Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Essential Nightwish?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:28   #1 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Essential Nightwish?

Heya,

I've decided to add some more metal to my musical selection, and I thought Nightwish, 'cause I honestly think they're pretty good, and I'm more of a vocal than instrumental guy anyways. Anyways, so I came here to ask you, what do you think the most "essential" Nightwish albums are?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Essential Nightwish?

I can't say albums because I don't really have many, but Highest Hopes their best of is pretty good. I'm sure people like Rafe and Silk will burn my house down for saying that because everyone knows that best ofs are never better than albums, but honestly it might be a good way to start your collection. (Plus it has a cool live version of High Hopes by Pink floyd)

The only proper album I have is dark Passion Play and although I personally think it's great I'm not sure how it compares to their Tarja era albums.

That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Anyways, so I came here to ask you, what do you think the most "essential" Nightwish albums are?
Hmmm...

My order would be:

Once - A good range of song styles - from the dramatic and, quite frankly, epic ghost love score to the more poppy Wish I had an angel; the album covers everything that you could hope for. Tarjas singing ranges from plain and simple singing to true full bodied opera and is a joy to listen to, Tuomas' keyboard ability rivals those of an orchestra, Emppu kicks arse as he always seems to do, Marco's bass adds a good bit of heavy to the metal and his vocals definately remind the world that the vikings aren't dead, and to top it all off Jukkas drums are both complex when they need to be and simplistic for those more quiet times.

As for the songs themselves theres enough to choose from that would make your average metal band jelous - there isn't any filler to speak of. Dead gardens, planet hell and dark chest of wonders hit you like a tidal wave. One after the other they hit home like a barrage Showing what nightwish is made of and why they are a premier Metal band, and the hight of the storm is wish I had an angel. Yes, it's slightly poppy, slightly hollow when compared to their other stuff but it's damn addictive. And then things take a turn. And definately not for the worse. Nemo. An Awesome song that really shows the chasm between evanessence and their ilk. It's beautiful, powerful and emotional and there no way you won't love it.

I can't go into that much details - I need to save my finger tips for the remainder of the albums, and my exam tommorow. But one song that stands out above the rest in the second half of the album (after the rather slow Creek marys blood) is ghost love score. If one word was to be used to summrise this song it would be epic. Not the internet definition of Epic (as in "epic win") but the true, clean meaning behind the word.

Just buy this album - and then you will understand why my Love for this band is like none other. It will be safe in status next to powerslave, painkiller and peace sells on your album rack.

Wishmaster - As soon as this album hits your eardrums you will hear the power and energy from nightwish. Trivium and Bodom can keep their lightning fast hot-shot guitarists. Nightwish have a mature one that doesn't call a guitar solo masturbating on a guitar. Slipknot's Cory Taylor sounds like a bemused ape in a blender compared to lyrical master piece of Tarja, whoever the hell thinks they can out master Tuomos's brilliance with his almost magical keys better have a minor deity on their side or else they are gonig to be out performed at every turn.

Two of Nightwishes best songs greet you into this album in the form of she is my sin and The Kinslayer. She is my sin just screams the lust that it is trying to portray (you just try deny tarja singing "Bless me, undress me pick your prey in a wicked way) as well as the excellence that comes from one of the most famous of nightwishes songs. And then we have Kinslayer - as dramatic as an explosion in a fireworks factory and as adrenaline pumping as being in the middle of it - it just goes and goes and ends with you wanting it more. Sadly, the next two songs really let the album down for me, the chorus in wanderlust just grates on my nerves everytime I hear it, and come cover me is just to samey all the way through. However - two for tragedy is just simply beautiful and Wishmaster sounds like tuomos was listening to too much Manowar - a help full of cheese thats drowned in an awesome song. Crownless is fast paced, energetic and has emppu at his best. The last highlight of the album is dead boys poem. A simple phrase to sum this song up - Tarja at her best. Forget anything that you may here from my winter storm (her solo work if you don't know) as this is the reason why her attitude was endured for all of this time. I'm not going to lie here, the first time I heard this song it brought a tear to my eyes, and I have to force them back each time I do. Essential Nightwish? Definately - you will do yourself an injustice in not buying it.

Dark Passion play - what ever you do, do not listen to a tarja-era fanboy when this album crops up. This album is as every bit good as Once, wishmaster and oceanborn. Yes, tarja has gone. But live with it - annete is a definatly good replacement to fill those boots. And if the founding member of a band describes working with her as "a living hell" then it's better for the band. Anyways - enough of this. On to the music!

The Album opens with something that can only be described as a masterpiece - Annete is at full force in this showing all that she is worth. It's lyrically brilliant, the intrumental portions of the band gel together into something marvelous and it really is another feather in the cap for nightwish. Not only can they prove that they don't need Tarja, but they can thrive without her aswell. It's worth Buying the album just for this song if im honest - it's one of the reasons it very rarely leaves my CD player. It's like a storm. It has it builds up into a raging blitz, it dies down into a quiet moment, grows and swells into a forceful blow as marco takes over the vocals from Annete, and ghosts away at the finish. Magic.

Of course - thats just one song (granted - it's 15 minutes...). Bye Bye Beautiful sees the return of the Viking marauder that is Marco as the stark contrast between the two sounds of him and Annete really keep the song upbeat and well paced. And then we come to amaranth. Yes, amaranth. theres loads of people that have heralded this as a pop songs and a sign that Nightwish are selling out. Bull shit. I wish I had an angel was in the same vein just with a different singer, and bear in mind that this album was written with Tarja in mind. However, the real gems of this album lie towards the end of it. Don't get me wrong the middle is awsome, sharah and eva are definately worth a good listen to (to be honest - I don't have the patience to write a review of every damn nightwish song in existance, im no frigging Malveaux) but it's at the end that the little nugget of brilliance lies. For the heart I once had really does show what Annete can do and rivals that of Dead boys poem. The islander goes to show that they don't need a replacement for tarja whatsoever - this song just goes to prove that metal is not just full of screaming Americans that has everything painted black or with their logo on. Heres the ability to sing something so heart warmily excellent that you just forget all of your troubles and get lost in something that is as timeless as the story it is telling. It's followed up by the exquisite ability of emppu in the instumental last of the wilds which is just... well... I can't think of a word. Buy it. Liten to it. And tell me.

The album finishes with Meadows of heaven. A definately nice way to finish it must be admited. However, if you do get this album then get the special edtion - the escapist makes up for some of the weaker songs on the album. Im looking at you master passion greed and 7 days to the wolves.

Oceanborn - theres a reason why this album is argued to be Nightwishes greatest. It just hits you with brilliant songs one after the other. Bang, bang, bang! Tarjas Operatic Vocals are turned to max in this, sounding very powerful, very emotional. And downright good. Gethsemane proves that metal isn't just about guitars as Tuomos grand piano comes out in force that should make any lead guitarist re-think his own work. Devil and the deep dark ocean is nightwish at their heaviest and it really does seem to rival an actual opera in it's complexity and the thickness of the music - the sheer amount of layers going on at once plays with your minds. and when it's done leaves you drained. And then we get to passion and the Opera - and to be honest this is just an excuse to let Tarja show off. But show off she does, and if you have any appreciantion for vocal talent then this song will sound very impressive. If not - 1 go screw yourself. 2 Go and listen to some Metalica. That sounds more like your level of sophistication. Again the texture of this song really does play a vital part with many things waxing and waning as it goes on, changing and devoloping.

The pharoah sails to Orion can be seen as the song that is the ancestor of later Nightwish songs - dramatic, complex and leaves wanting a sequela to the song. Except this switches between the guitar being the lead instrument to the piano and really achieves the mystical status of hte story being unfolded. And at last we have two fantastic songs - the remake of walking in the air and sleeping sun. If Passion and the Opera was Tarja showing off, then walking in the air is tarja singing as though it would be her last time - every emotion plays through your mind. It's one of those few songs that you just listen outloud in a darkened room. And to go with it you have sleeping sun. Listen to it when you are angry and your rage dissapates, listen to it when your upset and it's as comforting as your mothers words. It's a shame this list is as long as it is really - because I love this album, and you will too. It will be one of those that will be kept for ages, something that when your old and decrepid will bring a smile to your face in remembrance of what real talent is.

Over the Hills and far away - One song that just stands out on this album is 10th man down. Every band member is giving it their all in something that just feels so polished and so monumental that it demans a re-listen to.

Century child
Angels fall first

[hr]

Okay, okay - I haven't finished... But I will do eventually - I'm startnig to get a little drunk right now. So I'll finish when I can.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

alrighty, so I went to Rasputin, and it closed, meaning my hope of reasonably priced C.D.s is quashed :

I then went to the mall, to hopefully buy some used C.D.s, because those are the only ones under $20 :P

Long story short, I got Once and Dark Passion Play, and I have just busted payday from 2 different jobs, but I don't hate myself one bit ^_^

On Once I think I'm beginning to think that I like "Wish I had an Angel" the best.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:51   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I think The Siren and Nemo are my favorites from Once. I really like the openings... and Nemo actually almost choked me up first time I heard it. Very strong song.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 03:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
I think The Siren and Nemo are my favorites from Once. I really like the openings... and Nemo actually almost choked me up first time I heard it. Very strong song.
you got my vote there ;D
nemo was my "theme song" for very long
the video is also very good IMO

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 20:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

hmm...the most essiential Nightwish album? All of them. But if you can find it, buy "over the hills and Far away". Its an awsome EP, but buy the Century media version if you can, it has some awsome recorded songs on it (10th man down, all time favorite song here), and has some live versions of songs off the "Wishmaster" album, all which are great.

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 22:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Dark Passion play is the best, as it features their new singer Annette, but all the instrumentals are still just as good.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 03:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Don't know if it's the best, but I'm loving everything I hear from it...although "The Escapist" wasn't actually on DPP I don't think, which is a shame because it sounds awesome.

Tarja was good, but I don't really get all the Annette hate myself...people need to let it go. And they're all hung up on her image too, which you'd think real metal fans wouldn't care about. "She's too poppy", "someone needs to tell her not to wear a pink tie and Converse shoes to a metal concert", etc. :

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 11:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

too poppy? hahaha, anybody who is worried about them becoming "too poppy" just needs to take a look at the rest of the band.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote