Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wraiths......
Old 09 Jul 2008, 03:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Wraiths......

I would like to know all the info about wraiths like if they should be used in 1500pt army?
Also I've heard that the wraith has rending claws?

VeNoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 21:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Wraiths......

so far wraiths have no rending claws.
And, they could be used, it's up to the player to determine wether they are needed or not
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2008, 22:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNoM
I would like to know all the info about wraiths like if they should be used in 1500pt army?
Also I've heard that the wraith has rending claws?
I would first suggest getting the Codex: Necron book. It details what capabilities the Wraiths have including whether or not they have rending claws.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wraiths are a great assault unit, however, they do best against lightly armored foes. Their main weakness is their small unit size, and also that they occupy the same force org chart as scarabs/destroyers, both quite nice units, though for different reasons.

Wraiths can be effective in a 1500pt army...it all depends on what you need. Keep in mind, though, the models are a pain to assemble.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 02:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wraiths are an amazing unit, I never field my necrons without them in any game 1000pts or over. Their ability to move through any terrain is invaluable and the 3+ inv. save is just brutal. However their effectiveness is directly related to your opponent. Even a unit of 3 can only do so much against a foe in power armour and their lack of power/rending weapons somewhat hampers their CC abilities. However against any enemy with toughness 3 with suffer dearly in the claws of the wraith. The ability to insta-kill Eldar characters and ethereals is awesome. Regardless of your opponent I would always recommend using wraiths.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 05:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the constructive critism, it was a great help

VeNoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 13:48   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The tatics section has great info on how to use wraiths. If you use them bring in groups of 2 to hold units and 3 to use as an attack force. 3 squads of wraiths vs a charging squad of 10 assult marines should resolve like this. Wraiths with int 6 attack first, unless in cover but you dont need to keep in cover with 3 inv. save. 3 attacks each with 9 wraiths for 27 attacks result in 13-14 hits, with about 11-12 wounds and an avergae of 4 failed saves. They now have 21 attacks that result in 11-10 wounds with 3 failed saves. you win combat, you get 3 wwb rolls, and maybe 2 get back up. If they only hit one squad then that is ok too, the other two just charge the next turn and get joined by the ones that get wwb. It is better that they all go on one unit as there is no test for break if they are all dead so don't worry about that too much. Just the Power weaponds and fist. A destroyer lord with RO near is the best for support. Rince and repeat, or better yet have a unit of warriors open up on them first.
citizen-alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 01:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've never put more than 3 wraiths on the board at a time and in my opinion it just wouldn't be worth it to fill up all your fast attack slots with wraiths when your other options are either equally or more effective. My advice would be to stick with a single unit of 3 wraiths and use them in conjunction with scarab swarms. A unit of wraiths won't be able to hold their own for long against an assault squad, there unit size is just too small. They are more the assassins of the necron army being able to tie up whatever squads are causing trouble and being able to decide when and how the assault will come about. If there is a devastator squad hiding in the back send a unit of at least 6 scarab swarms to tie them up and then bring the wraiths in for support. In reality wraiths just don't have the numbers to stand alone against most dedicated assault units.