Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Covers that equal or better the original
Old 10 Jun 2008, 03:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor
Default Covers that equal or better the original

Like the title says.
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
TheEmperorsJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 04:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: Covers that equal or better the original

Um... the outlaws version of ghost riders in the sky, other wise, none that I know of.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

marilyn manson's versions of "down in the park", "tainted love" and "sweet dreams".

blueline medic's cover of "precious things" (originally by tori amos)

the gary jules and red paintings covers of "mad world" are both far superior to the original tears for fears version

and the red paintings cover of "the mercy seat" (originally by nick cave) is about as good

jeff buckley's cover of "hallelujah" is better (IMO) than the leonard cohen version. in fact, so is the rufus wainright version

the placebo cover of "running up that hill" (originally by kate bush)

the metallica version of "whiskey in the jar" as about as good as the original

the bauhaus cover of "ziggy stardust"

that's all i can come up with after a cursory inspection of my music collection...

++2 more that are worthy of mention. the cover of NIN's "hurt" by johnny cash is goddam amazing. in fact, screw the original NIN version. delete it from your collection and put the cash version in its place

and the gnarls barkley cover of " gone daddy gone" (originally by the violent femmes) is pretty slick. i mean, its drastically different, but it works quite well

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 06:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
the gary jules and red paintings covers of "mad world" are both far superior to the original tears for fears version
I liked Tears for Fears version better. I don't think Mad World was meant to be a melancholic song like Gary Jules made it to be.

Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower is better than Bob Dylan's. I think that's the most famous case.

Though I like Bear McCreary new one better, that's cos of my massive hardon for Battlestar Galactica.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 07:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

i dunno...i'm listening to the original version right now...and checking out the lyrics...and the lyrics definitely aren't the most upbeat i've ever heard

And their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

for instance. it just doesn't ring through as a particularly happy song to me

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 10:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy

The Clash - I Fought The Law
Manic Street Preachers - Umbrella

Only two I can think of.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 14:31   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Alien Ant Farm's version of Smooth Criminal - not only does this give the song a Hard Rock / Metal sound (which makes all things awesome), but the music vid alone makes this brilliant!

Fall Out Boy's version of Beat It - again, it's given it a Hard Rock edge. The vid is also kind of funny.

Manowar's Nessun Dorma - They're the ultimate in True Metal, and they're singing Nessun Dorma... and it sounds so damn good! ;D

Nightwish's Over The Hills And Far Away - I own their version and the Gary Moore version. Both quite different, so both equally good.

Battleheart's Journeyman - It sounds quite different to Korpiklaani's version, so again they're equally good.

And, finally, this! Seriously, I watched this when drunk out of my skull and I nearly pissed myself laughing! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 16:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Death - "Painkiller"
Dimmu Borgir - "Metal Heart"

... I will post more later.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nightwish - High Hopes (Pink Floyd), I don't think I prefer the Nightwish version, but it's still an awesome cover, considering it's live as well.

Gary Jules - Mad World (Tears for Fears) Gotta go with Fangs on this one.

Thin Lizzy - Rosalie (Bob Seger) The live single that was released is fething awesome.

That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've always liked the original version of "Mad world"... and I don't like the hundred covers made of "Enjoy the silence".