Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

World Eaters vs Necrons, need advice!
Old 18 Apr 2008, 10:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default World Eaters vs Necrons, need advice!

Anyone got any advice on a World Eaters versus Necrons matchup where I'm the blood-frothing loon? Not got much experience against these bad boys.

How do I take down the Monolith and do I really need to? The only things I've got that can scratch it are:

1 Meltagun (not good, 6+ on one dice)
2 Lascannons (slightly better on a 5+)
2 Zerker's with fists (10 chances to score a 6 to hit, then needing 5+)
1 Combat Dreadnought (likely to be a sitting target to those Gauss rifles and only 5 chances to score a 6 to hit, but then only needing 4+ to do anything)
On the plus side, he's the type to deep strike it right into the middle of my army, so I've a good chance of getting into contact...

Any general tactics to remember?

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 11:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: World Eaters vs Necrons, need advice!

meh, that's sour, a deepstriking monolith :/ I wish you good luck! No idea to take it down quikly, the weapons you are going to use will do the job...20 shots will break it down, it's a mobile fortress indeed :P

Good luck!
Sjoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

How many point game are you playing. If it is a low point game you may want to concentrate on phase out.....but hey, :-[ this is the Necron board. It may be we would not give the best advice on how to beat a fellow Necron. :-X
Dadus Oldmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 10:58   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

One weakness of necrons is the small squad sizes of special models, such as destroyers. To get a "we'll be back " ( wbb ) roll a model must have one close by of the same type to copy, OR a tomb spyder nearby and a similar model elsewhere on the board. ( Check his codex for the measurements - I don't know if I am allowed to post rules like this ).

So a squad of destroyers will have a max of 5 wounds, and possibly won't have the spyder and another squad to help it, because points costs are high. It is not too hard to kill 5 wounds in a turn.

This translates into tactics quite simply.

Concentrate fire and/or close combat on a special squad. Aim to take it all down in a single turn. Once all the models are dead, they cannot get a wbb roll. ( The lord is an exception ). Once you have killed that squad, choose another.

Check where the lord is and does he have a resurrection orb? Some weapons and attacks deny a wbb roll anyway, which is overruled by the orb. Find out what they are from his codex. If a squad strays out of range of the orb, then it is a juicy target for the wbb-denying firepower.

Squads of warriors are hard to take down all in one turn, more so if they are 14 or more. ( I like a squad of 16 warriors with a lord+orb attached - very hard to completely kill ). Reduce the squad size with firepower first. Then charge. Your initiative will be much higher, so you will get to attack first. Use a power weapon where possible. The aim is to cause enough casualties to force a morale check on the warriors. They have a high leadership, so are not likely to break. If you can kill enough and concentrate your cc power, you might impose a morale modifier which makes the squad easier to break. If the squad breaks, because of its low initiative compared to yours, you should run them down.

The monolith is one tough problem. It also allows rerolls on some wbb dice, and can extricate a squad from your nasty cc trap, which is very frustrating for you.

To deal with a monolith either:

1. ignore it. concentrate on killing necrons. once he gets reduced to less than 25% he phases out, giving you a massacre victory. ( Check his codex for the exact definition ).

2. Go for it from the very beginning with everything you have. Keep going until it is dead. Then smash up the rest of his army.

3. This is IMO the least useful option. Spend most of your power on killing necrons, but every turn shoot something at the monolith in the hope of a lucky shot. It does happen, but not often, and the monolith usually soaks up some of your firepower which would have been better spent elsewhere.

Hope this helps. have fun.
anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Good advice, anaximander . Karma earned.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ignoring it is an even better option if it's being deep struck. Gives you a coupla turns to put a dent in the opposing force before it's even a factor. Now, if it does land next to the dread, and the dread is still ok, by all means, take a wack at it, but I'd keep the lascannons flattening the more annoying stuff.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks everyone (especially anaximander) for the advice. I think I'm a little more comfortable with the matchup now.

We're playing 2000 points and I know he has at least one Tomb Spyder, probably two.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote