency disembark during one of my games, but due to the urgency of the game could not. What page is it on ???.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 18:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Troops exit the lith in exactly the same way as any other transport that has not moved. The thing is that 20 warriors cannot all fit within one disembarkation point. So because not all the troops can get out (similar to impassible terrain) they then are placed within 2" of the monolith and are entangled (cannot do anything for that turn). At least that is what I think would happen (what is more impassible than a blocked portal? (Just think stargate))

A similar thing happens when enemy models are blocking the portal. The only time models are destroyed is when there is not enough room to disembark at all (monolith surrounded completely), because there is no place for the warriors to stay within the lith.

Oh, the emergancy disembarkation rule is hidden within the disembarkation paragraph.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Sleep Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 19:16   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep Walker
(Just think stargate))

Hehehehehe....

Big flash, everything DIES.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote