Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rending WBB edge-case
Old 06 Apr 2008, 13:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Rending WBB edge-case

Ok, say I have one HD 6" from another HD. He takes two hits; one rending and one non-rending (which he fails the armor save for). I thought I remembered that rending hits were always counted as hitting last, but I can't seem to find the rule. Is anyone familiar with this rule? If not, can I still declare that he dies from the non-rending hit and is therefore eligible to make a WBB roll?
karnij7877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 13:53   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Rending WBB edge-case

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnij7877
Ok, say I have one HD 6" from another HD. He takes two hits; one rending and one non-rending (which he fails the armor save for). I thought I remembered that rending hits were always counted as hitting last, but I can't seem to find the rule. Is anyone familiar with this rule? If not, can I still declare that he dies from the non-rending hit and is therefore eligible to make a WBB roll?
Rending hits on initiative. I think you mistaken rending with the powerfist rule. Rending means that a roll on 6 while hitting means that it ignores the armour saves of the target when you are hitting a non-vehicle unit.

So no, you can not use WBB for the rending rule, as it ignores armour save unless of course you have the Ressurection Orb nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 14:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

But the hits that did not rend (did not roll a 6) hit at the same initiative. If he dies to the non-rending hit, he can make his WBB roll. If he dies from the rending hit, he cannot. Can I choose which he dies from in this case?
karnij7877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2008, 15:03   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

As a rule, Rending should apply first; Rending automatically wounds with no saves, and therefore occurs first as it skips two phases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2008, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Unless a res Ord is near by the HD is destroyed. No WBB roll allowed. The HD only has one wound. Since all attacks are happening at the same time, then the normal attack and the Rending attack both wound the HD. And since the HD took a wound from a close combat weapon that does not allow a save it gets no WBB roll.

Please note that this only applies to rending in close combat. Shooting weapons that rend allow for a WBB roll.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 07:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnij7877
The rule you are thinking about can be found under the necron lords entry, page 13, necron codex. In summary, if a lord takes multiple hits, everything that ignores WBB wounds first. Then if there are other wounds, the lord saves against them. If he falls saves from wounds that do not ignore WBB, he gets to roll WBB. But if the wounds that ignore WBB take off his last wound, he cannot get WBB unless he or another lord has a res orb within 6" of him. (the rule in the book does not explain things in detail, so I am clarifying the rule, not quoting it.)

Remember, rending will not ignore WBB when it comes from shooting, unless it is also Strength 2x the necron toughness.

Models killed by rending wounds are removed before other wounds, because they skip the toughness and save rolls, Wargamer is correct here. Just remember that initiative will override this for melee, as the highest initiative attacks are fully resolved before lower initiative attacks.

Therefore: The destroyer is killed by rending, unless the rending hit was in a melee, and a lower initiative then the non-rending wound. If it is in melee, he does not get WBB unless there is a res orb within 6". If it is shot, he does get WBB, as the rending hit does not ignore WBB from shots that hit the necrons.

I hope that answered all of your questions.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2008, 15:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thank you BK. I was in an awkward position on this, as I knew that the rending hit was applied first, but wasn't certain why. Wargamer's explanation didn't ring true, but I knew I'd read somewhere that the worst hits went first. I'd karma you but I'm not a mod on this board.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 15:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
Thank you BK. I was in an awkward position on this, as I knew that the rending hit was applied first, but wasn't certain why. Wargamer's explanation didn't ring true, but I knew I'd read somewhere that the worst hits went first. I'd karma you but I'm not a mod on this board.
Taken care of
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote