Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Old 11 Apr 2008, 18:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side

A friend of mine turned me onto this band and the only album i could find in stores is "With Oden on Our Side" (there most recently released) and it is definately a worthy addition to any metal collection. The band originated in Sweden and as the title of the album implies all of their lyrical content has a Viking/Norse theme so it's alot of war, violence, conquest mixed up w/ a bit of Norse culture and mythology.

The album has 9 tracks ranging from 3 to 6 minutes so it's still a decent amount of music despite the low number of songs. Some albums also came with a limited second disc with demo versions of some of the album songs and a few live tracks. The "bonus" cd is ok, but i didn't think it was worth the extra expense. The album breaks down into these 9 songs:

1) Valhall Awaits Me - excellent, heavy opening track and it really sets the pace for the majority of the album. The whole song is a pretty graphic description of a warrior striking down multiple foes but also being fatally wounded in the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZvtr-lpAU

2) Runes to my Memory - the band slow this one down a little bit, but the pounding percussion still makes it a very heavy track. This particular song describes a small band of warriors in unfriendly territory who come under attack. One of the men describes the attack and is killed during the defense of their ship and wills the others to give him the proper burial of Norse culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFq2YJKYa-k

3) Asator - after the more morbidly melodic detour of "Runes to my Memory" AA get right back into the heavyness with this track. It's the shortest track on the entire album but stays fast the entire length of the track. Alot of double kick and quick snare. The entire song is all about Thor in Norse mythology with alot of references and metaphor in the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-ExsTjafQ

4) Hermod's Ride to Hel - this is one of the more unique tracks on the album because it actually recounts a story from Norse mythology about the oldest son of Oden riding down into Hel (Norse equivalent to "the underworld" not necessarily a Christian "Hell") to bargain the return of his younger brothen Baldur. This song has one of the longest intros and for it's length, very little lyrical content. It's a very melodic and nearly instrumental track but definately one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwxQqtI2Hs

5) God's of War Arise - A very heavy track with some of the best lyrical content on the entire album. The song describes a war party that raids a village and than rape and enslave the populace before burning everything to the ground. Some of the chorus "Sacrifice to Gods of old, bleed them of their lives, fresh blood on our swords, God's of war arise!", \m/ brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxb91vawlpU

6) With Oden on our Side - The title track of the album but not one of the better ones. It's more slow and melodic like Runes to My Memory but it's subject matter is a little different. This describes a much more large war party greatly outnumbered but as a lightning storm quickly rolls in (assumed to be a sign from Oden) they fight with a renewed vigor and actually come out victorious. As the chorus says "futile to resist, you know why we have come...futile to resist, the battle is already won"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHAQgl4fAg

7) Cry of the Black Birds - One of the more interesting tracks. The beggining is a very melodic intro with a commander (presumably) speaking to his army. After about 4 lines of lyrics he gives the call to "attack" and the song erupts into a pretty heavy section of double kick which holds this intensity for the rest of the track. It's definately one of the tracks that just gets you pumped up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IvYM...eature=related

8 ) Under the Northern Star - By far the most melodic song of the entire album but still very heavy. The slow deep lyrics and eerie guitar really help to set the mood for the lyrical content describing the few survivors of a Viking raiding party finally returning home after years out to sea. The speaker is contemplating the circumstances saying their conquest brought them rich reward but only few of them survived. Debating whether monetary wealth was worth the death of so many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzjW-...eature=related

9) Predictions of Warefare - the last song on the album and an interesting way to end. The song is the longest on the entire album and shifts directions quite a few songs. Going from more heavy parts, to more melodic, to unexpected pauses and quick changes. The song describes a group sailing to Ireland and on their way one of the men is "haunted by dreams". The song than takes on a different sound as he describes the events of the dream. The song than comes back into it's original sound when the men battle the armies of the Irish. After the battle is fought the man realizes the events of his dream were a metaphor for the events of the battle..hence the predictions of warfare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sR-ZRQKjc

Lyrics - http://www.darklyrics.com/a/amonamarth.html

I've tried to include a clip of each of the songs so people can get a sense of the actual music. I tried to find something with good sound quality but since it's Youtube you can't really expect anything that great. There's also a link to the lyrics, since the band relies heavily on them i think the music is enhanced greatly if you actually know what is being said.

It's not the best i've ever heard and since it has very specific subject matter it's certainly not going to appeal to everyone but it's still a quality album with some really good riffs. It's something that you can put on and just let it play through each track, as opposed to some albums where your only really buying it for 1 or 2 songs and the rest of just filler garbage. Overall i would say a 3/5, it's quality metal but if you don't want to listen to over half an hour of blood, gore and Vikings it might not be for you.
NEO_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 18:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side

Eh, I think Amon Amarth is okay. I've definitely heard better, but I've also heard worse. A lot of their stuff sounds the same to me.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

The albums' been out for quite a while, but if no one's done a review yet it's fair game.

With Oden on Our Side is in my opinion the best album yet from Amarth, and a full breakout into a more melodic sound (if you've heard Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds, you'll know how thrashy it used to be).

Hermod's Ride to Hel, Under a Northern Star, and Valhall Awaits Me are my favourites.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2008, 18:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

My favourite Amon Amarth's album is "Sorrow throught the nine worlds", then comes "With Oden on our side"... it's funny, my favourites are their first one, and then their last one.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 20:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
The albums' been out for quite a while, but if no one's done a review yet it's fair game.
ya, i think it came out back in 06? I just recently started listening to them so it's something new to me. I did a search for the band but it didn't come up w/ anything i figured it give my .02$ about the album.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 14:20   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Amon Amarth... is... meh. In my opinion anyway.

If you want some good Viking Metal, IMO, go for some Turisas or Leave's Eyes.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 15:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
If you want some good Viking Metal, IMO, go for some Turisas
I had never heard of Turisas before i checked this thread so i tried to see what i could find and it's not bad at all. It reminds me of some Hammerfall/Kamelot and i especially like the folk influences w/ the violin and accordian but it's also a little less heavy than what i heard on the Amon Amarth album. It's still good music, just a different vibe. Thanks for the info.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 14:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee

September 23 2007, Melkweg, Amsterdam. They where playing as opening act for Dimmu Borgir. totally great. I think 'With Oden on our Side' is their best album, and 'Valhall Awaits' their best song

Yummifoamycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 20:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Amon Amarth are really one of my favorite bands, and one of the first Metal bands I listened to when first getting into the genre. Viking metal for the win! \m/

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote