Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

In the market for a new amp...
Old 09 Oct 2007, 02:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default In the market for a new amp...

I currently have a Randall 75 watt amp that I am just not satisfied with anymore, so I'm looking for a new amp. I've been to Guitar Center a few times and have tried various amps, so far I'm liking Vox and Line 6, but a friend of mine has a Mesa Boogie and it kicks ass! I was wondering if I could get some advice from our musicians here on TO;
- Do you own one of the three brands?
- Do you have experience with tube amps?
- Any brands I'm missing?

Keep in mind that I would like to spend less than $1,000 American (which doesn't seem like that much anymore compared to the Sterling : ), the genres I play most are Metal and Hard rock but a good clean tone is important to me as well.

Thanks in advance!

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 12:30   #2 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Default Re: In the market for a new amp...

Ok, heres the skinny.

The MB is by far the best bet but price wise it's going to be atleast triple the pirce of the Vox amp (which is the mid range of the three).

I already own a VOX AD120VT as my main guitar amp and its really good. It far outshines the line 6 range (except for the Vetta 2) mainly due to its greater customisable control of the effects looping... let me explain.

The spider and flextone line 6 models run a similair amount of effects but they are set onto two channels which you can control from the foot switch. The Vox contains 16 amp models (set seperatly) and 24 in built effects which are split between four channels. So whereas on a line 6 you can change two dials to alter your sound, on the vox you can set the amp modell and then change 4 dials (buttons really, and one dial) to alter the pedal effects, reverb, delay and modulation seperatly.

I have experience using Valve amps (same thing as tube) but only on my bass amp. To be honest you don't need to worry about this because out of all the makes you listed only the MB uses valves. The vox runs a midi channel through a valve pre amp (the high end vox amps do anyway) which gives it the crunch. The line 6 (except for the vetta 2) is all midi so you don't need to worry about that.

So, if you can afford it, go for a mesa boogie but bear in mind it will cost you literally THOUSANDS of pounds (double that for US $ if you live in the states) for a good one. The Vox is the best option at the mid range as it has greater versatility than the line 6 and actually uses some valve distortion (basically it doesnt sound like a swarm of bees, actually having some crunch). If you can afford it the Line 6 vetta 2 is the exception to this rule and is actually better than the AD120VT by vox, and if you can I'd go with that.

In terms of other brands, alot of people use Marshall, although I personally dont like them. You could also consider Ashdown.

Hope that's helped.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow, I didn't expect a response, nevermind a complete one...

Thanks for the advice (I'm assuming your recommendation is for Vox)... I'll have to go to Guitar Center and try a few of those out...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 08:58   #4 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

My recommendation is fo MB if you can afford it.

If, not I would suggest looking at the VOX AD120VT or the Line 6 Vetta 2 and seeing which one you like more (or if you can stretch to the vetta).
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote