Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How come punks are so pretentious?
Old 08 Mar 2008, 04:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default How come punks are so pretentious?

Really, why do punks(and al ltheir little...derivative...things) seem like such prentious mudpies. "oh, you don't know of <insert band>?" or "you like THAT song, thats the worst <band> ever made!". Ok. here's the thing, kid. I listen to what I want to. I dress how I want. I do what I want. Want rebeliousness and independence? I got it in spades. I LIVE the punk life.

So, why do so many of these "punks" dress in a conforming style and listen to what is popular.amongst their subgroup? And then tell me I'm a sell-out.

News, little buddy. I sold my soul to make a record. And you...bought..one.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How come punks are so pretentious?

I think the word you were searching for was "human beings", not "punks". No matter which crowd, they're all bloody pretentious.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 04:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Could you be a little more specific on how you classify "punks"? Ive been called one because I skateboard, listen to punk rock among many other types of music, and wear black. This in no way means that I would downtalk you for liking a song or band, as it happens to me for the bands I like all the time.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 05:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

You don't really classify it, that's the thing...there is no defined "punk lifestyle", and the people that would slap a label on it are so far from being "punk" it's not funny.

You'd likely have a hard time finding "real" punks because they're most likely the ones who never use the word. Johnny Cash is more of a punk than the sniveling, thieving, drug-abusing little snot at school who thinks he's King Shit because he smokes on school grounds and pierces himself with things he found on the floor instead of paying attention in class.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 10:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think you should the word "punk" with the word "ignorant idiots". It's full of them, they're everywhere. They make stereotypes for people. That's why people think that metalheads are alcoholic satanists, that goths are perverts that kill black cats at midnight, that punks are ignorant sociopaths willing to destroy everything, etc :P
If someon listens seriously to a genre of music, he'll never tell you that your bands are shit. He'll tell you that he doesn't like them. Pretentious people are just immature ignorants that need to take off their frustration by telling you that they're cool and that you're an idiot ;D
Old 08 Mar 2008, 14:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerjigormDeExile
Really, why do punks(and al ltheir little...derivative...things) seem like such prentious mudpies. "oh, you don't know of <insert band>?" or "you like THAT song, thats the worst <band> ever made!". Ok. here's the thing, kid. I listen to what I want to. I dress how I want. I do what I want. Want rebeliousness and independence? I got it in spades. I LIVE the punk life.

So, why do so many of these "punks" dress in a conforming style and listen to what is popular.amongst their subgroup? And then tell me I'm a sell-out.

News, little buddy. I sold my soul to make a record. And you...bought..one.

Um...I think you're getting your subcultures mixed up.

You're talking more about indies, punks are very unpretentious, their idea of a joke might involve blowing your car up and then sleeping with your significant other. :-\

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 11:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

Oh my God! That IS indie! Even when I say how much I like the band on their shirt, they just give me this weird look. I've realized that music is a topic best avoided in conversation with those people. What's wrong with them?

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
compubrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 11:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I don't even think they know.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2008, 22:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Dante18907

Hey... Indie's aren't pretentious... I listen to indie music and so do a lot of my friends and were not like that. Although... I guess in the bigger cities I can see it... Damn you majority of minority groups!! If we can be counted as a minority group for our taste in music...?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 23:11   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

It seems to me that almost everybody thinks their music is THE ONLY music anyone should listen to... and they don't seem to understand when someone doesn't like it.

Personally, I listen to anything that I like the sound of. No matter what genre it is.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote