Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Reinventing the Necrons
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:23   #21 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Reinventing the Necrons

Making it Assault 2, however, would improve their tank-killing abilities... we need to keep that in mind.

Other changes...

1) Lower cost of Pariahs; they just aren't worth taking. However, lose the "Ignores invulnerable" rule. Nothing should ignore an Invulnerable.

2) Change the Flayed Ones so they can't always Deep Strike. Rules like that irk me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:44   #22 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Making it Assault 2, however, would improve their tank-killing abilities... we need to keep that in mind.

Other changes...

1) Lower cost of Pariahs; they just aren't worth taking. However, lose the "Ignores invulnerable" rule. Nothing should ignore an Invulnerable.

2) Change the Flayed Ones so they can't always Deep Strike. Rules like that irk me.

Like Space Marine Terminators...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:57   #23 (permalink)
Ethereal

I actually liked the idea of just giving them an invulnerable save, and moving WBB over to an ability exerted by other units.

Perhaps it could work like a Psychic power for some kind of Squad Leader Necron? Make a Leadership test and restore xd6 Necrons? The Resurrection Orb could enhance this.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 14:45   #24 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think necrons do need a squad leader. Give them Heirophants as squad leaders.

Think a tougher necron, with a staff of light (or something similar). Perhaps a Staff of life?

The heirophants were necrontyr priests before the C'tan confined the necrons to their immortal metal shells. These devout proponents of the Star Gods were the very first to accept the immortal life offered to them, and led the first of the immortals. They carry potent weapons know as a staff of life, arcane tools capable of unleashing a storm of energy, or raising fallen necrons so they may fight once more.

Every squad of Necron warriors must be include one heirophant (note I'm referring to the new squad that Wargamer already posted)

Heirophant:
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Heirophant[/td][td]30[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]2[/td][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]10[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]

Weapons: Staff of life.

The staff of life may be used in one of three ways. It may only be used in one way during any turn. It may either be used in the shooting phase as a weapon, in which case it has the following profile:

Range: 12"
Strength: 4
Ap: 3
Assault 3, gauss weapon

In close combat it may be used as a power weapon if it did not shoot in the previous shooting phase.

At the beginning of the opponents turn if the staff of life was not used as a weapon in your turn you may declare the Heirophant will use its power to repair any necrons that have been damaged or destroyed in the squad. The squad regains D3+1 wounds. This will bring models that have been removed as casualties back to life. The squad may never have more models in it than it started the game with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 14:48   #25 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Aren't the Necrons already pretty good at tank-killing b/c of gauss rules? They don't really need any more bonuses, do they?

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 15:42   #26 (permalink)
Shas'El

that and why does the staff of life bring back models that aren't there anymore- i understand models knocked down, but i don't think it makes sense if they're getting a model back thats (say) on the other side of the battlefield.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 15:57   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
that and why does the staff of life bring back models that aren't there anymore- i understand models knocked down, but i don't think it makes sense if they're getting a model back thats (say) on the other side of the battlefield.
For simplicities sake. It can be assumed that the staff not only repairs them but also teleports them back into position.

Alternativley perhaps the staff could function like an apothecaire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 17:34   #28 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

How about the Staff of Life, if not used as a weapon, allows the squad to automatically pass their first WBB roll (so if there's a Tomb Spyder nearby as well, you pass the first two WBB rolls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 18 Jan 2007, 18:18   #29 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

I think to be honest they should have slow ad purposefull, since a lot of fluff shows them to be slow that would fit them well, though prehaps have wargear that allows them to improve their SAP roll such as add +1 to the rolls or roll 3 dice for it instead of 2.

I like the staf of life rles given by wargamer, save d3+1 wound regeneration thing for the lord, otherwise they may be better than the current WBB rolls
Old 18 Jan 2007, 18:30   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I think to be honest they should have slow ad purposefull, since a lot of fluff shows them to be slow that would fit them well, though prehaps have wargear that allows them to improve their SAP roll such as add +1 to the rolls or roll 3 dice for it instead of 2.
An army with all Slow and Purposeful? This would slow down gameplay seriously.
Besides, just because something is written in the fluff doesn`t mean it has to be reflected in the game (there was a quite good comment about this in an older White Dwarf about the Space Wolves: Just because the SW are, in fluff-terms, battle hungry, they don`t necessarily need to have rules for it like the BAs do). Necrons are slow even now, without te rule, anyway (I don`t call 6" only movement without the option for a transport "fast").
Closed Thread