Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What Instrument Do You Play?
Old 16 Apr 2008, 20:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Feugan AM
Default What Instrument Do You Play?

I'm just curious, what instruments do some of you play? Do any of you have any hilarious or interesting anecdotes about an instrument you play/played? If so, do you want to tell them? Can you pull off epic things with said instruments? Are you intrested in any instruments? Etc?

Please note that any instrument is included here ranging from electric guitar to piccolo.

I play Keyboard Percussion for my high schools band, which is far more challenging then most people think it is. I'm usually on xylorimba, I've mastered two mallet technique more-or-less, I'm intermediate at four mallet (Stevens and I'm testing Burtons), and I've been screwing about with six mallets recently, but nothing playable... at all... Does anybody have any clue at what I just said?

I am aware that my name isn't spelled curektlee.
Feugan AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 20:20   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: What Instrument Do You Play?

I play the Saxophone, Alto Saxophone. Only instrument I ever seriously played with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 20:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
I play the Saxophone, Alto Saxophone. Only instrument I ever seriously played with.
I actually played that for a little while in 4-7th grade, but then I realized I sucked at it. :-X

Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feugan AM
I play Keyboard Percussion for my high schools band, which is far more challenging then most people think it is. I'm usually on xylorimba, I've mastered two mallet technique more-or-less, I'm intermediate at four mallet (Stevens and I'm testing Burtons), and I've been screwing about with six mallets recently, but nothing playable... at all... Does anybody have any clue at what I just said?
If I'm not mistaken you use an extended scale version of the xylophone which has wooden bars (keys) and are proficient at playing said instrument with a mallet in each hand but are also okay at using two mallets in each hand (held between the fingers) .... I've never heard of anyone who played with six mallets before (though I assume it's possible).

I started with private Snare Drum lessons form a military band percussionist. I was a percussionist in my high school band for 3 years but quit when I became the only one who could decently handle a drum set (which the school used for all the home games and such). I never could get the hang of the keyboard (I can't read pitch and tempo together at speed) and I always had a hard time with drum rolls (I can do them but I have a hard time of it) so I've always thought of myself as mediocre at best (just proficient and mediocre ) until some friends of mine got that rock band game for the 360 and I watched them try to master their version of a drumset. It's greatly simplified from the real thing but the principles are the same. Other than that I've almost gotten out of music all together.
The Gear Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken you use an extended scale version of the xylophone which has wooden bars (keys) and are proficient at playing said instrument with a mallet in each hand but are also okay at using two mallets in each hand (held between the fingers) .... I've never heard of anyone who played with six mallets before (though I assume it's possible).
Bravo. You understood my semi-crazy Pit lingo.

Quote:
I started with private Snare Drum lessons form a military band percussionist. I was a percussionist in my high school band for 3 years but quit when I became the only one who could decently handle a drum set (which the school used for all the home games and such). I never could get the hang of the keyboard (I can't read pitch and tempo together at speed) and I always had a hard time with drum rolls (I can do them but I have a hard time of it) so I've always thought of myself as mediocre at best.
My school has a ton of people in their battery, though very few of them can play a full drumset. I never really got into druming. I first play sax, so when I switched to percussion, keyboard instruments seem a lot easier than battery. I suck at rolls myself as well. When I try to roll on a keyboard instrument I'll end up hitting the keys next to one I'm rolling as well.

Also, viva la rock band. ;D

Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Used to play piano since late second grade, but haven't had formal lessons in...several years now.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I really think the only reason I understand what you're saying Feugan AM is that my band instructor at my high school was also a college professor (It was a private school in case that puzzles you).

I think the one thing I've got going for me is that I can keep a tempo like it's nobody's buisness and am quite good at switching between stuff like 1/4 and 1/3 measures (if I remember my terminology correctly.... let's see here.... one-e-and-a-two-e-and-a-one-la-li-two-la-li.... no joke it's actual stuff we had to practice).

..and yes, rock band has it's great moments
Old 16 Apr 2008, 22:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I suck at keeping tempo unless I'm familiar with the music, so you beat me there Gear Mechanic.

If I really wanted to confuse you, I could start talking about the different techniques there are to sticking, my preferences between different instruments and sticks, and so on and so forth. High School Band has corrupted my mind.

Old 16 Apr 2008, 22:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know OF many techniques.... just never used alot of them. ;D

...yes band will do that to ya'
Old 16 Apr 2008, 23:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I play piano quite a bit. I like to do covers of songs I really like and play them for my girlfriend. Right now I'm working on "So Far Away" by Staind.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote