Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need ideas to expand my army
Old 18 Apr 2008, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need ideas to expand my army

A little background, my primary army is 2,000+ points of static/hybrid Tau. I picked necrons as my secondary army because I like the undead feel and the resilence that they have, which is a contrast to the skirmishing JSJ deceptively fragile Tau.

I own

2 foot lords
50+ warriors
13 scarab bases
3 destroyers
2 heavy destroyers

This is enough to play a very troop heavy list all the way up to ~1500 pts, but its not very creative.

Yes I've read the tactica, but I was disappointed with the flayed ones/pariahs/wraith tactica's because they had a flavor of "they suck, use them for objectives" (IMO) and didn't really communicate to me how to use them in a combat role.

I know everyone says to use the holy trinity of immortals/destroyers/monolith w/ a veil lord but remember - I already have shooty tau - I'm looking for something different. I'm not opposed to getting some more, but I won't play a cookie cutter list based on them.

I'm primarily interested in building a CC based fear list with enough shooting support to be functional, but I always like options and variety so if you have something that you think would be fun as well let me know. Any advice would be welcome, and thanks!
Andy06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 23:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Need ideas to expand my army

Consider a destroyer lord. I mean, you've got destroyers already, and if you want a list thats capable of getting in close, having a lord that can quickly redeploy to different areas might be helpful.

Sadly, the holy trinity is probably the easiest way to make a powerful list, Necrons don't have a huge number of options, and while I wouldn't describe any of them as bad, some of them, such as a monolith, definitely are a huge challenge to a lot of lists, and are never really a bad choice.

Also, consider a Ctan. Some folks don't like em, but I find them interesting, and often quite powerful.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 23:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've heard good things from Flayed ones combined with Pariahs. It's still not as points effective as the other (standard) options though.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 00:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Destroyers en masse are also pretty potent, if you choose to go that route(if you do, let me know, Ive got some unpainted destroyers Im looking to swap off. Not my style)

Honestly, with the quantity of stuff in the necron codex, you can essentially pick anything you don't already own, and have a go at it. It's not prohibatively expensive to get a nice variety of stuff, especially since you already have the lord/warrior core.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote