Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Please tell me this is not legal.
Old 05 May 2008, 05:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Please tell me this is not legal.

Deploy the monolith as normal, along with a unit of three wraiths. You move the monolith 6" during the movement phase. As stated in the rules, you can teleport the wraiths through the monolith and place them at the door. Moving the wraiths 6" without them themselves moving. Then you move them 12 more inches after they have teleported, giving you 19" of movement on the first turn. You then get a 6" assault, which makes the grand total 25" of movement.

=/
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 05:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Please tell me this is not legal.

Power Matrix works in the Movement phase, so one could argue that passing through the Monolith portal counts as their movement... otherwise I can't see anything against it.

Yeah, that's definitely going on the "to complain about until the Necrons get a new Codex" pile... :shifty:
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Power Matrix works in the Movement phase, so one could argue that passing through the Monolith portal counts as their movement... otherwise I can't see anything against it.

Yeah, that's definitely going on the "to complain about until the Necrons get a new Codex" pile... :shifty:
It mentions that they cannot move before they are teleported, but makes no mention of afterwards.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 07:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Look at the necron 4.0.1 Faq: http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/...s_faq_v4-0.pdf

First paragraph under the heading: The Monolith.

They cannot move after being teleported.

Hope that this has put your fears at ease.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 08:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can we not quote that document?

Incidentally, according to the data at the foot of the FAQ, I cannot download it because it can only be downloaded to a PC. (I own a Mac.)

Legal warnings are idiotic sometimes.
Old 05 May 2008, 08:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn Queen
Can we not quote that document?
That is the only place this rule is, and until 5th ed comes out, it overrides the codex. Therefore, we need to use it.

As to quoting it, I cannot just copy and paste it, as it is an acrobat file, and I only have the reader for those. That said, it goes out of it's way to be clear that there is no movement allowed after depoying from the monolith portal.

As to pasting the link, I believe that it is ok, as many others here have linked to free downloads on GW websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn Queen
Incidentally, according to the data at the foot of the FAQ, I cannot download it because it can only be downloaded to a PC. (I own a Mac.)

Legal warnings are idiotic sometimes.
Does that keep you from downloading it? Or just warns you not to without preventing you?
Old 05 May 2008, 08:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

O ya, it's totally legal to link to official links. No question there. I meant, "ah you should just quote it ennit?" You should be able to copy and paste from Adobe... I know I sure can, maybe it's your browser. I was unclear as to whether it would make GW angry. They sometimes get angry for reasons that remain unclear.

I was just observing that the legal statement at the foot of the document is specific about the kind of computer you can use. It's obviously just an idiot's work, is all.
Old 05 May 2008, 09:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownKnight
Look at the necron 4.0.1 Faq: http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/...s_faq_v4-0.pdf

First paragraph under the heading: The Monolith.

They cannot move after being teleported.

Hope that this has put your fears at ease.
That's only if the Wraiths have moved, the monolith can move 6", teleport the wraiths, the wraiths can then move as normal, then the wraiths can assault (if they didn't turbo boost). It specifically says in the linked FAQ:

Quote:
If the unit teleported has already moved before being teleported, it may only be deployed within 2" of the portal; if it hasn't already moved, it may deploy out 2" and then move normally.
So yes todd, that is legal I'm afraid.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 09:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Monolith
  • When using the Monolith Portal, the Codex states that a unit disembarking from a Monolith counts as getting out of a stationary vehicle. This rule means that the move to emerge from the Monolith constitutes the transported unit's move. After all an extra move beyond teleportation is not stated as part of the deal. If the unit teleported has already moved before being teleported, it may only be deployed within 2" of the portal; if it hasn't already moved, it may deploy out 2" and then move normally.

There. Quoted in full. I still could not copy and paste the text, So I hope that the next best thing is worth it. I was about to upload the image of the revelant part of the faq, but I saw that doing so would have been a violation of GW's TOS, so I did not do so.

Now, if this is all there is to it, then the wraiths could do just what Todd suggested. But wait, they changed what the codex reads to no longer make the monolith count as a stationary vehicle. (source: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=64692.0 )

Therefore, the monolith counts as a moving vehicle, and the disembarking rules clearly show that you cannot move after disembarking from a moving vehicle. (Main rulebook, page 62.)

So therefore, no, I do not believe it is legal, as the FAQ does not enforce the monolith being stationary, the codex did, and that has since changed.

ps: Todd, If the quote of the FAQ is against the rules, please feel free to remove it.
Old 05 May 2008, 09:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

WTF... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, now we have the thing of whether or not the FAQ over rides this 'new codex' :P. To be honest I'm not sure what to say... other than GW is retarded :funny:, but yeah, apart from that... :huh:

eh... I'll just sit in this corner rocking back and forth, staring ahead and not blinking...
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote