Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So, why do you hate Rap?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Apr 2008, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default So, why do you hate Rap?

I've noticed a widespread dislike amongst people for Rap music, and I was just curious as to why.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
Old 23 Apr 2008, 03:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: So, why do you hate Rap?

Just don't like it. Just like I just don't like country. Simple as that.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 03:13   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I used to not mind Rap and R&B, but after some time when the only thing you hear in the radio and see in MTV are Rappers and R&B artist, it turns me off.

Too much of one thing is a bad thing. Same goes for Emo rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

I used to really dislike rap, but since coming to college, some rap artists have sorta grown on me. Lil Wayne and Bone Thugs in particular.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 23 Apr 2008, 07:20   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
I used to not mind Rap and R&B, but after some time when the only thing you hear in the radio and see in MTV are Rappers and R&B artist, it turns me off.
Same here - they are freaking all over the place and I just can't move away from it in my college unless I go into the deepest depths of the building with my CD player.

Quote:
Too much of one thing is a bad thing. Same goes for Emo rock.
Theres loads of reasons why I hate this particular type of music... I won't go into it.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 09:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to IntCorps

i disagree i don't hate rap it's good plenty of meaning behind eminem when he raps
Old 23 Apr 2008, 09:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

cos it not real music it all produced via computer and technology stuff not like iron maiden who use real instaments
also it seems that any body can make money out of it music is not about the money it about the passion of it and how much you enjoy making and playing the music
and i cant make all the lyrics out
it not be remebered in say 25years time

IRON MAIDEN RULE GOD SAVE THE QUEEN BRITAINS BEST
Old 23 Apr 2008, 10:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, interesting. Now, my rebuttal(hehee)
1) It's all over the place. This is true. Rap has grown in popularity, and alot of what is produced is Pop. It's not stuff that should really be seen as Rap(aka Rythym and Poetry), because it's either club bangers or the gangsta/drug dealer crap.

In it's most original form, what some would call it's element, rap has been about expressing oneself. Often the "music of the ghetto" is about struggling in a life that just doesn't seem willing to accomodate people who arn't cookie cutter. It's about something deeper than cars, women and violence. Violence is still often mentioned, but it's got to be done with craft, with style. Otherwise it's just crap.

So what to do? Try listening to some GOOD rap. Quick intros:
Kanye West Graveshift
Lupe Fiasco Put on your Game
NAS One Mic
Damien Marley ft Nas Road to Zion
Atmosphere God Loves Ugly
Aesop Rock Basic Cable
Aesop Rock Float
Atmosphere Don't Ever Question That
Outkast Bombs over Baghdad
Styles P My Life
Jay-Z This Can't Be Life

Those arn't radio-play songs(anymore for some), and they're quite awesome.

As regards the "not real music", not all music is necessarily done with instruments. I'd hesistate to list acapella as somethign that's not music because instruments arn't used. Rap at it's core is spoken word, and it's intention is to surprise and intrigue with it's lyrics. A good series of bars should make you go: "huh? wha? did he just say that?".
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
Old 23 Apr 2008, 11:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution is my name
cos it not real music it all produced via computer and technology stuff not like iron maiden who use real instaments
also it seems that any body can make money out of it music is not about the money it about the passion of it and how much you enjoy making and playing the music
and i cant make all the lyrics out
it not be remebered in say 25years time
-I think youll find many hiphop artists have more passion invested in their work than many others

-Similarly, its hard to make out the lyrics in black metal songs, its just a matter of adapting.

-I think youll find it will be remembered in 25 years time. Hell, Run DMC? sugar hill gang? grandmaster flash? Theyre already getting pretty dusty and are still regarded as great artists.

I personally like a lot of rap, but then again, I like whatevers good, regardless of the genre. Ill just as happily listen to doom metal as I will dub. Its important to make informed decisions, so if you havent listened to a lot of it, you really cant make a judgement. One could say all australian hiphop is terrible, and I certainly wouldve agreed with them, until I heard Hilltop Hoods or Bliss n Eso who are excellent examples of the genre.

But then again, ive listened to emo/screamo/emocore/screamcore/shitcore bands, and every single one sounds horrible. So I think in the end it is down to personal preference, so you might just end up being someone with a very limited taste in music! But youll never know untill you listen to everything!

Old 23 Apr 2008, 11:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal DJ
i disagree i don't hate rap it's good plenty of meaning behind eminem when he raps
Must... resist... urge... to... [glow=red,2,300]FLAME!!!!!!!!!!![/glow]

Yeah, there sure is a lot of meaning behind the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminem
That's why I ain't got no time, for these games and stupid tricks, or these bitches on my dick,
that's how dudes be getting sick, that's how dicks be getting drips, falling victims to this
shit, from these bitches on our dicks, ****ing chickens with no ribs, that's why I ain't got no
time...
Yeah... wooh man, that's some deep stuff right there.