Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle reports...
Old 04 Mar 2007, 00:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Necronator
Default Battle reports...

Hi, i have recently joined the forums and have posted in the introduce yourself part of the forum. I currently play against space marines allot, so i will post battle reports of my recent battles here, read em if ya want, and it would be good if i could get feedback/advice on what i did wrong or right, cheers!

This is my most recent report of my battle, bear with me because it was a week ago, so there are some 'blurry' patches

Army list:

8xFlayed ones
12xWarriors
12xWarriors
1xLord with Resurrection Orb and Veil of darkness
1xMonolith
3xDestroyers
3xHeavy Destroyers
3xWraiths

Marines forces roughly came to this:

1xPredator
1xDreadnought
5xTerminators
1xForce commander
10xAssault Marines
9xTacticals
9xTacticals
1xDevastator squad

Turn 1 (my most painful turn)

dreadnought managed to take down all my wraiths, two failing invulnerable saves after rending shots and the other failing after a wound.
Terminators killed one destroyer and they failed their leadership test and ran off the board.
Apart from that, minimal casualties sustained (a couple of warriors here and there)

turn 1 (Necrons)

Heavy destroyers took out the predator, (yay!). One terminator and a few Marines get taken out by warriors

turn 2 (marines)

Devastators score a hit stopping the monolith from shooting next turn, heavy destroyers became dangerously close to assault marines. Same few casualties of warriors etc.
assault marines assault heavy destroyer, because of it being a single squad it could only charge one, it dies unluckily

turn 2 (necrons) warriors become in range of terminators, shoot at them, cause no casualties, The Lord's Warrior squad uses veil and deep strikes near tactical squad shoots a few down.

turn 3 (marines)

nothing much happens in shooting, minimal casualties devastators cannot do anything to monolith, Assault marines fail to kill the second destroyer they managed to catch up with.

turn 3 (necrons)

Flayed Ones managed to deep strike this turn, the go near the second tactical squad, (didn't want to risk getting them caught in crossfire, he put his devastators in a good place). Warrior squad without Lord shoot down some more tacticals, Lord squad is going to charge so only Lord fires. Particle whip takes out all but two devastators, heavy destroyer takes out dreadnought.
Heavy destroyer survives again, actually winning combat! assault marines stay.
Lord and warriors charge the tacticals. the warriors win the combat and the tacticals flee from the board. (woot!) Devastators join combat.

Turn 4 (marines)

Nothing much for him to do but wait and hope for the best. He cant seem to kill the destroyer, probably because it is a skimmer. Terminators try to attack my warrior squad, but fail, just out. They kill a few. The flayed ones draw combat with tacticals.

Turn 5

Lord deep strikes next to the assault marines. Heavy destroyer teleports away from battle. both heavy destroyers kill a terminator, gauss flux arc takes out the rest, leaving only the force commander.
Lord and warriors kill the assault marines (my Lord and his warriors are doing pretty good, don't ya think!) after running them down.

Turn 6

He has lost, but he doesn't concede. The other warrior squad teleports through the monolith and the Lord deep strikes, all charge and the marines are mobbed and killed, (not surprisingly)

Well, thats my first battle report, there will be another one sometime tommorrow/next week depending on when i next have a battle!

Love to hear your thoughts.

Necronator

I wish all followers of Khorne Or the nightbringer to have a very bloody Christmas!
What? even a berzerker hangs his horns up for a few days!

Back, stronger, faster, more experienced than ever

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Necronator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2007, 13:25   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Battle reports...

ok, this wasn't the kind of feedback i was expecting...

I wish all followers of Khorne Or the nightbringer to have a very bloody Christmas!

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Old 04 Mar 2007, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necronator
Wow, i wont do this again, took me half an hour to write these, only 14 views and noone can be bothered to even reply, what a pointless waste of time...
Calm down now. You only gave it a few hours overnight.

It is a cool report. I,sadly, see far too few of these on the boards and in the Necron codex particularly.

I have to admit to being a little confused by some of the events. How large was the table? I do not see how Terminators could catch you with assault cannons if he had first turn for the game. I am guessing that this table was smaller than 4'X6'?

Also, it would be really helpful if you deliniated how choices were taken and, although by no means necessary, list them by category. I.e.- HQ - Lord w/veil. Troops; 2x of 12xWarriors, etc. It just makes it a little easier for people to follow what is going on without having to spend a long time piecing it together.

For example, I thought your three heavy Destroyers were one Heavy Support selection. However, based on your description, you appeared to have them split up as three different ones...which means you had 4 HS when the Monolith is added.

It also would not hurt if you could give us an idea of wargear when facing an army like the Marines. What they carry changes their character quite a bit and would also help us follow and analyze.

