Warhammer 40K Forum

Pariahs
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2005, 09:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Pariahs

Now, I don't play necrons but I know two people who do and from both of them I've heard the same phrase - 'Pariahs are too expensive.* They're a pointsink.'* I quite agree with them.* The pariahs have the potential to do great damage but more often than not they're taken out by normal assault troops or blasted to pieces by weaponry - such as starcannons.

I think that pariahs can be improved thus:

1.* Get rid of that rule which allows them to ignore invulnerable saves.* In my opinion the whole idea of ignoring invulnerable saves is stupid- because the whole idea of invulnerable is that it may always be taken no matter what.* Anyway - having something which ignores invulnerables only leads to a rise in the number of units which have as a special rule:

Invulnerables.* The unit may always make this save....etc etc - even against weapons which normally ignore invulnerable saves*

2.* With that rule removed - pariahs (who now just have power weapons effectively) can be made a lot cheaper - and therefore much more worth their points cost.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.* Feel free to contradict them....(insert nervous smiley )
Old 06 Nov 2005, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Pariahs

The #1 problem that I have is that they're not Necrons.

So I'm going to buy a bunch of these....not Necron?

and they cost at least 144 points? But you want more than 4, right? 6 or 8 is getting up in the 200-300 range....at 1500 points that's almost 20% of my army!

and they aren't that great at what they do? s5 t5 is great, but 1a and 3i? Better hope those Marines don't get lucky....

I'll pass.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 08:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Point wise 1 pariah=2 warriors. It's hard to tell what exactly they were trying to go for with pariahs.

Are they anti-psyker weapons? yes
Are they primary shooters? yes
Are they Close combat oriented? yes
Do they excel in any 1 task better than a specialized unit? No

If I want close combat I'll take wraiths or flayed ones, if I want shooting I can take 3 destroyers or 5 immortals for about the same cost.
I have 5 pariah models and end up using them as proxies for immortals in my games. I used them once and they made a good showing of themselves by killing a greater daemon, with shooting rather than they're warscythes, but on the last turn my opponent knocked down 1 final model and phased me out.

I've found that having a larger phase out number and taking a unit of 5 immortals for the same cost as 4 pariahs works better in the long run with VOD, the monolith, phase out, number of shots, and WBB.

If the cost of pariahs was 8-10 points less I would take them, but lacking the necron ability makes them a liability for too many points, like the c'tan, and the monolith. Great units with lots of power, but if you take all 3 in even a 3000 point game you're spending 679-955 points, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of your points on non-necrons.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

My friend collects necrons and has thought about buying some of these units. However for the size of the games he and I play mostly, it's simply not worth it as there are so many more valuable troops which cost less, and have the lovely (though somewhat horrific from my point of view) we'll be back rule.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Nov 2005, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, we've discussed this point to oblivion so many times.* Fielding Pariahs is like buying an Aston-Martin just to get to work...

driving 2 miles... with stoplights... each day.

Sure you look nice, but:

1. It's not a sound economic choice
2. You can do the same with other cars for much less
3. It's advantages and luxuries are 9 times out of 10 wasted on the actual use of the vehicle.
4. When you eventually do get bumped into or wrecked, you'll be financially off-set from the repair cost.

Of course if you got the money, go for it.* But Aston-Martins don't self repair... and neither do Pariahs.

And for a fielding price of $250,000 / 36 Points (Martin/Pariah respectively), those things need to be cooking me breakfast and rubbing my feet while telling me how wonderful I am at the same time!

-SaturN
Old 11 Nov 2005, 05:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pariahs are also pretty expensive money wise. When I bought my last one it was a dollar more for 1 pariah then for 2 flayed ones(both equally sized metal models ???, do green glow rods cost that much?). Now I buy obliterators at $25 a peice but they do cook me breakfast, tell me how wonderful I am, are great for converting, blow away nids, nuke tanks, melt marines, squish characters, etc. etc. Pariahs also tend to be fire magnets for big guns, 4 of them with one basilisk shell, thats a basilisk that just paid for itself ;D. They also aren't that effective against anything except Imperial Terminators w/ powerfists. Against those more expensive hunka junks that go last the scythe is pretty good. Pariahs just happen to be slow and easy to kill so they won't see combat with terminators :-\. Now if they had the necron rule and an extra attack I would have no problem spending 40pts for one. If they could teleport with a lord and actually be effective on the field they would be great, but as they are your just wasting points, lots of them.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 01:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

they do have one up side to all this - fear factor.

people will really try hard to kill these things despite the lack of we'll be back, and this is good (well...) as they don't count for phasing out purposes meaning you have at least another turn of shooting/closing the gap with the rest of your force.

the points are unfortunate considering that when it boils down to it they do the same job as a 12 pt scarab swarm
Old 13 Nov 2005, 20:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Pariahs are way too expensive, as has been said 1000 times before...

You are SO sigged:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturN

And for a fielding price of $250,000 / 36 Points (Martin/Pariah respectively), those things need to be cooking me breakfast and rubbing my feat while telling me how wonderful I am at the same time!

-SaturN
;D

~Olannon
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
Pariahs are way too expensive, as has been said 1000 times before...

You are SO sigged:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturN

And for a fielding price of $250,000 / 36 Points (Martin/Pariah respectively), those things need to be cooking me breakfast and rubbing my feat while telling me how wonderful I am at the same time!

-SaturN

~Olannon

;D
LOL!* Thanks man!* Although I'm kinda ashamed that the *ONE* thing that someone sigs me on, I have a mis-spelling!* So I have changed my personal "feat" to my two physical "feet".

-SaturN

Old 18 Nov 2005, 08:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To be honest the only thing I dont like about the Pariah is their initiative, if they were given an int of 4 (or at least 3) they would be a major force in an Necron army. Pariah are a strange bunch but can be an all rounders in the Necron army if used wisely and some luck is involved, especially when combined with a lord. At the moment, regardless of their weapon or rules I dont think the points cost justifies their place on the field. Either an movement in one direction is needed or changes in rules or stats to clarify their position.
Come on everybody sing along with me!
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Closed Thread