Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Amp questions
Old 16 Jun 2008, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Amp questions

I have a Fender frontman 15G amplifer for my guitar, and I'm intrested in getting a bass guitar. My question is, do I have to buy a different amp or different wires to use a bass guitar with the current one I have?

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: Amp questions

Same wires, different amp.

You will be able to play a little, but it will devastate your amp after a while.
Also, the lows won't be very loud in the basses extra octave.

brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

ok, thanks. Any knowldge as to if the bass guitar value packs are worth the money? Or should I buy a sperate amp and bass?

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 22:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

I don't know much about the started packs, but I hear Ibanez always has good ones.
Personally, I would look at pawn shops and other things for a used one, you should be able to get a much better quality thing used then new. (for the price)
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2008, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You ought not to use a guitar amp for a bass signal, it will overload a lot of the circuits because the signal is too hot, and it is designed for a specific frequency range, much of which the bass is below, and the amp will not be able to accomodate it. It is okay in a pinch, but at extremely low volumes. If you are running a 15 watter, there is no way you will get enough power to be loud withoud seriously damaging your amplifier after a while. Blown speakers, overloaded circuitry. Bass amps are designed to accomodate the input level from bass guitars for that very reason. If you ever plugged a bass into a mixing board or a 4 track and seen how drastically different the level meter goes red when you play a low E as opposed to a G you will see that the bottom end notes are simply far too hot compared to the upper register notes. They are thicker, more vibrations, larger sound wave. Guitar amps are not built to withstand that, there is a specific range of frequencies that the cabinet and the speaker are designed to accomodate.

If you want a cheap pracice amp for bass, I know Behringer makes one that has about 20 watts, dedicated for bass guitars, for around 50 bucks. Don't ruin your Frontman. It will be okay at low volume for a while, but in the long run, your bass will hurt it.

As far as the 'starter packs'... they are kind of hit-or-miss... the squier amp + bass kit is reliable but pricey, as is the Ibanez. All I have seen from Epiphone (the Les Paul ghetto version like squire is to fender) only have 10 watt amps. In my experience, a 10 watt bass amp aint worth a damn, because you need about twice as many watts as your guitar amp to compete with a guitarist as far as cutting through the mix, or a drum set, minimum you should look for is 20, but i recommend the 40-45 watt range 'Nemesis' or 'Behringer' if you want something that can play along with a drumset or a guitarist. If you crank it you can get a little rumble15 or a behrenger20 practice amp to work along in a mix but it will sound like muddy farts if you turn it up too loud.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 17:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could crank the guitar amp with the bass. The low E and A will seriously ruin it. The lead is the same, but you'll need a new amp. I suggest choosing from some of these:

here for Marshall You're looking at high prices ranging from 900 pounds up for decent ones. Besides they're all decent.

here for Hartke You're looking at pretty cheap and good amps, i think.

My brother has an Ibanez bass and amp which sound fantabilastic

Just my advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote