Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th Edition Strategy
Old 29 Jun 2008, 11:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 5th Edition Strategy

So, I just played my first 5th edition game yesterday, and I'm trying to wrap my head around what the new rules mean for Necron strategy/tactics. My puzzles:

1. Deployment - Now, a player either deploys first or second and they deploy all of their units at once. Does anyone have any thoughts yet on effective deployment strategies?
2. Flanking - Scout/Infiltration units can now be held in reserve and move on from a table side. I used to have one round of shooting at crunchy infiltrators (like a brood lord and his retinue), but now I have no such oppurtunity. What is the most effective way to counter this? Could I use scarabs to block off portions of a table edge?
3. CC in general - With the new run rule, CC happens even sooner now. Does this means I should consider fielding flayed ones and wraiths now? Historically, shooty units have been more points-effective...
karnij7877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2008, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 5th Edition Strategy

1. The deceiver is now very important if you end up deploying first...

2. You should still be able to shoot at them for at least a turn, and now they are a problem later in the game, if this option is taken. I wouldnt consider it an issue unless youve got an entire army doing it. However, I imagine a line of scarabs at max coherency would block off what...30+ inches of edge? Thats a rather large safe zone, and if they fear it enough to waste extensive firepower on the scarabs, all the better.

3. CC happens sooner, however, keep in mind that massacreing from combat to combat is no longer possible. Thus, the units most helped by this are units that either
A. Break so badly in combat that they leave the attackers stranded in the open. IE, guard and tau.
B. Are so so in melee, and thus, tend to take two phases to kill off opponents. Most necron CC units fall into this category, as they're solid, but not insane(ie, harlequins/genestealers).

Of more concern is the fact that glances can no longer kill vehicles. Sure...they can *help* kill vehicles, but simply spamming gauss weaponry isnt the magic bullet it used to be.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 12:08   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yep no more Land Raider hunting for my warriors :'(.

What are they going to do for fun now??

Lum
Old 30 Jun 2008, 13:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
2. You should still be able to shoot at them for at least a turn, and now they are a problem later in the game, if this option is taken...
Does this mean that they are not supposed to be able to assault the turn that they come on the board? If so, we played it wrong. I had two units within 12" of the board edge, so he just moved right on and assaulted both the same turn he came on. I don't have the book myself, yet, so I can't look it up...
Old 30 Jun 2008, 13:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They can certainly assault from right off the board edge, got to be careful of that, if you've dealt with Snikrot in 4th it's similar.

5th edition hurts tournament Necrons badly, our anti-vehicle is badly damaged by the change to glancing, and running allows units that were formerly unable to close on our Immortals/Destroyers to get in.

Defensive Necrons are hurt far worse, as the combat resolution change essentially kills Monolith/Veil as a credible anti-Melee solution.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 14:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Defensive Necrons are hurt far worse, as the combat resolution change essentially kills Monolith/Veil as a credible anti-Melee solution.
Wait, how so? I used that once or twice the other day, same as before...
Old 30 Jun 2008, 14:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnij7877
Quote:
Wait, how so? I used that once or twice the other day, same as before...
whereas before the only modifiers were:

below half str
outnumbered X:1

you would usually be making Ld checks on no lower than 7/8 after a particularly bad combat.

whereas now, if a unit of genestealers kills 9+ out of your 20 warriors in one combat phase and you dont kill any - you test on a double 1 or bust and are pretty damned likely to get cut down.
Old 01 Jul 2008, 03:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah...prior to this edition, Ld 10 was about as good as fearless. A small chance of breaking, but no wounds from outnumber. Now...not so much. And crons dont typically win combats by flattening half a unit in a turn(save for a few specific setups), they win by getting back up and simply outlasting the other guy.

Monolith/veil are probably still very important, though. Mobility will be at a premium, now that nasty assaulty things will get to us even sooner.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2008, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Karnij7877 I know from playing you in the past you like to load up your warriors on the back corners, tends to make me have to spread out and take extra time to get to you. I'd suggest leaving them a little further in towards the middle though. I know that leaves less room to maneuver, particularly when a lot of stuff has started moving faster with run - but it might be worth it to stop that Outflanking assault. 2/3 of the time you'll get hit on the side you don't want. But, if you figure just up against say my Broodlord & Retinue, they'll be able to move on and assault max 12" into you. That's a foot on either edge, but leaves you with a safe column down the middle of the board 4' wide on a 4' x 6' board. If you're up against a fleeting unit, like scuttling genestealers, it's max 18" assault either side (avg 15.5") leaving you with a 3' (3.5" avg) safe column down the middle of the board. I know that leaves a lot less room to try and flank, an probably puts you closer than you might otherwise want to anything deployed in the middle of the board running at you, but it might work out better for you than just leaving your stuff on the sides. Also, I know keeping your stuff spread out the way you did was safer against the unfocused Warp Blasts, but you probably don't want to leave enough room between your models to let stuff run through to assault the back lines that are a separate unit and tie them up in addition to the whatever the front line unit is.

Alternatively, Deepstriking something like your Monolith might be a more attractive option now that one side deploys entirely - it'd allow you to place it after you already know where most of my stuff is assuming I'm not deepstriking or outflanking a ton of stuff. The Deceiver could also be good assuming you get to pick your table edge/quarter and go first. Maybe taking that Veil of Darkness upgrade on your Lord would be a good idea. I know I always fear what you're going to be able to do with that teleporting option on the Monolith, I've seen you use that to devastating effect on me, so I've always wondered why you don't take that upgrade on the Lord. I usually rely on tying your stuff up in combat, if you can just phase them out of combat, deep strike back in and shoot me to bits, it's probably going to be painful for me, getting an extra option to do that doesn't sound bad.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2008, 01:51   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Historically, I've preferred the Monolith teleportation to the Veil, because I've had some horrible experiences instantly losing 480 points because of a bad scatter; plus, it's 60 points! However, since a bad scatter doesn't necessarily mean instant death anymore, it might be worth a try again.

I realize that I'm going to have to start hugging the middle of the board, but I find that extremely irritating. I am going to have very few deployment and movement options. And if there is any substantial terrain in the center, I'm really screwed.