One final note on the format; While it is completely unfair to expect it, if you can provide even a couple of pictures, it tends to spark a lot of interest. So, if you have the option, you might want to try for it.

Now that I have critiqued your formatting...

Looks like a fun game, all said and told. I prefer the ones that are quite close until the 5th or 6th turn. It is a little hard to tell how some things were happening from your description, but it looks like thigs got fairly close and personal in a hurry.

I cannot find any mention of him charging you with the Terminators, so I would say you lucked out there. Since at one point you stepped your Warriors up to rapid fire, he should have immediately charged you the next round and clobbered them.

I also think he wasted his firepower by, apparently, splitting his big guns across your force and not concentrating entirely on the Monolith or your troops. Speaking of the 'Lith, it looks like you made effective use of your Monolith, which is key since you pay so much for it.

Outside of that, there is not enough detail to really comment deeply on your actual play.

On your army list...

It looks pretty good. I like that you mix Wraiths with Destroyers. Not many people do that. I like to think of it, half-heartedly, as the mark of a player out for fun as much as the win. Well, maybe not that, but at least no a powergamer. Most lists jsut go either Destroyer heavy or Wraithwing if they take much Fast Attack.

I do see two tweaks you might want to consider. Your Warrior count is a little low. With such a large number of Flayed Ones and all those high priority targets this is not a tremendous threat to your Phase Out but should be considered. To remedy this, you might consider removing the 3rd Heavy Destroyer (Good for over 3 Warriors right there, split the other two into two seperate HS choices (+Monolith gives you a full three), and consolidate the extra Warriors from the existing troops into a new one.

This brings me to the second possible tweak. 8 Flayed Ones seems a bit much. Deep Striking also tends to go awry with them, as they lack any sort of ranged ability. Thus, they have to sit there for a turn and take a beating. I would pull of several to finish the third Warrior squad and then use the rest as Infiltrators.

So, there are my comments. Hopefully, you find them useful and decide to keep posting reports.
Old 05 Mar 2007, 05:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm very surprised how well your warriors fared. I wish mine would work that well for me

Nice report man, and pictures are always welcome. +1 karma and welcome to the forums.
Lord Of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2007, 17:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Battle Reports

Thanks

Old 07 Mar 2007, 18:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Snip

Army list:

8xFlayed ones
12xWarriors
12xWarriors
1xLord with Resurrection Orb and Veil of darkness
1xMonolith
3xDestroyers
3xHeavy Destroyers
3xWraiths

Unsnip

First off I've got some army list advice if you'd like. Not list advice like "Take X instead of Y", which I figure is your own deal, but just ways that using the units you've already chosen, painted and assembled can improve their effectiveness.

With the FoC being what it is the number of units you have is typically larger than the number you can field with your models.

Thus-

Heavy D's. You can have a unit of 2 heavy destroyers and a unit of 1 heavy destroyer for the same price. This is preferable to a unit of 3 heavy destroyers for several reasons. They can split up and capture seperate objectives. They cannot all be destroyed by one enemy volley. The enemy needs to kill all of each unit to render the 2 units non scoring. The second unit can fire at another target if the first unit has already achieved the desired result. A unit of 2 and a unit of 1, deployed within 6" of each other or near Tomb Spyders, seems to me to be the optimal way to deploy, rather than a unit of 3.

Flayed Ones. This is a similar vein. I believe you can have 2 units of 4 Flayed Ones rather than one unit of 8. This is not so clearly superior as the heavy d's, as there are some minuses, but I think that on the whole it is the better buy. As seperate units they can't be destroyed by one enemy volley, have better chances on Deep Strike to get at least one in on round 2, can infiltrate to seperate points if you are using them to capture table quarters, fighting as seperate units are better able to avoid enemy power fisters, etc.

Wraiths: You get the picture, 2 and 1.

Technical stuff:
You said "he can't seem to kill the destroyer, probably because it is a skimmer". You mean jetbike, right? Destroyers are hit by WS in H2H, not 6's like skimmers.

"Devestator's score a hit, stopping the monolith from shooting next turn". The monolith can fire its particle whip unless it is destroyed. There is no way to stop it from shooting without destroying it. Did you mean that it couldn't shoot its flux arc?

Bat Rep:

Sounds like a good fun game! I always love facing off with space marines, and it appears you had a see-saw of a battle. Losing your whole Fast Attack on the first round has gotta hurt. Dang dreadnoughts and their rending guns, neh?

Old 08 Mar 2007, 19:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yea, u have hit it on the nail there, cos this was just a fun game at a mates house, theres nothing too serious, i have realised some of my mistakes now, like having 4 heavy support etc. and am really glad that i am getting such helpful advice! keep it coming! :P

Necron