Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scarabs and blasts
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Scarabs and blasts

I recently killed 10 scarabs with one submunition blast. My question is, is this possible? It was questioned in the game later on by an onlooker, but it was too late to change anything.

Because a submunition is is a blast weapon, one wound becomes 2. So the 5 wounds I caused became 10.

Because the submunitions S is twice the scarab's toughness, each wound will insta-kill a base. So those 5 starting wounds would kill 10 bases.

It was argued that it is an either/or case, and I suppose it makes sense, but I just can't find any backing for that in the rules. And necron rules lawyers want to help me?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Scarabs and blasts

It does not double the wounds, it doubles the amount of time you hit and how could someone have ten wounds in 10 scarabs, or am I reading it wrong

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

No, it doubles the wounds, but it can only kill the scarabs directly hit by it. So you may technically have 10 wounds, but 5 of those wounds are on 5 scarabs x2. So no dice on mass slaughter of scarabs with submunition. You can still easily halve the squad with one blast.

The only reason I'm a rule lawyer is my lack of games played, and I'm way to slow and careful about painting. 2 hours per warrior!
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 00:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

10 wounds? A group of 10 scarab swarms have just under 31 wounds. Now they do take 2 wounds from those, and don't forget if the gun is Str 6 or higher it is instakill.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 05:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

I'd say the way it would work on this would be like this:

Roll to hit with the Railgun.
Determine how many scarab bases are under the blast.
Roll to wound each one.

And this is where instant kill comes in. Each wound inflicted would normally be doubled, but since the whole base is going to be blasted to bits, I'd say that in this case you could see the wounds as tripled (they have three wounds each).

But, you don't double the wounds before removing the bases due to instant-death. So if you initially inflict five wounds, you'll remove five bases, rather than doubling the wounds and then removing 10 bases.

Old 01 Feb 2006, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Ok, I guess that's fair anyway. I wish it was worded more clearly in the rules, but this is GW we're talking about.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

yea, I just hate it when they say dice when it is die. "What," I say," I can move 12" in cover MAX with my flayed ones!" I looked at 4 different examples with the last one finally saying to pick the highest.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Old 02 Feb 2006, 23:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

does the sub round even count as a blast weapon? i thought you only used the large template to determine how many models were hit? but yes, as said earlier, you hit, and wound on twos. any wounds kill a base outright. 5 wounds, 5 instakill bases.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Interesting point, does the pie plate count as a blast marker?

I think you will have a hard time getting someone to say 'no', but it's not really written anywhere is it?

Old 04 Feb 2006, 15:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

I say no.

Firstly blast waepons can indeed wound those that are not under the template, casualties can be removed from anywhere in the unit as long as they are in los and range of the gun that is shooting them.

Blasts cause double wounds.

2*S instakills.

So basically the quistion is:

Which one comes first, do they first take 2 wounds per base and then get instakilled thus making the vulnurable to blasts have no effect when against 2*S weapons.

OR

Does the unit take 2* normal wounds due to vulnurable to blasts rule and then get effected by instakill.

Personally I think it has to be the first option, as wounds are all placed onto the same model untill a full model can be taken out as a casualty when the unit has more than 1 multiwound model in it.

As such I cannot see how a hit on 1 base could instakill 2 bases.

It first takes 2 wounds then gets instakilled.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Closed Thread