Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marines vs. Necrons I just can't beat them
Old 26 Mar 2008, 19:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Marines vs. Necrons I just can't beat them

I played a friend about 3 weeks ago, 1500pts he was necrons. After 5 turns all i had killed was 3 destroyers 2 heavy destroyers, 2 scarabs, maybe 5-8 warriors. He had killed 4 out of 5 assault marines, a 10 man squad, a 6 man squad, a predator annihilator worth 200pts, 10 scouts :'(, a rhino, and wounded a techmarine.

How do you defeat Necrons in a small battle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 21:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Marines vs. Necrons I just can't beat them

Post the army lists so people can help you better for starters
Old 26 Mar 2008, 21:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Focus on getting him down to his phase out number...so focus more on his warriors. Another thing to look out for is his lord if he has given him a resurrection orb, if he has then he can bring back his warriors (if hes within 12 inches) even if you punch through their armor. Necrons are slow, so use that to your advantage. Beef up your assault squad with a commander with a jump pack and a power weapon, that way you have a good chance of killing all of the warriors in base to base, then you beat them in the initiative roll.

Really, if all else fails, load up on landspeeders and force him to play take and hold :P

Aose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
Focus on getting him down to his phase out number...so focus more on his warriors. Another thing to look out for is his lord if he has given him a resurrection orb, if he has then he can bring back his warriors (if hes within 12 inches) even if you punch through their armor. Necrons are slow, so use that to your advantage. Beef up your assault squad with a commander with a jump pack and a power weapon, that way you have a good chance of killing all of the warriors in base to base, then you beat them in the initiative roll.

Really, if all else fails, load up on landspeeders and force him to play take and hold :P
He had lords with orbs attached to both groups of warriors. most of my fire and all assaults were directed at the warriors. I tank shocked with the rhino out of desperation to get them to fall back but a squad of 20 warriors is hard to kill. We were playing escalation and he got units in faster than I could. We were playing table quarters and that resulted in a draw. VP would have been a slaughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 21:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also if your going to shoot the warriors don't be content on just taking a squad down to two or four then shoot a different target. Shoot every last one of the Warriors in one squad until they all lay down then start on laying down the closest warrior squad to the one that got all shot up.

If there isn't a like Necron within six inches of a down model then it can't WBB unless a tomb spyder is nearby and there is a like model somewhere on the table.
Devilgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 23:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I played a friend about 3 weeks ago, 1500Pt's he was necrons. After 5 turns all i had killed was 3 destroyers 2 heavy destroyers, 2 scarabs, maybe 5-8 warriors. He had killed 4 out of 5 assault marines, a 10 man squad, a 6 man squad, a predator annihilator worth 200Pt's, 10 scouts :'(, a rhino, and wounded a techmarine.

How do you defeat Necrons in a small battle?
First, 1500 is an average battle, not a small one. Under 750 points necrons are easy to kill as they require so many points to field the two troops required for the force org chart.

Secondly, Sansa is right. We can help you much more if you put up the army lists.

Thirdly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aose
Another thing to look out for is his lord if he has given him a resurrection orb, if he has then he can bring back his warriors (if hes within 12 inches) even if you punch through their armor.
6". but the rest of what you say is spot on.

Returning to the original question:

Finally, what advice I can give:

If he has a large amount of destroyers (10 or more) you will probably have to kill most of them to phase him out, so lets worry about them first.

Cover is your friend, especially for devastator squads. When fighting necrons, put a few extra models into the devastator squads to soak up incoming fire, as his destroyers will almost always hit you first. If he ignores your devastator squads and stays out of LOS with his bikes, hit his warriors with them instead.

Drop pods will let you get right up beside his bikes to shoot them, so will deep striking terminators. Either can take down models quickly.

Land speeders with assault cannons will kill anything, just stay 25+ inches from the warrior squads until the Destroyers are dead.

Troops in land raiders, Bikes, and Assault squads can all assault nearby bikes (within 18") remember, if the Destroyers are tied up in assault, they cannot shoot you. Also remember that if he has two lords with his warriors, then they will not be near his destroyers to pull them out of melee. Use this to your advantage.

Worst case, get a pair of whirlwinds, and target the destroyers with them. A pie plate will easily hit 3 destroyers, and as any wound will cause pinning tests, (at a penalty for the ordnance blast no less) and two or more wounds will cause leadership tests, it will not be impossible for your opponent to fail a leadership test, either fleeing the table, or being pinned, pounced upon, and torn apart in melee.

If none of this works for your army, you can use a draw play to force his bikes to come into range of your big guns or melee troops. You do that by putting something he has a need to shoot at, (like a vindicator) in the open, so far back in your deployment zone that he has to cross into your gun line to kill it, or he will be shelled into next week. Once he does, pour the fire of every squad into his Destroyers.

Once you have killed the destroyers, you can either engage him from outside of his range using heavy weapons (predators, land speeders and attack bikes are great for this) or close into assault (where assault marines, commanders, terminators, and dreadnoughts shine) either way, you need only worry about killing enough of them to phase him out.

If instead he has few destroyers, just go for the warriors first.

Dealing with destroyers is the hardest part of killing most necron armies. The common opinion is to ignore them, but they do way too much damage to be ignored for the game. Far better to take them out quickly and end the terror that they bring.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 23:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wouldn't go the transport route if I was you. A warrior can down a LR with the gauss rule, so deepstriking or drop pods are the way to go. If you have any pie plates make his warriors feel like they are in a bakery. Focus on them with you pieplates and don't stop till they are all gone (so they can't get back up.) Thats the only advise I can give right now without the lists.

Quote:
Peek a boo, I steal from you. -Homer Simpson
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Can't touch me! Can't touch me!
Ju...ju...ju...ju...just like the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2
I've got diplomatic imunity so Hammer you can't sue...- Peter Griffin
darkblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblader
A warrior can down a LR with the gauss rule
Can is the operative word here. I cannot count the number of games I have poured warrior fire into a land raider only to blow a gun off here and there. There is only a one in 54 chance of it being destroyed with any given shot. That is better odds of survival than almost anything else that can damage a Land Raider. A smart necron player will aim elsewhere with his warriors unless there are no other targets, and save the Land Raider for heavy destroyers, tomb spiders, warscythes, or c'tan, all of which have a better chance of killing it.

But I agree with Darkblader, you should not risk a land raider unless you have no other options. I wrote my list of suggestions in what I consider priority order. And assault is hard enough, and risky enough, that I put it near the bottom for a reason. As we do not know your army list, I tried to suggest everything that has a good chance of working.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 01:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

In my experience drop pod armies are the biggest pain for my Necrons. When I am playing marines and I suspect drop pods are comming I have to deploy very carefully to intercept them.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:14   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Plasma,Rockets,Artillery and Flamers. I so despise things like this. Massed artillery fire can pretty much wipe out a single full squad of Necron Warriors, and its hard to maintain the WBB with a raggedy squad left over.

Plasma denies WBB. And so do some rockets. Flamers are effective because most Necron players like to arrange them in neat little blocks, as if they are playing Tomb Kings.

And if nothing else, deepstrike/drop-pods can wreak havoc by seperating Necron warrior squads and preventing gauss fire by engaging with them in melee than moving up your main force so that IF you lose your guys in CC, then you'll atleast be able to out shoot the recovering necrons.

And try to shoot down the Destroyers. They tend to be very annoying with their tank popping and the mowing down of the Infantry.