Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blind Guardian
Old 18 Nov 2007, 03:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Blind Guardian

So, I am really curious wether or not you know this band.

Seeing that EVERY metalhead in Germany knows them (not always likes them though) I wondered how popular they are in the rest of the world.
Here you will find one excellent song, named "Born in a Mourning Hall".

To me they are simply one of the best power metal bands there are.
Scratch that, they are the best... period.

And for all of you who do know Blind Guardian: What is your favorit song/ album?

PS: Perhaps anone here knows "Demons and Wiizards", a sideproject betwenn Jon Shaffer (Iced Earth guitarist) and Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian vocals). I can not else but to recommend it to anyone with a decent taste for metal.
Here You can find a video on Youtube that features the song "Fiddler on the Green" (please don´t mind the video... : )

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: Blind Guardian

I love em, ever since I was introduced to their music in High School.

My favorite song would have to be The Bard's Song. I don't actually own any full albums though... gonna have to work on that.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've got their latest album A Twist in the Myth which I know many people say is quite different from their older stuff and some people don't like it because of that... but I fething love the album. Favourite songs are Otherland and Turn the Page.

I'd love to get into Demons and Wizards because I adore both Iced Earth and Blind Guardian so a combination of the two can't be a bad thing.

As to them being the best power metal band ever... possibly. They certainly are up there but i'm not sure if I prefer say HammerFall or Rhapsody to Guardian. Bah there's too many awesome power metal bands.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I've only heard Bright Eyes. Someone recommended it on a guitar forum, so I had a listen and then bought it off iTunes. I really like it. Haven't heard any others though.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak

Pretty much everyone who's heard of Power Metal should have heard of Blind Guardian. I like Nightfall in Middle-Earth, 'cause I love LotR ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
:sadnshocked:
Pedophile, bisexual, weirdo banana!
ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Bizarrely enough, said song just came on my random playlist...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I've got their latest album A Twist in the Myth which I know many people say is quite different from their older stuff and some people don't like it because of that... but I fething love the album. Favourite songs are Otherland and Turn the Page.

I'd love to get into Demons and Wizards because I adore both Iced Earth and Blind Guardian so a combination of the two can't be a bad thing.

As to them being the best power metal band ever... possibly. They certainly are up there but i'm not sure if I prefer say HammerFall or Rhapsody to Guardian. Bah there's too many awesome power metal bands.
Dang, I too adore "A Twist in the Myth"... sure it is different, but progress is not a bad thing IMO. My favorits on "Twist" would be "Fly" and "Another Stranger Me".

And while I really like Rhapsody (but IMO their quality went down after "Dawn of Victory") and love Hammerfall (same thing after "Renegade"), I still prefer Blind Guardian...

Quote:
I've only heard Bright Eyes. Someone recommended it on a guitar forum, so I had a listen and then bought it off iTunes. I really like it. Haven't heard any others though.
Check the link I provided. " Born In A Mourning Hall" and "Bright Eyes" are both songs from the album "Imaginations From The Other Side". Scratch that... go out and buy the album

Quote:
Pretty much everyone who's heard of Power Metal should have heard of Blind Guardian. I like Nightfall in Middle-Earth, 'cause I love LotR
Yeah, I had to read the "Silmarillion" in order to get the story, though...

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Whether or not Blind Gaurdian has the best overall sound is debatable IMO but they certainly have the best lyrics of any power metal band that I've yet heard. Another Stranger Me, Turn the Page and Skalds and Shadows have really interesting psychological and philosophical connotations and are done really well.

Quote:
I really like Rhapsody (but IMO their quality went down after "Dawn of Victory")
Personally I think that they surpassed Dawn of Victory with Power of the Dragonflame but then started dropping with The Dark Secret.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 21:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I really enjoy what I've heard of them.

What you said about everyone in Germany knowing them -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NACwXCTx6Fc
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 14:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

All I have is Imaginations from the Other Side. When I picked that up 10 years ago, I really liked it for a while. Now I can barely stand it. Power Metal of that sort lost its appeal for me. Same with Hammerfall, Helloween and all the rest.

Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote