Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Metal+Subgenres
Old 11 Apr 2008, 23:21   #1 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Metal+Subgenres

Heya,

am I the only one that thinks metal has too many subgenres?

-Avant-garde metal
- Black metal
- Classic metal
- Death metal
- Doom metal
- Glam metal
- Gothic metal
- Groove metal
- NWOBHM
- Power metal
- Speed metal
- Stoner metal
- Symphonic metal
- Thrash metal
- Viking metal

That's a list of basic subgenres I got off of Wikipedia. Can you name any other genre of music that has 14-odd subgenres? Now let's add in the rest of them, on Wikipedia called "Fusion Genres".

-Alternative metal
- Blackened death metal
- Christian metal
- Folk metal
- Funk metal
- Grindcore
- Grunge
- Industrial metal
- Metalcore
- Neo-classical metal
- Nu metal
- Post-metal
- Progressive metal
- Rapcore
- Sludge metal

That's 15 different "Fusion Genres". Altogether this makes something like 29 different subgenres of Metal. If you add in Pirate Metal, that makes 30-even. Does metal need 30 different subgeneres because one out of the many bands decides to sing about nu-metal, or use folklore to make it metal? I honestly think it's just metal elitism.

With the possible exception of Rock, Metal has the largest amount of subgenres, and I don't really think it needs them. I mean seriously, "blackened death metal"? Isn't that like...Death Metal? Or is there some line where someone talks about getting burnt and they pump the bass up a tad? Or how about Sludge Metal? The name just sounds stupid...

Let it be known that I do like some metal, mainly Nightwish, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. But if I recall correctly, they are all in different branches of the metal subgenres. You can tell Iron Maiden and Metallica do occasionally use similar riffs (and if you're a fan of both and haven't noticed that yet, shame on you). Nightwish does have a differing sound, but because it dodges around a lot (ie, compare Wish I had an Angel to Poet and the Pendulum) This isn't a single style of music, it's many, but what are they most famous for? Symphonic and Power metal.

Now I'm not saying we should stop noticing all sorts of subgenres of metal completely, but maybe getting rid of some of the more ridiculous ones. Seriously, Sludge Metal? Blackened Death Metal? I'm more than sure that I could easily find a way to categorize all of these into the subgenres given while eliminating some-odd 10 of them!

This being said, Rock does suffer from a version of the same thing, and for the most part you can just label things into "Hard Rock" "Soft Rock" and "Psychadelic Rock", with the possible exception of a few you'd just call "Rock", because it has no other category to be in.

Old 11 Apr 2008, 23:24   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Metal+Subgenres

A lot of it might be down to simple Eliteism, I would wager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 00:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

We should just narrow it down to two categories:

- Pirate Metal

- Non-Pirate Metal
Hive Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 02:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ya, i think there's alot of rediculous sub genres out there but i think that some of them are legitimate (although i've never even heard of "sludge metal"). There's a documentary i saw about the origins and history of Metal music "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478209/) and it broke down metal into various sub-genres but it actually had a legitimate reason for each one. The majority of the categories involved styles of certain time periods like the very very early metal pioneers like Deep Purple, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, than it talked about the 80's thrash (metallica/megadeth) vs the glam metal (motley crue, twisted sister), than into the more "modern" types of metal bands out there. Alot of it to me though seems awfully trivial and superfluous. For instance "death metal" is widely accepted has having much more graphic lyrical content than "heavy metal" but to be "black-death metal" the lyrical content has to be Satanic in nature (something that's covered in the previously mentioned documentary).

I know what i like and what i don't and try to not get caught up in all the categories.
NEO_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 13:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You forgot:
- Symphonic black metal
- Melodic death metal
- Technical death metal
- Progressive death metal
- Brutal death metal
- Doom death metal (or death doom metal, I don't remember)
- Drone doom
- Funeral doom
- Unblack metal
- Math metal
... they're all real.

I agree... it's getting quite ridicolous and annoying. You can use those terms to describe the style of some bands, but to create a totally new sub-genre of music out of it, is stupid.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 14:14   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Bah, screw all those sub-genres and sub-sub-genres and fusion-genres and... whatever. My view comes down to simply this:

Good Music.
Bad Music.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 14:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Basically, here all the metal genres that exist(I'm taking out those crappy ones that are slightly different) :

Metal (Jag Panzer, Savantage, accept, early Priest, Maiden)

Power Metal (All the new melodic stuff coming from Europe, as well as Helloween , Blind Guardian...)

Thrash Metal (Kreator, Sodom, Testament, Exodus, Have understandable vocals, lots of riffs, fills are every where)

Death Metal (Death, NecroPhagist Morbid Angel, Difficult to comprehend with grunted lyrics)

Speed Metal (Cacophony, racer X, Painkiller Esq Judas Priest, softer then thrash, really long solos and high pitched vocals)

Individual songs are placed in the categories, but generally these bands stick to one...

brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 15:25   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I just have a few:

Heavy metal / power metal: Iron maiden, Judas Priest, saxon ManOwar and the like. I'd put nightwish in the power metal camp.

Speed / thrash metal: Megadeth, Metalica, Dragonforce The good type of Speed metal - that actually sounds good.

Nu Metal: Slipknot, Linkin Park and Trivium (face it - Trivium is no where near Heavy metal (real heavy metal), and can't hope to even begin to sound like Megadeth)

And thats about it.

Oh yeah - anything with "Core" in the name is put into a seperate category: "We have no imagination" or "we are trying to sound different but we are infact clones of each other"

[hr]

Looking back at it it's similar to T poks.

And yes there are too many different genres. Heck, whenever a new band comes out it seems to bring with it a new genre.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 15:37   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Nu Metal: Slipknot, Linkin Park and Trivium (face it - Trivium is no where near Heavy metal (real heavy metal), and can't hope to even begin to sound like Megadeth)
I wouldn't really put Linkin Park into any "metal" category and i did like the last album Trivium put out but they are horrible live.

Any Machine Head fans? The Blackening is amazing and they have one of the best live shows i've ever been to.
NEO_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 19:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ah yes... Machine head. The blackening is brilliant. Real Heavy metal in a modern age. Through the ashes of empires kicked arse as well.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote